SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What to do with Rem 788 in 6mm Rem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with Rem 788 in 6mm Rem Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I had a friend of mine about 20yrs ago give me his step dads Remington 788 chambered in 6mm Rem. Rifle shoots great, but the stock is low end, scope is junk on a set of Weaver look through scope rings so you could use your iron sights...which have been removed BTW. Other than maybe a small bit of surface rust or imperfection here and there from normal use over the decades from his dad, it has sat in my safe most of that time.

I was thinking of turning it into a project rifle, upgrading the stock, possibly barrel too. It got me thinking though. 6mm Rem is darn expensive and hard to find and with all the new 6mm and 6.5mm on the market, how hard would a conversion be? Would I have the mags modified or just change them out completely? What to use? Seeking advice from the SIFforum Brain Trust.

----
UPDATE: This little project is now no more. Not because I didn't want to do it, but the brother of the friend who "gave" me the rifle wanted it because it was his fathers. Keep in mind, I have had this in my possession for nearly 20 years now. Anyway, since I had no money into it, I gave it back so his brother could have it. If it were my fathers I'd want it too. Now I need a replacement or new rifle.

Grumpy...great looking rifle by the way!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The Remington 788 is a notoriously accurate rifle, spoken about in whispers among those that know to keep the secret.

I'd be on board with making the stock and scope to your liking, but I'd leave the rest as original as possible.

You might be able to get an original barrel in a different caliber of the same action length, but to get a gunsmith to change it any other way would add too many variables for my comfort.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New stock, rings and scope and rock on. My 788 in .223 shot amazingly well for a cheap bolt action. I used mine on crows out to 200 yards. And of course, like a moron, I sold mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Permit me to assist:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

I tried to max out every option, and came up with a $547.00 new stock. You could probably edge that up a bit.

Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Remington 788 is a notoriously accurate rifle, spoken about in whispers among those that know to keep the secret.

^^^^^
This!

My dad bought one in .243 for my little brother way back in the day. I couldn't tell you how many mule deer & antelope we've taken with that rifle. I'd either refinish or replace the stock & upgrade the scope. Apart from that, I'd leave it alone.
As a matter of fact, he's taking one in .308 on a black bear hunt this week back home in Montana.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If one was a reloader, the 6mm should be easy to deal with. I’d spruce it up & leave it in 6mm.

Like one of my 284 Winchesters, taint gonna find ammo at Walmart.

If you use it for occasional hunting, no need for that much ammo.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the 788. For me I would keep it as original as possible. If the stock is original and in good condition I would have it refinished.
I am a bit traditional. So that is my take. Congrats. I too would leave it in 6mm.Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
how hard would a conversion be?

No!

Please don't destroy a rare and enjoyable chambering.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sounds like spending $1k to turn a $500 rifle into a $400 rifle.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are about to become a reloader. That’s what I’d do.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buy 6mm reloading supplies and enjoy it.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

New rings and A stock refinish (or even painting if it is really plain wood) would be about as far as I would go.

Posts: 264 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
toss the crap rings, which were considered awesome back in the day,

find a nice vintage Weaver scope, or just put a new leupold on it,,

decent (standard weaver are fine) rings,

good scrub and clean,

buy a single stage press, brass, bullets, powder and reload,

no need to try to turn it into a big fancy custom rifle, just let it do what it was meant to do with some upgraded glass, and enjoy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had a 788 carbine (18") in .308 with a simple Weaver 1x3 on it for deer hunting in New England (most shots well under a 100 yards). I still kick myself for selling it. I'd get some new rings and an updated optic and otherwise leave it alone.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
Years ago, I had a 788 carbine (18") in .308 with a simple Weaver 1x3 on it for deer hunting in New England (most shots well under a 100 yards). I still kick myself for selling it. I'd get some new rings and an updated optic and otherwise leave it alone.

Full disclosure, my dad gave me almost the exact same (4x Weaver though) as my first big game rifle and I still have it.
If I'd known then, I would have scooped up as many of them in different calibers as I could.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you are a hunter, how many rounds are you going to put through it? Just buy the ammo.

New scope, new rings. New stock if you insist, but if it shoots good in the stock on it . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just did a medium search, didn’t see any 6mm ammo in stock at normal vendors. I imagine gunbroker & likely gun-shows would have some, priced accordingly.

A WTB add may bring some possibilities. Reminds me of when 284 Win factory ammo was impossible to find a few years ago. A local WI guy was hurting, since I like my reloads better I sold him a few boxes of factory ammo.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I traded a guy a Sig Mosquito for this 788 in .243 that had moved from California to Ohio (shotgun state) & wanted a .22 for his son.
Refinished the stock & reblued it, photos were posted on here years ago.
Love this rifle.
I’ll be odd man out here & say rechamber it. Wink

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nicely refinished, Grumpybiker

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
6mm Rem is darn expensive and hard to find and with all the new 6mm and 6.5mm on the market, how hard would a conversion be? Would I have the mags modified or just change them out completely?

Magazines are caliber family specific. A 6mm clip is not the same as a 243 or .22-250. A set of dies and a scrounging program for brass would be a lot simpler than a major caliber change.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote is refinish the stock with one of those kits, they work well. Get new rings and a trim vx-3 and start hunting 6mm ammo.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post