SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help With Possible AR Purchase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help With Possible AR Purchase Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
I am looking at a listing that has an Anderson lower with an Aero upper. The details provided include:

ALG Geissele Handguard MLOK & QD Sling Points
AERO Upper Receiver
16" Mil-spec Barrel
Nitride Mil-spec Bolt Carrier Group
MAGPUL Pistol Grip
MAGPUL Stock
PSA LPK

Asking $650.
Owner claims 60 rounds through it.
Opinions would be very appreciated.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
can you buy a used AR for $650??

if not then go for it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
You could probably find a used Colt for that price, in most areas. I would pass, especially when you could buy a new PSA rifle for under $400.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You can go online and find the prices for everything listed except the "16" Mil-spec Barrel."

There is no such thing. The military does not use 16" barrels (closest thing would be the 16.5" bbl on the IAR, but that's linked to a proprietary piston system, so it would not be surplused into a DI rifle).

The description might indicate that it's chrome lined, but that would be useful to know.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who built it?

You can buy a complete PSA lower and upper for $400ish if all you want is a decent plinker

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not worth $650 for a used FrankenAR. You can get a new Ruger AR556 for less. None of the items listed are anything special or top tier. The Anderson lower with PSA LPK practically screams “poverty pony”.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others. Seller probably doesn't have bad intentions or anything, just isn't valuing his stuff right. For what it's worth, the ALG keymod rails have been on closeout for a while and run about half what the mlok ones do.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Not a good price at all.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
As usual, y'all come through with the skinny.
What a great group here.

I will pass on this one. Thanks, all!

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If you are looking to build and want a discount code for some Geissele or ALG parts, I have a discount code from the NRA show last weekend that I won't be using.

Expires 5/19/2019. Let me know if you want it. 30% off storewide on in stock items.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one is $490 from Brownells- you add buttstock, handguard and sights.

https://www.brownells.com/fire...r_1=AERO%2bPRECISION

Posts: 3577 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Very generous of you IndianaBoy, but I will be trading into anything I want in the near future.
Thanks.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy to build lots of youtube videos, then you can spend as much or little as you want. if your not into that I would try and find the 6920 colt. or any name brand, not that the franken ar's are bad but little harder to sell imo

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
For that money there's no reason to settle for a bitsa. Take a look at S&Ws or (what would be my personal preference) an Armalite Eagle-15. For $650 you can probably find other manufactured options as well.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palmetto sells ARs with geisele rails and other such features assembled and cheaper. Keep an eye out looking for all the acronyms people want, EPT, CHFb MBUS, etc...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Not listing the manufacturer of the barrel is a red flag.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
If I weren't going to build one myself, rather than buy someone's else build, I would look at purchasing a new AR...Bud's has new S&W ARs for under $500 (after rebate)...Bud's is easy to order from at a fair price...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...3rem%2f556nato+16%22

For a rifle with an upgraded trigger, stock and handguard (plus an 18" barrel and rifle length gas system)...you might consider this Ruger AR556 for not a lot more money...still under the price of the Franken-build (which might be fine)...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...hp/products_id/44367

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://palmettostatearmory.co...ontent=12%3a00+Email

$369 for an upper with Geissele rail and M249 CHF FN barrel.

Find a lower for $100 and you’re good to go.

Correction: it’s a PSA rail but still nice.

Posts: 3952 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
https://palmettostatearmory.co...ontent=12%3a00+Email

$369 for an upper with Geissele rail and M249 CHF FN barrel.

Find a lower for $100 and you’re good to go.

Correction: it’s a PSA rail but still nice.

That doesn't have a BCG/CH, or an LPK/LBK, so it would take a whole lot more than $100 to turn that into a rifle.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
OP do you have a specific purpose that you want to fill with an AR?

That would help me make a recommendation.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post