SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thermal scope recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermal scope recommendation Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm looking for a quality thermal scope to mount on a 10/22 takedown. I don't need/want a ton of bells and whistles (although rangefinder might be kind of nice), just good thermal imaging out to 100ish yards and the ability to also use it during daylight. Any recommendations in $1000ish range?

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a first model ATN THOR HD 320-x240 on my RAR. I gave $1400 for it as a SHOT Show demo. I also have one sold as a discontinued from Optics Planet I gave $1100 for.

If you want budget, they build it with a 160 pixel sensor that is good out to 200 yards for $999.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at this one today: https://www.atncorp.com/therma...ope-thor-lt-320-3-6x

It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but I can deal with that. What I don't know is how it will function during the day. Perhaps I'll buy it off of Amazon, that way I can return it easily is if doesn't do what I'd like.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They work the same in the day.

Day, night, they don't care. They don't use an amplifier, just have a germanium lens to filter the proper wavelength to the sensor. They don't see the visible spectrum of light and bright sun makes no difference. It will compensate for the ambient temperature. You can even reverse to black hot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post