SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for medium/high-end .308 rifle that takes PMAGs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for medium/high-end .308 rifle that takes PMAGs Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the POF Revolution was on my short list already.

Price seems reasonable at low-to-mid-$2000s retail. And it's right about the lightest .308 rifle I've seen so far, at 6.8 pounds for the DI version.

Interestingly, the price is identical between the newer DI version and the older piston version. The top-heavy elevated upper and handguard on the piston version looks a bit funky to my eyes. And piston ARs always seemed a bit like a solution in search of a problem.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
If you watch YouTube, check out Alabama Arsenal channel. If I recall he has a video comparing the 17 to the Revolution. Great channel!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The 'Rogue' is even lighter, Rogue. *teehee*

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
The 'Rogue' is even lighter, Rogue. *teehee*

True. But I think the Revolution's longer handguard and adjustable gas system is worth the extra ounces.

I'm not strictly looking for the absolute lightest .308 rifle. Lighter is better than heavier, though. I'm not looking for a 10+ pound beast intended for static shooting from a bipod.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on your OP's mention of the SCAR, it seems you're leaning more toward a battle rifle or DMR type weapon, in which case is it safe to say boutique commercial guns like the aforementioned Rogue and such are not to be considered? As in you're leaning more toward practical/tactical, and not merely "high-end"? I'm not meaning to say that something like the Rogue isn't capable of "hard use"; it may very well be. I am trying to help narrow the field, by suggesting something "battle tested" may score more points, based on the OP.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, that's not the case. Current/former military use isn't a requirement.

posted Hide Post
I understand. I put "battle tested" in quotations because I figured actual adoption/service isn't a requirement. What I meant is would you more seriously consider a weapon that was designed with that type of use in mind?

Posts: 2084 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep almost picking up a 6.5 Creedmore bbl for my MDRx, its a good rifle if you like bullpups. I like the SCAR 17 suggestion though I run factory mags and cannot suggest a specific lower.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
LWRC REPR
-PMAG
-Piston with adjustable gas block
-Geiselle SSA trigger
-not lightwt

Posts: 2294 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
LWRC REPR
-not lightwt

Yeah, that style of precision rifle/designated marksmans rifle is not really what I'm after. And it's ~10 pounds out the gate.

posted Hide Post
Maybe create a poll containing rifles in serious contention.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Perhaps later. Right now I'm looking for suggestions and personal experience for things that I maybe haven't found or thought about yet.

So far, I've really only seriously considered the POF Revolution DI and the SCAR 17, so I'd like to see what else other members suggest so I can research those too and expand my list of serious contenders.

I specifically didn't mention those two specific models in the OP, because I wanted this to be an open-ended question to gather suggestions, not just "Which is better: Revolution or SCAR"? Drilling down to one model over another will wait until the next step.

NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
You ask for a .308 that takes PMAGs and get a lot of people telling you to get a SCAR-17 which doesn't. Interesting. I went down the same road and rejected the SCAR because of the proprietary magazines. The Galil Ace and Tavor 7 both use PMAGs. If I was you, I would also think about optics before I bought.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by von Trakehnen:
You ask for a .308 that takes PMAGs and get a lot of people telling you to get a SCAR-17 which doesn't. Interesting.

As I mentioned in the OP, there are several different aftermarket PMAG-compatible replacement lowers being offered for the SCAR 17. So while the factory SCAR 17 doesn't take PMAGs, you can set up a SCAR to take PMAGs at an added cost (~$400 more). This is why I included it as an option in my initial post. Respondents are simply following my lead.

quote:
If I was you, I would also think about optics before I bought.

It will likely have a 1-6x LPVO. That's partly what's driving the desire for a lighter base rifle. I don't want to start with an already 10+ pound rifle, load it up with 20/25 rounds of .308, put a 2+ pound scope and mount on it, and end up trying to lug around a 15 pound rifle.

I'm also considering something like a fixed 3x or 3.5x prismatic, as a weight-saving compromise. Like a TA33/TA11 ACOG.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you’re already in the SCAR camp and it does have some advantages over the AR10, namely weight and a folding stock and the aftermarket has embraced it … a couple years ago I was in the market to build a 6.5 Creedmoor in the same price range as the SCAR, but it bugs the crap out of me to have to throw a bunch more $$$ at it after laying out big bucks to aquire the basic firearm.
I built a JP Enterprise 6.5 Creedmoor on a Sharps matched set receiver and in the end, after the scope & rings, reloading components I was right at $5,000 but it’s what I wanted … get what you really want or that itch won’t be scratched!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
It sounds like you’re already in the SCAR camp

Actually, current front-runner in my mind is the POF Revolution DI with a plan to splurge on a better optic and still come out well below the cost of a SCAR with an aftermarket lower and handguard and a low/mid-range optic. Wink

Revolution Pros:
-Much lower price (nearly half)
-Lighter
-Less felt recoil
-AR manual of arms
-Parts availability
-Comes set up pretty much how I want it anyway, besides optic

SCAR Pros:
-Potentially slightly more reliable over many thousands of rounds
-Looks cool

Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
but it bugs the crap out of me to have to throw a bunch more $$$ at it after laying out big bucks to aquire the basic firearm.

Pretty much where I'm at.

I mean, it'd be something like $3000-$3500 for a totally set up Revolution with nice optic vs. $3500 for just the base SCAR with another $1500+ in optics, add-ons, and modifications.

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to spend a bunch of money on myself. I've always set pretty small/reasonable budgets for my "fun stuff", and always felt a little guilty, even though logically I know I can afford it. With my new raise, I plan to loosen up about "treating myself", using some of it for practical stuff like additional investments and retirement savings, but some of it to splurge (within reason) on things like "cool toys" and overseas travel. I'm still fighting that urge to be frugal, though... I think the Revolution is a good middle ground, being nice/pricey enough to feel like I'm splurging, while still being reasonably priced for what it is, so I'm not feeling guilty for dropping $5k+ to get a SCAR set up exactly how I'd want it.

NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry if misread your opening post. Doing it the way you did, biased the responses in favor of the SCAR-17. The SCAR is, no doubt, a great rifle. I nearly bought a SCAR-17. The two negatives that stopped me were the price and the proprietary magazines. IF FN offered a version from the factory that took AR-10 mags, I bet that it would sell very well.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The main reasons I mentioned the SCAR in the OP are partly because I am considering it, and partly because the trend is that Sigforum threads about .308 semiautos are usually full of people saying "Just get a SCAR". Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense DD5 V3 or V4.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
S&W M&P10 is lightweight and takes PMAGs but I think you're looking for something a little higher end.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post