SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice on trigger upgrade for AR-15.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on trigger upgrade for AR-15. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would avoid the Geissele SSA-E. Too light of a pull. The SSA is as light as I would go for a fighting rifle.
Another good point. When I was deciding between the the Wilson M2 and H2, I went for the H because it has a heavier pull weight. Definitely something to consider, based on the rifle's purpose.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross:
The G2S is functionally identical to the SSA. The SSA-E is a whole other animal, being only visually similar to SSA. SSA-E has a much cleaner and lighter break than the SSA/G2S.

You're right, my mistake.

I had an ALG GMS in one of my lowers for probably a decade before I popped a G2S in there last week. It's in a bag on my desk, it'll be the trigger that goes in the next lower I build. I have no complaints with it and it's a vast improvement over the parts kit triggers, but I did want to try a Geissele two stage.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've only got one Geissele trigger, it’s in my no expense spared 6.5 Creedmoor which is JP Enterprise (except stock, grip & trigger) that I built a few years ago, it the SSA-E and while I’m not a trigger connoisseur I don’t see the $200 difference between it and a RRA Varmint trigger.

I’ve got several RRA set-triggers that I’ve bought over the last 10 years or so … I’m used to them so there may be some bias in my post … for the price I might get one of those Centurion triggers, they’re about the same price as the RRA (last time I bought one) and they look like the identical design.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5723 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to thank you Para for your informative write up, helped my thinking on the two-stage trigger.

I wasn't even aware of the ALG triggers before this thread, but now the ACT version has me seriously considering it.

Posts: 82 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built all my AR's with Timney 3 lbs. single stage triggers. Yeah, I put 3 lbs. triggers on my AR's. So What. I have good trigger discipline and use my safety When I'm not actually shooting at something.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eaganite:
Bought my first AR-15 January this year from PSA. Had operational issues initially, but to PSA's credit they covered all shipping costs to return for warranty.After return has been working perfect.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading the trigger, and think I've narrowed it down to two options. First one being the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S two-stage, the other being PSA's custom Single-stage flat drop-in match grade - 116055 trigger. At $115 for the LaRue and $90 for the PSA price isn't the main consideration.

I have never used a two-stage before and am somewhat apprehensive to buy it, kind of seems like designed creep before release. Open to any advice and thoughts about this, thanks in advance.

Eaganite - I'm assuming that I know what town your in, but if you are interested, I can meet up with you after the first of the year and I have a lowers with a LaRue trigger, a Timney trigger, and a JP Enterprises trigger that you can try out on your upper and see if any of them seems like something that you have to have.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If this rifle is intended for anything other than scoped, precision shooting, I would avoid the Geissele SSA-E. Too light of a pull. The SSA is as light as I would go for a fighting rifle. Even at that, the SSA may be a bit too light for an over-adrenalized shooter. I do own both these triggers and use the SSA in my mainline ARs. I love the SSA and I cannot see myself ever replacing them. I have an SSA-E in one AR intended primarily for shooting from a bipod.

In terms of "creep" as you describe it, it's not what you think. It's just a bit of takeup and if you have need to pull the trigger quickly, you won't notice it at all. This takeup is not objectionable- unless, that is, you expect all AR triggers to be single-stage. If you've fired many rounds through an AR with a mil-spec trigger, a two-stage trigger just takes getting used to. The SSA is a refined pull, and if you're not aware, these Geissele triggers are in use with US Special Forces.

For single-stage triggers, look no further than ALG's QMS and ACT. The QMS is a refined version of the standard mil-spec AR trigger and the ACT is a refined version of the QMS

Both of these triggers beat mil-spec by a mile. The important thing is to have the hammer/sear engagement surfaces (and in the AR-15, this is a hammer/trigger interface) lubricated with a quality grease (I use SLIP2000's EWG).

Before I switched my primary rifles to the SSA/SSA-E, I used the QMS and ACT triggers and I can tell you that they are worth every penny of the asking price. In terms of mil-spec design AR triggers, both the QMS and the ACT- when properly lubed- have absolutely creepless releases. This is no exaggeration. Creep is undetectable, a really beautiful pull. The difference between these two triggers is that the ACT averages a bit lighter pull than the QMS. An unlubed or inadequately lubed QMS trigger can display a bit of creep if pressure is applied slowly. Other than that, once you try these triggers, you're spoiled for any other manufacturer's mil-spec offerings.

In terms of mil-spec-type triggers, the ACT is a thing of beauty. If you like a single-stage pull, you'll love the ACT. I still have rifles with both QMS and ACT triggers but these are not rifles I consider to be primary for me. For my mainline rifles, the SSA is king.

I’m not sure if buying from Geissele is the way to go but the ALG stuff is on sale for 15% off right now.
https://geissele.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

I ordered a LPK with the ACT trigger group. Thanks for the advice.

And the SSS & SSA-E trigger groups are 30% off.
https://geissele.com/triggers....rR28tIjN4x1tB.WK4LYn

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CEShooter:
Eaganite - I'm assuming that I know what town your in, but if you are interested, I can meet up with you after the first of the year and I have a lowers with a LaRue trigger, a Timney trigger, and a JP Enterprises trigger that you can try out on your upper and see if any of them seems like something that you have to have.

I'm pretty sure you you do, you must live in the area. Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it. But like mark123, after reading Para's post, bought the ACT trigger.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but just putting it through its paces (dry fire) I must say a huge improvement over what came with the rifle.

Posts: 82 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the ALG ACT in my Sig M400, and love it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Larue MBT-2S best value for your money hands down.

Posts: 2190 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I have currently a Timney, MBT and Geissele in use.
In order of which I like best it’s: Geissele, MBT, Timney.
The only one I paid full price for was the Timney.
ALWAYS wait for a holiday sale!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3855 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

I use Centurion Arms AST triggers in mine.
Made by Schmid, several others sell it as well for the same price.
https://centurionarms.com/trig...ast-2-stage-trigger/

Thanks for the link, the price point is good. I don't want to put an expensive high end trigger on a budget gun I paid $600 for.
Hoping someone here has had an experience with the PSA trigger I mentioned.

Thanks for the all your responses, it is appreciated.

I have that exact trigger in a build I did, very happy with it, nice crisp break. Dropped right in, great price and quality for a one piece trigger.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My ALG ACT came in today.

So much nicer than stock milspec that comes in the LPKs.

Zero creep, very smooth break. However, the reset is really gritty and I can’t figure where it’s happening. I’m sure it’ll wear in over time but if anyone knows what I’m missing, drop some knowledge.

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's probably going to be something with the disconnector where it contacts the hook on the hammer. Wipe off and lubricate those two surfaces.

Starting at 1:04 in this video. Trigger reset shown at the 1:10 mark.

Also, check to see if the disconnector spring is seated properly.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Thanks for that review, Para. Your endorsement of the ALG options was what I was thinking of.

I have the ALG QMS and PSA EPT. The EPT is better. The QMS is smooth with almost no take-up but is noticeably heavier than the EPT. The EPT is smooth as butter for a milspec trigger.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7136 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That's probably going to be something with the disconnector where it contacts the hook on the hammer. Wipe off and lubricate those two surfaces.

Starting at 1:04 in this video. Trigger reset shown at the 1:10 mark.

Also, check to see if the disconnector spring is seated properly.

Thanks. The two surfaces are smooth and lubed. I’ll check the disconnector spring. The only other place I haven’t checked is the hole in the disconnector that the trigger pin goes through.

Edit - it was the disconnector spring. It was in a little bit sideways so it was rubbing the inside of the trigger. Good call!

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I was checking out some long-winded write ups concerning rifle parts, diminishing returns and bang-for-buck and came across this reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/...content=share_button

The gem in the mire was this tidbit concerning the topic at hand:
quote:
… LaRue is an indirect example of this. The MBT-2S came out for $250 and folks were singing praises about it, saying that the increased cost over a Geissele SSA-E was well worth it for the crispier break, better reset, and better construction. When the price dropped to $87 folks started saying that "it's 90% of the SSA-E for 33% of the cost".

Price plays a major factor in how folks perceive the quality of ARs and AR accessories.

I see the same thing in the music gear forums. Some often quoted “knowns” are dubious but treated as gospel.

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I tried several triggers including one of the Geissele triggers and settled on the Timney drop in as the one I liked best.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2796 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I don't claim to have any knowledge of this but....... Is it possible that with the price reduction came a design change?
Edit: Response to mark123 LaRue post.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I don't claim to have any knowledge of this but....... Is it possible that with the price reduction came a design change?
Edit: Response to mark123 LaRue post.

Apparently, there is some drama between geissele and Larue. The price drop was some sort of affront.