SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice on trigger upgrade for AR-15.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on trigger upgrade for AR-15. Login/Join 
posted
Bought my first AR-15 January this year from PSA. Had operational issues initially, but to PSA's credit they covered all shipping costs to return for warranty.After return has been working perfect.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading the trigger, and think I've narrowed it down to two options. First one being the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S two-stage, the other being PSA's custom Single-stage flat drop-in match grade - 116055 trigger. At $115 for the LaRue and $90 for the PSA price isn't the main consideration.

I have never used a two-stage before and am somewhat apprehensive to buy it, kind of seems like designed creep before release. Open to any advice and thoughts about this, thanks in advance.

Posts: 81 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I didn't care for the trigger shoe on the mbt, too squared off.
I do like two stage triggers though.

I use Centurion Arms AST triggers in mine.
Made by Schmid, several others sell it as well for the same price.
https://centurionarms.com/trig...ast-2-stage-trigger/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Larue in 2 of my ARs and Geissele triggers in my others. The Larue is a great trigger and definitely recommend it. If you are shooting quickly you don't even notice it being 2 stage, you shoot right through it.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While I have been a huge Geissele fan and most all my AR's have them, I have recently moved over to TriggerTech.
Don't get me wrong, Geissele are fantastic and absolutely no regrets but the Triggertech's are equally great and much easier to install as it is a one-piece design.
Just figure out your desired pull rate and whether you prefer one or two stage.
Check 'em out.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Larue triggers are excellent. Probably my favorite. Trigger tech is excellent as well, though probably more expensive. Both are highly recommended.

Geissele triggers are also outstanding, but outside a big sale, they are mucho dinero. Black Friday is the day to buy them.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The Rock River two stage match trigger is another excellent choice. Under $100 too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

I use Centurion Arms AST triggers in mine.
Made by Schmid, several others sell it as well for the same price.
https://centurionarms.com/trig...ast-2-stage-trigger/

Thanks for the link, the price point is good. I don't want to put an expensive high end trigger on a budget gun I paid $600 for.
Hoping someone here has had an experience with the PSA trigger I mentioned.

Thanks for the all your responses, it is appreciated.

Posts: 81 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

Geissele triggers are also outstanding, but outside a big sale, they are mucho dinero. Black Friday is the day to buy them.

If you wait for any holiday sale (4th of July, Presidents Day, etc), they run better deals. I never pay full price with Geissele.

The SSA-E is the gold standard.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think you have to evaluate your plans, just casual range shooting?

I’m more a hunter, have a 3 lb Timney on a prairie dogging AR. I have a RRA NM trigger, I prefer a single stage 3-4 lb trigger.

A few years ago I put Velocity triggers into 2 ARs. Installing was simple, working just fine.

There are many options with AR triggers, just about any is better than the average stock trigger. But I go back to intended use.

https://velocitytriggers.com/p...c-ar-trigger-curved/

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I think you have to evaluate your plans, just casual range shooting?

I’m more a hunter, have a 3 lb Timney on a prairie dogging AR. I have a RRA NM trigger, I prefer a single stage 3-4 lb trigger.

A few years ago I put Velocity triggers into 2 ARs. Installing was simple, working just fine.

There are many options with AR triggers, just about any is better than the average stock trigger. But I go back to intended use.

https://velocitytriggers.com/p...c-ar-trigger-curved/

This is basically a fun gun, range and general plinking. Currently don't have plans for hunting, although wouldn't rule out a coyote or? If I ever go hog hunting this would be what I would use. I put a 1-6 x 24 Vortex Viper PST 2 on it so is set up nicely.

The Velocity triggers look nice, I do like the self contained one piece triggers for ease of installation. Lord knows I can use all the help I can get! Big Grin

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have used a wide assortment of aftermarket triggers, including the Larue MBT and the Geissele SSA (not the SSA-E).

My favorite far and away is the Hiperfire Hipertouch Elite. Virtually no creep, very crisp, extremely short reset. If you take a moment to look at some of the videos on their website, they have actually engineered a different mechanism for the application of spring force to the hammer, where their hammers actually strike the firing pin with more force than a mil spec trigger. Simultaneously, the normal force at the hammer/sear interface is reduced. They accomplished this with what they call a cam-over toggle. I saw one in a cut-away demo lower at a 3-gun match a few years ago, and thought it was a smart design. When I pulled the trigger I was sold.

Most triggers accomplish a lighter and crisper pull by finely polished surfaces and/or lighter springs on the hammer.

Currently I have rifles with triggers from JP, Larue, Geissele, CMC and Hiperfire. If money were no object I would replace all the others with Hiperfire, but I am not dissatisfied with the triggers from other makers.

I have the standard Hiperfire, which is a little difficult to install. I believe that they now offer them in a housing that drops in with just two pins, which would be nice.

Just my .02, they are worth a look.

Between Geissele and Larue, IMHO they are equals in terms of performance, and the Larue is substantially cheaper.

Almost forgot, another trigger that is worth a look is the AR Gold. Closest thing to a 1911 trigger I have ever felt in an AR. If they offered it with a wider trigger shoe, I might have one. I just don't like the feel of the super skinny trigger. Some people swear by them though.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

And supposedly, the G2S is indistinguishable from the SSA-E at $90 when it's on sale.

quote:
Originally posted by Eaganite:
Lord knows I can use all the help I can get! Big Grin

The last two I did, I used a Q-tip for a slave pin on the trigger and sear before I dropped them in the lowers. Used nail clippers to trim it flush first, and it worked great, kept everything together. For the hammer pin, I just shoved it into place and slaved it with a punch. Super easy.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson "H2" TTU in my rifle. Two friends of mine use Wilson "M2" triggers. The Wilson units don't get much mention, which is a shame, IMO. They are pretty cost-effective (~$170), and they're self-contained, but still use the springs to retain normal pins.

quote:
If you are shooting quickly you don't even notice it being 2 stage, you shoot right through it.
I agree with this evaluation. I was unsure how I was going to feel about the two-stage, when it came to quick shooting. I had always had a single stage, and thought it might present a problem. It doesn't.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have the Larue MBT-2S with the straight bow on my two ARs. I really like how they feel.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
13 posts & I expected to see ALG mentioned. Always thought those were held in pretty good regard.

Mine still has the PSA LPK trigger in it. Not unhappy with it, but had considered picking up a ALG for it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I have ALG triggers (ACTs) in each of my ARs. I am no expert, but they do 'feel' much nicer than the usual LPK GI trigger.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

And supposedly, the G2S is indistinguishable from the SSA-E at $90 when it's on sale.

The G2S is functionally identical to the SSA. The SSA-E is a whole other animal, being only visually similar to SSA. SSA-E has a much cleaner and lighter break than the SSA/G2S.

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If this rifle is intended for anything other than scoped, precision shooting, I would avoid the Geissele SSA-E. Too light of a pull. The SSA is as light as I would go for a fighting rifle. Even at that, the SSA may be a bit too light for an over-adrenalized shooter. I do own both these triggers and use the SSA in my mainline ARs. I love the SSA and I cannot see myself ever replacing them. I have an SSA-E in one AR intended primarily for shooting from a bipod.

In terms of "creep" as you describe it, it's not what you think. It's just a bit of takeup and if you have need to pull the trigger quickly, you won't notice it at all. This takeup is not objectionable- unless, that is, you expect all AR triggers to be single-stage. If you've fired many rounds through an AR with a mil-spec trigger, a two-stage trigger just takes getting used to. The SSA is a refined pull, and if you're not aware, these Geissele triggers are in use with US Special Forces.

For single-stage triggers, look no further than ALG's QMS and ACT. The QMS is a refined version of the standard mil-spec AR trigger and the ACT is a refined version of the QMS

Both of these triggers beat mil-spec by a mile. The important thing is to have the hammer/sear engagement surfaces (and in the AR-15, this is a hammer/trigger interface) lubricated with a quality grease (I use SLIP2000's EWG).

Before I switched my primary rifles to the SSA/SSA-E, I used the QMS and ACT triggers and I can tell you that they are worth every penny of the asking price. In terms of mil-spec design AR triggers, both the QMS and the ACT- when properly lubed- have absolutely creepless releases. This is no exaggeration. Creep is undetectable, a really beautiful pull. The difference between these two triggers is that the ACT averages a bit lighter pull than the QMS. An unlubed or inadequately lubed QMS trigger can display a bit of creep if pressure is applied slowly. Other than that, once you try these triggers, you're spoiled for any other manufacturer's mil-spec offerings.

In terms of mil-spec-type triggers, the ACT is a thing of beauty. If you like a single-stage pull, you'll love the ACT. I still have rifles with both QMS and ACT triggers but these are not rifles I consider to be primary for me. For my mainline rifles, the SSA is king.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that review, Para. Your endorsement of the ALG options was what I was thinking of.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Other than a lighter pull weight, the advantage of the SSA/SSA-E over mil-spec triggers is decreased locktime, which translates (in principle) to greater accuracy.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post