SIGforum
Followup-Weapon Mounted Light options for SBR

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5470094884

January 16, 2022, 08:46 AM
Nickelsig229
Followup-Weapon Mounted Light options for SBR
Streamlight hlx on a colt 10.5. This setup with the switch between the rails fits my hand perfect but im not sure if mounting like this holds up in hard use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickelsig229,

First In Last Out
January 16, 2022, 12:54 PM
SIG228
A couple of Cloud Defense Micro Reins on 13.7" and 16" SOLGW rifles.

January 16, 2022, 12:56 PM
offgrid
Similar to David W's light set up.

11.5". With my grip thumbs right next to the switch, very little movement to press it. Like the Modlite PLHv2 head, really punches out when outside yet not over powering inside. Have the current version of the X300 on a pistol, prefer the Modlite.

January 17, 2022, 01:30 PM
CPD SIG
https://inforce-mil.com/products/#rifle-lights

Another +1 for INFORCE. I have 2 of the 800 lumen ones. That scalloped end works perfect for where my thumb rests. I have the option of 400 or 800 lumen, and the lock-out switch is easy to manipulate.

It holds up to being banged around in the trunk of a squad car in all sorts of weather. It's been dropped, knocked around and abused... It's been working for about 5 years without a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Surefires! And have a few of their lights, all work flawlessly, but are heavier and more bulky than the Inforce stuff.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
January 17, 2022, 04:45 PM
SigM4
I’ve had good luck with a setup similar to PGT. Streamlight on an Arisaka mount and Cloud Defensive LCS.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
January 18, 2022, 08:16 AM
sjames
Thanks for the photos of your setups, everyone.

For now, I've moved the x300...which, on closer examination is a x300u so it does 1000 lumens...to the top of the rail and will search for the guard Para mentioned at the same time that I research other lights. Plus, the other x300 I have on my other SBR is an older model without 1000 lumens so I'll be moving it around in favor of a more traditional WML anyways.

Right now, I've found some good deals on the Surefire Scout with 1000 lumens, which seems to have basically the same specs as the x300. Won't be AS blinding for the user inside but bright enough for my purposes.

I am intrigued by the Inforce...seen them around before...but not wild about plastic but several of you have had good experiences.
January 20, 2022, 01:59 AM
CPD SIG
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Thanks for the photos of your setups, everyone.

I am intrigued by the Inforce...seen them around before...but not wild about plastic but several of you have had good experiences.

Dont be turned off because it's plastic. Hell, so is a Glock, and look at the abuse they take! The 1st Inforce I got is on my duty AR, and has been for about 5 years now. Rain, mud, snow, heat, sub-zero temps, banged and knocked around, used and abused... Still going strong!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
January 20, 2022, 08:04 AM
PGT
I have a few Inforce lights. Two bones to pick: a) they're not very bright compared to other options and the b) button doesn't have the tactile feel of other options so not as easy to use. They have a nice aesthetic and certainly are simple to use but they languish on my shelf over other alternatives.
January 28, 2022, 12:25 AM
Legal Beagle
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I have an Ariska similar to surefire scout on my 10” Scar and my 13.7”s both have Modlite PLHv2 with Modlite modbutton lites.

I agree with Para about the chance of accidentally hitting the button.

I'm with David W and Para. Scout light, modlite buttons, and either Arisaka or a T-Rex Lightbar (which was co-developed by Arisaka to be a sort of extension for SBR/suppressor hosts).

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/Lightbar-Scout-Mount/

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.
January 28, 2022, 02:14 AM
dry-fly
Cloud Defensive has a new, brighter and smaller version of the Rein coming out. They’re just calling it the Gen 2 Rein I think. Looks impressive.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
December 31, 2022, 01:45 PM
sjames
Happy (almost) New Year!

12/31/22 Followup:

Thought I'd update this thread

After taking Para's advice about the Unity Tactical switch shield and another poster's advice about mounting the x300 at 12 o'clock for most of 2022, I've just upgraded to a couple of Surefire 600DFs.
I'm testing the first one out on my dedicated thermal/night SBR before I add them to my HD SBRs.

Wanted to see what you guys thought about the pictured WML setup. I don't want to go with a tape switch.
I went with the Arisaka mount but found that I like it best about where a regular Arisaka offset mount would put it.

The one concern is it's proximity to the can. It's an Omega .30 cal can with a silicone heat shield (works well BTW) and the light is pretty close to the can.

I see that the guy at TRex arms (love him or hate him) partnered with Arisaka to expressly make a mount that extends the light alongside the suppressor for a variety of reasons so I'm fairly confident that heat won't really be an issue. I doubt anything will flex enough to matter but I'll evaluate it for wear/rubbing after a few range trips.

December 31, 2022, 02:03 PM
powermad
That's a pretty slick setup.
December 31, 2022, 03:47 PM
Rob Decker
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I just got in an Inforce WMLx.

After experimenting with a couple of other types, I really like the INFORCE because of how easy and uncomplicated it is to operate.

Another vote for INFORCE.

I have three or four of them and am testing one on my Benelli XM1014 to find out if it holds up to that much recoil impulse.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.
January 04, 2023, 05:40 PM
limblessbiff
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I just got in an Inforce WMLx.

After experimenting with a couple of other types, I really like the INFORCE because of how easy and uncomplicated it is to operate.

You have to watch those, they tend to discharge the battery when off. I have 2 and one does it, other one doesn’t. The one I have that does it is the smaller one, my bigger one is gtg
January 04, 2023, 05:59 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
You have to watch those, they tend to discharge the battery when off.

Thanks for the tip. Have not seen it, but if it happens ....

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
January 04, 2023, 06:59 PM
CPD SIG
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:

What's better than my current setup? Am I missing out by not using a more traditional WML?

Speaking of purposes, this is primarily a HD rifle, with obvious short range outdoors usage.

Any way to bring the light in closer to the rail?

I'm currently using an INFORCE like pictured in POWERMAD's post above. I have one on my duty AR- LMT Defender, and my AR Pistol (11in Barrel with Griffin Arms blast diverter).
They work really well for me on both weapons.

I've got a Surefire X300 with the pressure pad switch that's sitting in a box somewhere for another upcoming build.

I like both the Inforce and the Surefire, but right now the Inforce is really suiting my needs. Simple set-up with a simple switch that my thumb rests on, and easily manipulated in a high stress situation. It tosses out enough light at a distance I need (800 Lumens).

What's better than my current setup? Am I missing out by not using a more traditional WML?
What's "better" for you might not work for me. If what you're using now works for you, then go for it! I don't think you're "missing out" on anything- If that set-up throws out enough light at the range you need it, then it's good. If you can light stuff up so you can see a gun in someone's hand at 50~75 yds? Bright enough to temporarily disorientate someone down a hall or on the other side of a living room? Then I'm going to say "Thumbs up".

If you stick with the trusted brands- SureFire, Streamlight, Inforce, Ariska... You're good.
"Hey, I went to Home Depot and got a 4 pack of AA Flashlights for $20! I'm going to use that!"... Uhhh, probably going to take a crap on you very early on.

Pressure pad, thumb switch, scalloped switch on the Inforce, or the toggle on a TLR style.... That's up to you. The problem is you, and others here don't really have an opportunity to try different stuff out at a range at night. I like the strobe feature, because it just works for me. Others don't like it. I was fortunately in a place where I was able to try out other equipment and see what suited me before I tossed out a couple hundred dollars on gear.

Rubbing / wear marks. I have a different view on gear. Yes, I have a Safe Queen or two, and they are treated as such.
My work guns, well, let's just say they get used A LOT. They're going to get a little beat up. Don't worry about it, it's going to happen. I think the set up you have is going to work just fine.

January 04, 2023, 07:22 PM
powermad
Mine changed rifles and mounting.
I'm using a BCM offset that has some adjustability to it, the light shouldn't get hammered with muzzle blast too bad.
I have an end cap for a barrel that slips over the end for range use.

January 04, 2023, 08:05 PM
cas
The Streamlight TLR RM2 has a similar form factor as the Inforce, but also has the ability to use a tape switch.