SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger flip-up sights -- anyone using them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger flip-up sights -- anyone using them? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good afternoon, SF.

Earlier today I was looking at the Magpul MBUS sights for a planned build, and in my web surfing I stumbled across some Ruger flip-up sights, part numbers 90414/90415.

At first glance they seem to be Ruger's version of the Magpul product, but with a lower price.

Reviews on Ruger's site are mixed, for sure, and wide-ranging -- everything from "Magpul quality for less" to "POS." Has anyone here tried them?

While checking out Ruger's site, I also found their AR-556 sights (part numbers 18140 and 18141), but so far I'm not seeing them reviewed at all.

Your thoughts?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the Ruger sights but from what I have found, the prices are not too far from one another. Magpul makes some good basic quality items for the money and they have been used for a long time with a good reputation.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 18140 and 18141 sights are UTG 755 and 955s Google for reviews of the UTG.

The Magpul MBUS are great sights for what they are.

My work build has Troys and my current build will have Wilson Combats.

But all my others have MBUS.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
I saw the Magpul BUIS after I bought Kriss. The Kriss are metal.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm curious: what are your opinions on the Kriss?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Looks like Ruger cheaped out on the sights.
They used to come with Samson sights like these but with the Ruger logo on them.
https://www.samson-mfg.com/qui...2-sight-package.html

These don't look bad either.
https://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5...uct_Code=02-00059-01

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Looks like Ruger cheaped out on the sights.
They used to come with Samson sights like these but with the Ruger logo on them.
https://www.samson-mfg.com/qui...2-sight-package.html

These don't look bad either.
https://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5...uct_Code=02-00059-01

I have only seen those on the SR556 (piston driven guns they don’t make any more) all the AR556s I have seen (granted not a ton of them) had the cheaper Taiwanese UTGs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
They used to be available at shop ruger, but that was when those rifles were in production.
One issue with them is that you can't mount a scope with them installed the way the peep flips up.
I use a 1.93" scope mount now and put them back on.

I don't think their rifles with a rail come with sights anymore.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The use of BUIS dropped considerably overseas after issue, the knowledgeable soldier knows to strip as much weight off gear as possible when on long patrols. They largely relied on red dots even knowing they aren't shatterproof and can be damaged beyond use.

It's much the same with bolt actions which preceded that trend in the 1980's. As more were getting scoped, more actions didn't get irons and very few had issues hunting. Of those who did, most were traveling overseas and learned to pack another scope as a backup, not irons. All that predates the use of red dots on the M4 by decades.

The AR pistol I built uses irons, the long rifle just a red dot only. The Rem 700 before it only had a 3x9 - that gun was 1990s era and still works just fine by my oldest son, as do millions just like it.

It's the owners perogative to do as they like, I don't bother. Never had a need, and if the firearm is subjected to that high risk of abuse, then optics are already off the table.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post