SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I stumbled into another rare rifle.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I stumbled into another rare rifle. Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Better to be lucky than good. I bought a .22 SMLE trainer last week. Advertised as a 1915 BSA SMLE converted to .22 in 1929 [Still has volley sights but no mag cutoff. Weirdly, the rear sight not updated for .22, I'm going to put crayon marks on it for 50/100/150 yds.]. Turns about it was converted in 1916 [1 of 1700] AND 1929. A "double conversion", made of unobtainium. And I paid below the going rate Cool , guess I'll buy a lottery ticket!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always meant to get a .22 converted No 1 when they were "cheap", and I never did.

Nice looking rifle.

Any import markings?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice looking rifle.

Any import markings?

Thanks.

Not import marked.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Interesting. What's the toggle-lever looking thing on the left side? My son's .303 doesn't have that. Also, how does it feed? Is it single-shot or does it use a magazine?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you are looking at the components of the volley. Mostly removed after WWI.

Most .22 No 1 Enfields were single loaders unless fitted with the Parker-Hiscock magazine.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
What's the toggle-lever looking thing on the left side?

That's the front volley sight. The rear volley sight is that tall peep on the left rear of the receiver, next to the safety.

Initially included on early Lee Enfield production, they were envisioned to be used by massed ranks of soldiers firing simultaneous volleys of bullets at extreme ranges towards massed ranks of oncoming enemy troops slowly marching towards your line. Think 1700s/1800s-style massed rank warfare, just at much longer ranges thanks to inventions like smokeless powder and spitzer bullets.

How extreme of ranges are we talking, you ask? Well, the volley sights are graduated from 1600-2800 yards, and there's 1760 yards in a mile... So we're talking ~1 to ~1.5+ miles away. The rifle had to be held at a very steep angle upwards for the bullets to be able to make it that far, hence the dramatic offset between the front and rear volley sights. At the 2500+ yard settings, the front volley sight would actually be below the bottom of the forestock.

But with WW1's advent of more modern warfare, that style of massed volley fire was recognized as obsolete, anachronistic, and totally unrealistic. So the volley sights were deleted from rifle production, and nearly all earlier SMLEs that initially had them installed ended up having them removed during subsequent overhauls.

As a result, they're uncommon to find intact these days.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, very interesting. I've read a bit about volley fire, and know the basic concept, but have never seen a sighting system quite like that before. The ones i've seen have mostly just allowed the regular rear sight to elevate to extreme levels. I've always thought it would be kinda cool to get a bunch of people together with period rifles on a long distance range and actually try it out to see how effective it would be against a tight formation of targets at 1000-2000 meters.

Interesting that they offset it to the left side of the rifle...how did they sight with that thing...use their left eye? I've found the SMLE to be about the most un-ergonomic design ever for establishing a proper cheek-weld and sight-picture (for me it ends up being more of a chin-weld just to get the sights into my field of view). This offset left-side stuff takes that to a whole new level, though...it's almost like they were trying to make the thing harder to use.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The offset to the left was necessary, due to the extreme upward angle that the rifle had to be held in order to "lob" the bullet over a mile and a half away. Mounting them on top alongside the standard sights wouldn't have been feasible.

Volley sights were used with the right eye, with the rifle on the shoulder. But a cheek weld wasn't doable with the rifle held at such an extreme upward angle.

Keep in mind that these weren't meant for precision shooting. With the volley sights, you were intended to be aiming at a whole tightly-packed mass of enemy infantry. So precise sight pictures weren't necessary.

It still has a standard SMLE front and rear sight for normal aimed fire, but even that rear sight was grossly over-optimistically graduated out to 2000 yards.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
With the volley sights, you were intended to be aiming at a whole tightly-packed mass of enemy infantry.

Or cavalry.

This is one of those things that many people who are otherwise familiar with firearms from the era don’t seem to understand. For example, the tangent sights of some Browning Hi-Power pistols had settings to 500 meters and some C96 Mauser pistol sights had settings to 1000 meters or farther(!). I have read reviews of such guns ridiculing the idea that a pistol could possibly hit a target at such ranges, but the idea of course was not that the shooter would use such a sighted pistol to pick off an individual soldier a kilometer away. Although we can question whether anyone armed with such a weapon would actually waste ammunition firing at even a massed formation of the enemy or what effect handgun bullets would have at such ranges, based on the sights’ prevalence on early 20th century pistols, the concept was a popular one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of the Enfield trainers. Still have one. Great shooting rifles. I don’t recall if UK armorers ever re-graduated the rear eights for .22. I tried all different kinds of ammo to see what was the most accurate. Expensive match to cheap crap .22. Mine likes Remington Thunderbolt the best.

Enjoy. You scored a good one.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
did you post this one over in Lance's thread on GB?

lovely rifle,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

lovely rifle,

Guilty as charged. Thank you.

-Bomber Harris

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

lovely rifle,

Guilty as charged. Thank you.

thought that was you,

I'm looking forward to Lance's 22 Enfield book,
his book on the SMLE is well done

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
See the volley sights in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOw9Q6bovs

Reported here first:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2690036984

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
See the volley sights in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOw9Q6bovs

Reported here first:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2690036984

Just got done watching that...very cool video!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Also, I just realized your sling is the wrong way around.

The long section goes on the bottom/outside, with the shorter section on the top/inside and the prongs pointing outward.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, I just realized your sling is the wrong way around.

The long section goes on the bottom/outside, with the shorter section on the top/inside and the prongs pointing outward.

Thanks RogueJSK! My SMLE GL rifle was wrong too. I got them both that way, easy fix.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Took it to the range yesterday. Shot 100yds with sight set to 550 yrs per Gun Jesus. Not very accurate. Gonna try 50 yds (450 on sight) & try again.

-Bomber Harris

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I bought my older brother one of these that was unissued.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Mars, that rifle is beautiful! Are the sights set up for 22lr or 303? Mine is still set for 303, I'm having issues setting them to 22lr. Not sure info from Ian @ Forgotten Weapons is correct.

-Bomber Harris