SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone running off set red dot on your AR/MSR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone running off set red dot on your AR/MSR? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
May as well buy a quality fixed power scope and an offset red dot for quite a bit less money ....

A friend and I were talking about that just recently. What is a good fixed power scope these days?

Leupold has the FX series I think it's called. Moderate price.
There's also the Vortex prisms which are cheaper. I have a fixed 3x that's clear but the eye relief and eye box are a bit harsh. Pretty sure Vortex came out with a fixed 5x this year or last.
ACOG of course and there is a model for piggyback RMR. I almost went that route but the LPVO I purchased was cheaper.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I have a fixed 3x ....

Fixed 3x Vortex prism?
If so, is the semicircle reticle visible without the battery power? (I looked but could not find it on the Vortex site.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The reticle is etched to the glass so it's just like a regular scope when it's not on.

Depending in the application the tried and true SWFA 10x42 is still about $300.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
I was under the impression that all prismatic type sights had etched reticles, but didn't want to assume.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I have a fixed 3x ....

Fixed 3x Vortex prism?
If so, is the semicircle reticle visible without the battery power? (I looked but could not find it on the Vortex site.)

It's very usable and illumination helps quite a bit.
The reticle in it is on the smaller side but I was hitting at 325 yards with it.
Just not an ideal eye box and relief is not great.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not but
Jerry Miculek has some very nice
You tube vids of what and how he uses his.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
is it that slow and difficult to just change the magnification setting when transitioning from one distance to another?

It's slower than not doing it.

That's not a smart ass answer, it's just the facts when trying to shave off every possible second.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
So far I’m liking red dot offset, I bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6 sitting in a Badger Ordance mount with Holosun offset.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
So far I’m liking red dot offset, I bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6 sitting in a Badger Ordance mount with Holosun offset.

That's very nice.
Quick question. What did you zero your red dot at?
I did a 50 yard zero for the scope but I'm almost thinking 25 yards for the RMR.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
100 yard for the scope

50 yard for the red dot

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this thread.

I’ve been contemplating the same thing for my hunting AR. Sometimes, those coyotes and hogs appear closer than expected and are moving FAST!

I’m back and forth between an extra RMR I have and an extra HS403 (T1 pattern) red dot.

Larue makes a offset mount that attaches to the main scope body but I think the offset needs to mount to the rifle rail for stability/security.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a regional 2-rifle match which I've entered a handful or more times. For each stage's 5-minute limit, shooters must engage 5 long distance targets with a bolt action, and 10 close-to-mid distance targets with a carbine. We start most stages with one gun & pack slung, and one gun in hand. The carbine targets vary in distance from 5 to 400 yards. I've shot the match with good results, generally using an 18" barrel AR15 with a NF NXS F1 3.5-15x scope. The scope is great for the 100-400 yard targets, but definitely is not the best for the 5-50 yard targets. Top competitors use a variety of single or double optic setups. The guy who has won the match the most often uses a single 2-10x Vortex.

A couple of years ago in this match, I won a Warne package -- one-piece scope mount, 45 degree offset mount, and a couple of torque wrenches. The 45 degree offset mount has collected dust, but the other items have been great in use.

A few weeks ago I bought a 3.5 MOA dot Trijicon RMR with a low picatinny mount. I went for a proof of concept, trying it on a JP .22lr upper -- which currently has a NF SHV F1 4-14x scope. I planned to install the RMR just forward of the ocular lens, but that didn't work. The scope has a NF one-piece mount which limits rail location options for the offset mount. The one place on the rail where the offset mount would go resulted in inadequate clearance between the ocular piece and the RMR. I did install the offset mount and RMR in a forward rail section, which I had been using to hold my TBR brass catcher.

The SHV scope is zeroed at 50 yards. I zeroed the RMR at 25 yards.

I have recently set up a couple of steel target courses in erosion ravines at our family ranch. So far I've shot 200 rounds at targets of various distances in two different ravines, alternating between the RMR and the scope -- set at 4x. The targets afterwards:

With so few rounds down range, I'm still learning the ropes with the RMR.
- I'm slower than I'd like transitioning between close targets with the RMR and longer targets with the scope.
- I do like the RMR for close targets. It's much easier to move laterally from one target to another.

- I transition from the RMR to the scope eyebox pretty well. I don't yet transition the best from the scope eyebox to the sweet spot of the RMR. I tend to look through the very top of the RMR. I think I'll buy Trijicon's higher mount for the RMR, which supposedly raises the RMR by around 3/4". I hope this keeps the cheek weld position more closely matched during sight systems transitions.

- I am surprised how well I can hit 25-50 yard targets with the RMR from an off-hand position. My vision sucks, but I have no issues with the RMR's dot. I'm glad I bought the 3.5 MOA dot.
- I have not yet timed myself on match-inspired stages. I need to compare scope-only to scope-plus-RMR times.

I need more time with this 22 upper, especially with the same paper targets used in the 2-rifle match. But at this time, I am definitely open to using a 45-degree offset on my match .223 AR15 carbine.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice set-up.
I've had my AR out a few times and like you, transition between the scope and the RMR is a bit slower but still decent. Also agree on the offhand shooting with the RMR, surprisingly quicker than before.
I have my RMR zeroed at 36 yards ala Shawn Ryan and the scope at 50. It works for me and I have both zeroes wrote down for reference. Not that far apart really.
I also have the RMR mounted just in front of the scope just off of the receiver part of the rail. Just wouldn't fit right in front of the scope with the scope mount I have. So far, no issues.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
In looking for a good optic setup for a Ruger SFAR I realized something. I was looking at the ACRO P2, but mounting it next to a scope interferes with controls and battery compartments on the left side.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have my RMR zeroed at 36 yards ala Shawn Ryan and the scope at 50. It works for me and I have both zeroes wrote down for reference. Not that far apart really.

Zero distances depend on the shooter's use and preference.

I don't like dealing with hold unders for distances closer than the rifle system's zero. Which means I set optics for only one zero -- where the bullet's ballistic arc matches optic's POA only once during flight.

For my centerfire rifle cartridges this is 100 yards. Bolt action or semi auto. 223, 6CM, 6.5CM, 300blk, 308 Win. For 300blk that's with supersonic 110-125 grain ammo. 150-ish grain ammo has a POI a touch low at 100 yards. Subsonic 300blk is noticeably lower, but that's not what I shoot very often, and definitely not at 100 yards.

50 yards works well for 22lr. I have my 9mm AR upper zeroed at either 35 or 40 yards -- don't recall the exact point right now, but I think it's essentially the same POI for either distance.

The only time I want to deal with hold unders is on fast paced PRS-type stages -- multiple targets, and multiple positions for each of those targets. For example, targets at 400, 500, and 600 yards -- 1 shot each from 3 positions -- too little time to dial elevations for each shot. Required elevation might be 6 MOA, 8.5 MOA, and 11.5 MOA for the respective target distances. In this scenario I would likely dial 8.5 MOA for the 500 yard target, then hold under 1.5 MOA for the close target and 3 MOA over for the far target.

Again, zeros and reticle use depends on the user.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those who’ve posted real life experiences.

I’ve got an Arisaka mount on the way for my RMR and will give it a shot in the weeks to come.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Thanks for those who’ve posted real life experiences.

I’ve got an Arisaka mount on the way for my RMR and will give it a shot in the weeks to come.

That's what I'm running. You won't be disappointed.
I'll try to get a picture posted today after work of the mount.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
There's a regional 2-rifle match which I've entered a handful or more times. For each stage's 5-minute limit, shooters must engage 5 long distance targets with a bolt action, and 10 close-to-mid distance targets with a carbine. We start most stages with one gun & pack slung, and one gun in hand. The carbine targets vary in distance from 5 to 400 yards. I've shot the match with good results, generally using an 18" barrel AR15 with a NF NXS F1 3.5-15x scope. The scope is great for the 100-400 yard targets, but definitely is not the best for the 5-50 yard targets. Top competitors use a variety of single or double optic setups. The guy who has won the match the most often uses a single 2-10x Vortex.

A couple of years ago in this match, I won a Warne package -- one-piece scope mount, 45 degree offset mount, and a couple of torque wrenches. The 45 degree offset mount has collected dust, but the other items have been great in use.

A few weeks ago I bought a 3.5 MOA dot Trijicon RMR with a low picatinny mount. I went for a proof of concept, trying it on a JP .22lr upper -- which currently has a NF SHV F1 4-14x scope. I planned to install the RMR just forward of the ocular lens, but that didn't work. The scope has a NF one-piece mount which limits rail location options for the offset mount. The one place on the rail where the offset mount would go resulted in inadequate clearance between the ocular piece and the RMR. I did install the offset mount and RMR in a forward rail section, which I had been using to hold my TBR brass catcher.

The SHV scope is zeroed at 50 yards. I zeroed the RMR at 25 yards.

I have recently set up a couple of steel target courses in erosion ravines at our family ranch. So far I've shot 200 rounds at targets of various distances in two different ravines, alternating between the RMR and the scope -- set at 4x. The targets afterwards:

With so few rounds down range, I'm still learning the ropes with the RMR.
- I'm slower than I'd like transitioning between close targets with the RMR and longer targets with the scope.
- I do like the RMR for close targets. It's much easier to move laterally from one target to another.

- I transition from the RMR to the scope eyebox pretty well. I don't yet transition the best from the scope eyebox to the sweet spot of the RMR. I tend to look through the very top of the RMR. I think I'll buy Trijicon's higher mount for the RMR, which supposedly raises the RMR by around 3/4". I hope this keeps the cheek weld position more closely matched during sight systems transitions.

- I am surprised how well I can hit 25-50 yard targets with the RMR from an off-hand position. My vision sucks, but I have no issues with the RMR's dot. I'm glad I bought the 3.5 MOA dot.
- I have not yet timed myself on match-inspired stages. I need to compare scope-only to scope-plus-RMR times.

I need more time with this 22 upper, especially with the same paper targets used in the 2-rifle match. But at this time, I am definitely open to using a 45-degree offset on my match .223 AR15 carbine.

Beautiful piece of property. I am jealous Sir.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post