SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for medium/high-end .308 rifle that takes PMAGs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for medium/high-end .308 rifle that takes PMAGs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I went with a POF Rogue.
Light and low recoil.
Follow ups are as fast as a 5.56 AR.
Dead nuts accurate and over 1K through it in 8 months !

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Thoughts on APC308?

I have a SCAR16 & APC223; I definitely prefer the SCAR but there are some nice features on the APC. Looking at a 308 myself, I’m considering these two primarily.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I went with a POF Rogue.
Light and low recoil.
Follow ups are as fast as a 5.56 AR.
Dead nuts accurate and over 1K through it in 8 months !

What is "dead nuts accurate"?

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accurate enough to shoot the nuts off a walnut tree at 1200 yards in variable winds, especially in Laos. I heard that only a couple of rifles in the world could make that shot....

Posts: 1787 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest a JP LRP-07, order it exactly the way you want it. There will be a wait, and it will be expensive, but you will get exactly what you want ind it will be nice. If you where closer I would offer to let you play with one, but since the likelihood of you being in my neck of the woods is slim that would not be of much help.

Posts: 1787 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I would go with either a LaRue PredatOBR or a LaRue OBR or possibly a Les Baer Swat Sniper if you can find one. All 3 are lasers.

I have a SCAR 17, LMT MWS and a POF 308 as well as the Larue's and Les Baer. While all shoot well the LaRue's and the Les Baer are quite a bit more accurate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samnev,

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCAR17s and as others have said, just use factory mags. They are available and not terribly priced. You’ll want a KDG mlok handguard, so factor that into the cost.

LMT MARS-H mlok with 16” LW barrel. These are excellent, at the upper end/slightly more than your budget. I had an older MWS with LW barrel. It was a great shooter. A bit gassy with a can, but BRT now makes reduced port gas tubes for the MWS.

SigSauer USA 716i Tread is a great option and very inexpensive. Two friends have them and they are reliable, accurate, and reasonable in weight. Dual ejector bolt is a plus.

DD5 looks to be a great option too. Excellent barrel. Dual ejector bolt. Absolutely atrocious furniture that needs to be replaced.

I’ve owned a Larue OBR, LMT MWS with 16” LW barrel, and KAC SR25. Also have a bunch of time on friends’ SCAR17s and SCAR20s. My absolute favorite 308 without contest is the KAC SR25 PC. But they command stupid money ($7k and up) right now, because no one has them in stock.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Nothing to add on which rifle but…

My local store had 2 17s in stock and one of them was camo (clerk said it was factory)

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
My local store had 2 17s in stock and one of them was camo (clerk said it was factory)

Yeah, there have been a couple factory camo SCARs offered, namely Multicam and Western Viper.

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those SCARs are not easy on the eyes. The camo on the above-linked Wilson is much more appealing.
I suppose the multicam SCAR is broken up good though. These images are timely, considering the rifle camo thread.

Posts: 2081 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Why would someone pay to have their SCAR look like that? I mean, if I could just "unsee" that I would pay good money for that.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Haha. I'm with you.

But I'm sure someone out there likes them. Just like I'm sure Sig sold more than a few of their hideous Diamond Plate and Rainbow Titanium guns years ago.

As they say: There's an ass for every seat.

Plus, I mean... the SCAR isn't going to win any beauty contests to begin with. Wink

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Looks like SOLGW has a new .308
Just under 8 LBS.
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/sh...free-solid-cerakote/

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
https://www.springfield-armory...308-rifle-ridgeline/
Bolt action

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post