SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Garand or M1 carbine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand or M1 carbine Login/Join 
posted
If you were going to get one, (or get one first) which would it be ??
I want both, but that won’t happen any time soon.
It will be a shooter, don’t care much for collecting a safe queen if that changes anything

Question:
Carbine or Garand ?

Choices:
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Carbine. Expext to pay handsomely unless you happen to fall into one. Garands can still be had fairly cheaply from CMP.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
At this stage of the game, whichever you can afford to get a decent example of. Then, when you can get the other, get a good example of that one. Don’t get too fixated on finding whichever people convince you to go after that you pass up on a good deal on the other.

Most important at this point is doing your research first. Read everything you can. Get the Scott Duff books and really dig in so that you know whether to jump on a deal or walk. Yes, there’s a lot of info on the internet, but it’s also the internet, and you’re here asking for opinions. That’s mine.

FWIW, I didn’t and won’t vote.

Posts: 17172 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Carbine.

IMO, easier to find ammo. Surplus .30-06 isn't everywhere, and I don't want to muck around with the gas system of an M1 to shoot expensive commercial ammo. Any .30 carbine load is good to go and available all over the internet.

I shoot my CMP carbine very often. I haven't shot my CMP Garand in years--and I have a fair supply of surplus Greek ball ammo.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I had a Carbine decades before I had a Garand because my dad and I found one at an estate auction advertised as a "M1 Carbeam" and thus sold for $260 in the mid-1990s, but my first Garand came to me in 2015 via the CMP. $650-$750 will get you a nice shootable Field or Service Grade, shipped to your door via FedEx in a plastic case complete with an enbloc clip, instruction manual and certificate with your name on it.

Carbines will run about $900-$1,000 for a basic mixmaster shooter, maybe a little less with an import stamp on the barrel.

CMP takes a minimal amount of work for the paperwork and qualifications, but in the end its worth it.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the garand first. While the CMP has them for now the supply is getting smaller everyday. And the countries we can get them back from for resale are not many any more.
Anyone who desires to shoot a full power battle rifle with any sort of regularity better either be rich or be set up to reload.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever you get the Garand, there are multiple ammo companies making Garand-specific loads so there's no worry about being able to shoot it and not damage it. In fact in this thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4910091954 RogueJSK posted a list of them with pictures. Of course, per captain's recommendation, if you reload then you'll be able to shoot safely and more cheaply.

If you want to be able to shoot any .30-06 ammo. with a Garand, there are a few devices out there that allow you to do so without damaging the op. rod. Some you have to manually adjust to the load, others are install and leave be.

As for which to get first, the Garand or the carbine, that's a tough call. Both are a lot of fun to shoot. As has been pointed out, getting a Garand from the CMP is a great way to go in getting a good Garand for a good price - at least until stocks dry up. The carbine is expensive now and no telling how much it will go up in the next few years.

If it were me, I would get an Inland (or other WWII manufacturer) carbine from Buds Gun Shop now, and the Garand as soon as possible later. The reason I point to Buds is because, with only a quick perusal, they seem to have better prices than elsewhere. They are in the $1,000-$1,200 range while other places start at $1,200 and go up from there.

One last thing about the carbine that might help in your decision is the scout rail from Ultimak.

http://ultimak.com/m6.htm

Ultimak makes rails for both the Garand and carbine, but if you were to use either for home defense the carbine, in my opinion, would be a lot handier. The carbine with iron sights is perfectly fine, but an Eotech or other optic that works for you can be a real help in certain situations.

Posts: 4984 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a tough call. They're both two of my favorite rifles, not only amongst my milsurp collection, but my overall rifle collection.

For coolness and quality of manufacturing/design, the Garand wins out.

For sheer joy of shooting, the Carbine wins by a nose.

For historical significance, it's a tie.

Basically, you should get both. However, considering Carbines are getting tough to find at reasonable prices, I'd start looking for one of those first. The CMP has a decent stock of Garands and should continue to have them available for many years to come.

So I recommend getting a Carbine first, and then once that's done, send off for a Service Grade Garand from the CMP.

quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Whenever you get the Garand, there are multiple ammo companies making Garand-specific loads so there's no worry about being able to shoot it and not damage it. In fact in this thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4910091954 RogueJSK posted a list of them with pictures.

Note that this is not a comprehensive list, just some examples. There are other companies offering Garand-safe ammo too.

quote:
If it were me, I would get an Inland (or other WWII manufacturer) carbine from Buds Gun Shop now, and the Garand as soon as possible later. The reason I point to Buds is because, with only a quick perusal, they seem to have better prices than elsewhere. They are in the $1,000-$1,200 range while other places start at $1,200 and go up from there.

Those are NOT WW2-era Inland M1 Carbines at Bud's. A company bough the rights to the Inland name a few years ago and starting making modern M1 Carbine replicas under the formerly defunct Inland brand. Other than the name, they have no ties to the original WW2-era Inland company or their carbines. (Similar to how the modern Springfield Armory Inc. has no ties to the old Springfield Armory that made M1903s, Garands, etc.. They simply purchased the rights to the Springfield Armory name.)

I wouldn't bother with a modern commercial carbine. Find a surplus M1 Carbine instead. Generally better quality, and greater historical significance. Gunbroker is an option, although those carbines tend to get bid up quite a bit. A better option is to watch the Classifieds sections at the CMP Forum or the Gunboards milsurp forum, where good condition M1 Carbines come up for sale fairly regularly. (You just have to act fast, as they generally go quickly.)

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
The carbine is better for plinking, but doesn't go "PING".
Get the Garand.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue - you appear to be correct about the carbines from Bud's. I noticed that some of them had what looked to be year-of-manufacture in the description (1944, 1945) whereas others did not. This led me to believe that Bud's had some surplus in addition to new production, but after reading the reviews it sounds like they are all new production. Might still be worth a call to Bud's to verify, but my apologies to the OP for any incorrect information.

Posts: 4984 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rogue - you appear to be correct about the carbines from Bud's. I noticed that some of them had what looked to be year-of-manufacture in the description (1944, 1945)

Yeah, but those are model designations for their new production M1 Carbines by "Inland". Not dates of manufacture.

Model 1944:
https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inl...arbines/M1-1944.html

Model 1945:
https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inl...arbines/M1-1945.html

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it. Glad you caught that before the OP went and bought one!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Garand every time. I have 2 carbines and several Garands. The carbine is cool but the Garand is the coolest rifle ever made IMO. Amazing, functional mechanical puzzles.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Very tough call. I voted Garand first though. More chance of getting a good shooter in good shape, decent price. Carbine is fun though, so easy to shoot, light, and they are making better ammo for it lately too. Get one, will have to get the other eventually! Big Grin

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. I like the Garand more. I am left handed and I have owned or shot several M1 or M2 Carbines. They all hit me in the forehead or parted my hair with empty brass. But I think you should get both. I would buy whichever I found first at the best price and condition. I only have one M1 Carbine now and will not buy another. I have 2 M1 Rifles and am thinking I need another.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Go for the Garand first as prices are reasonable, you can pick up a carbine when finances can afford one on the secondary market.

You won't be dissapointed, besides you will enjoy your carbine that much more after you have experience with the Garand.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got it. Glad you caught that before the OP went and bought one!

Oh I was already aware of that, I want a real deal rifle and not a modern clone with proprietary parts

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recommend getting a Carbine first, and then once that's done, send off for a Service Grade Garand from the CMP.

This, for all the reasons Rogue said.

Luckily I saw the writing on the wall 10 years ago (and had the funds), so I snagged both a Garand and a Carbine when I went to the CMP South Store. (One of the few instances of forethought on my part LOL Big Grin)

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped at the CMP North Store yesterday while browsing vendors row at the Nationals. They currently have a good assortment of Garands in rack grade, field grade, service grade, and some collector grade rifles. They also have some CMP "Specials", which is all they had when I purchased my Winchester model in Oct. 2016. It's worth the trip if you are planning to buy.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Garand!!!!

Even though I have an M1 Carbine too, I always wanted a Garand, so when I started buying milsurp rifles years ago, the M1 Garand was my first choice.

Both were bought through the CMP. This is when the CMP still had the M1 Carbines. The Carbine is fun to shoot.....but doesn't draw near the oohs and ahhs the M1 Garand does when you bring it to the range.

While milsurp Garand ammo is dwindling, several companies are making M1 Garand safe ammo.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3438 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post