SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .303 at 3,000 yards, open sights.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.303 at 3,000 yards, open sights. Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted
Pretty impressive to me with a modern rifle and scope let alone a WW1 rifle.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is amazing. 30" barrel. I do not know how he was able to see the target at that distance.

Wonder what a .300wsm with a 30" barrel could do?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19730 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Cool video, and a neat demonstration of Volley Sights...a nice followup to the discussion we were having in KZ1000's thread the other day. I can see how that could actually be pretty effective if you had a known distance and a large group of shooters aiming at a massed formation of troops (assuming all of your shooters were competent).

That shooting was darn impressive, and not just because he was doing it with an antique. You could hear the wind blowing like crazy in the video...I'd wager that had it been a calm day, he'd have hit it. Not sure if the target and shooting videos were synced up properly, but if they were, that was about a 10 second time delay between shot and impact Eek!

Posts: 9223 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's 27"..

Posts: 1538 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:

It's 27"..
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5plt5TQaoyM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Wind drift per 1 mph is 65", 5 fps velocity difference 21" change in elevation, 8" change in elevation per 1 mph crosswind. Extremely lucky!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
5,023 yards, almost got lucky, missed by 5cm

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:

It's 27"..
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5plt5TQaoyM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The riflescope on that .300WSM is a March Genesis 4-40X52 HM. It has 300 MOA of UP elevation. It is externally adjusted meaning you're always looking through the exact center of the optical path for the best image. It's an expensive scope but for ELR, it's very well suited.

In the following video, they are using an ordinary NF in front of which they installed a Charlie TARAC, essentially a periscope that adds a lot of elevation to a regular scope.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
My SMLE has volley sights. I have always wanted to try them. Might have to give it a shot one day.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post