SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for medium/high-end .308 rifle that takes PMAGs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for medium/high-end .308 rifle that takes PMAGs Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I've recently received a rather substantial promotion, and decided to splurge a little and treat myself with my initial raise.

I've had a few ammo cans full of .308 PMAGs for years (to head off a potential AWB or similar), but hadn't yet gotten around to buying a rifle that feeds from them. So I'd like to make use of those.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-.308 semiauto rifle
-Takes PMAGs
-16" or 18" barrel preferred
-Lighter (for a .308, though not necessarily lightweight)

Other than that, I don't really have specific requirements or a specific use in mind, but I'm not looking for an ultra long range rifle like a heavy, long-barreled, bipoded setup.

Price range is a few thousand to several thousand. No hard cap. I had envisioned $2k-$3kish, but would be willing to go higher.

What are your suggestions? A SCAR-17s with an aftermarket PMAG lower (which I realize would be $4k+)? If so, which lower? A higher-end .308 AR? If so, which one? Something else?

Posts: 32410 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is a little different thought process, but I would:

1) Buy a Scar 17 and 6 factory mags. (still under $4K that it looks like you're willing to spend)

2) Sell the Pmags and use the proceeds to buy more factory mags, even if it was at a 4:1 ratio.

IMO the scar with factory mags is that good.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I’ll be first, and say that I love my scar. It does everything I wanted it too, and isn’t heavy at all. I was surprised at the accuracy, and am thinking it needs more scope. I have a Razor 1x6, and while the scope is great, I think it’s worth going with a little more power, maybe a 2x12. I thought about going with an aftermarket lower, but decided to spend that money on scar mags instead! I had a Ruger 7.62, and a Sig 716 prior to the 17. No comparison. I like it enough that it makes me want to buy a 20 also!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
I have an LMT MWS 308 and it's very accurate. I really like it.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a SIG 716i Tread? SCAR 17s are expensive, and usually you end up spending even more on upgrades like triggers and forend rail systems. Plus, they don’t help with you wanting to use PMags (yes, there are PMag lowers for the Scar, but that’s even more money).

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Colt 901 for almost ten years now. It is an excellent rifle, and has the unique modularity factor. It does not play well with a conventional silencer, which sucks. I got an extra carrier, and modified it, to fix that problem. If I had your budget, I'd be looking at the already-mentioned LMT.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I loved my SCAR when I had it. Due to shoulder issues, I replaced it with a JP-15 and would seriously consider a JP in .308 (well probably 6.5 Creedmore due to my shoulder) if I could ever convince myself to do that.

BUT, since you don't have the shoulder issues . . . I'd really be in the SCAR 17 camp. As to the aftermarket PMAG adaptor, I just don't know. I did the KDG handguard and stock, PMM grip, Magpul controls, and thought had about the PMAG adaptor but I didn't want to take a solid platform and acceptable magazines and risk it to modify it with an unknown (the adaptor) to take cheaper (and higher capacity with the 25 rd. PMAGs).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
How about the Desert Tech MDRX, just to throw something out there aside from the usual Scar 17?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Scar is my first choice in the 308 battle rifle category.

The very close 2nd is the Galil Ace, preferably the Gen1. It's in the 8lbs range IIRC, and has everything else I'd be looking for. I like that it takes Pmags and everything else about Galils. Dependable, overbuilt, etc. 1 drawback for me as a lefty is left side charge. I'd get over it like my FAL.

After that it's more on the precision side which I'd be looking at AR10s.

LMT can kinda do either with barrel swaps so that's an option, and a dam good one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slippery Pete,

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
Check out Larue. I have the PredatAR 7.62 with 16" barrel.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd say a LaRue model of some kind would be a good choice.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I think POF rifles use Magpul magazines.

https://pof-usa.com/

https://pof-usa.com/product/magpul-pmag-25lr/

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
G.A. Precision, LaRue or Noveske.

I would not rule out Aero or PSA either.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at the Galil Ace in 7.62x51 last night thinking I sure would like one of those.
I had been eyeballing a PTR91 as a .308 for the collection but for a couple hundred more think the Galil Ace is a better option.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I was just looking at the Galil Ace in 7.62x51 last night thinking I sure would like one of those.

The combination of reciprocating charging handle, no bolt hold open, truncated handguard, and lack of aftermarket support makes the Galil Ace a no for me.

It's basically a gussied up .308 AK. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just not what I'm looking for.

Posts: 32410 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I forgot…… wayyyy back in the day I had an HK 91 clone. Can’t remember the brand. It functioned, but the recoil was much more noticeable than my scar. Accuracy was better than minute of man, but nothing like the 17.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a lot of experience with 308 rifles but I recently helped my cousin sight in his Larue build, Larue upper and lower purchased separate so I don’t think it can be considered an OBR or PredatAR, but it was pleasant to shoot, well constructed and quite accurate at the 100 yards we were shooting at.

I’m sure you’ve shot 308 ARs before, but for me was the first time in a long time and I was surprised how comparable it was to a standard AR. Of course you knew it was 308 but wasn’t much different.

I loved the Scar I had before but for the price they command now and price of aftermarket items and magazines, I’d just go with a reputable AR manufacturer.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to take the time to learn about the various AR10 formats, are willing to purchase the major components, and have a competent AR builder -- then a custom build is a great option. If you don't have a local builder, your short list should include Craddock Precision and Compass Lake.

I place a lot value on really accurate rifles, therefore my short list for AR10s include JP and GA Precision. These might be heavier rifles than you're looking at.

Due to accuracy issues, SCAR and LWRC are out for me.

Premium rifles that shoot really well include -- Wilson Combat, LaRue, Black Rain, Knight's Armament. Also consider LMT, Daniel Defense, DPMS, and Rock River.

I must emphasize that the best way to purchase rifle is one that you've already shot. Try to find people in your area that have AR10s and see if you can get some trigger time.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I forgot…… wayyyy back in the day I had an HK 91 clone.

Yeah, I've owned a HK 91 clone before, along with a FAL.

Currently have a M1A, and previously sold a 2nd one.

I've shot a few different flavors of .308 ARs before, generally lower end ones (Primary Arms, DPMS, etc.) but have never owned any. And don't have any personal experience with a SCAR.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I was set on building an Aero, but the POF Revolution is pretty interesting.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post