SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 500-590 question regarding smooth action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 500-590 question regarding smooth action Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
My used 500 action is pretty smooth. Not quite buttery smooth. But close.
My 590 Security I bought new. I have less than 100 rds through it so far. Action is stiff I would say. Besides lubing the slide bars and shooting is their other ways to smooth out the action? I see others cycle theirs and it seems so smooth. Maybe it just takes a certain number of rounds to get that "buttery smooth" cycling action?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Much like any other firearm, repeated cycling of the moving parts will gradually smooth out the action/trigger/etc, as the bearing surfaces wear and mate.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
When I took my armorer's class, the instructor showed us a couple of spots on the trigger group that really smooth the action up on a 500 if you oil them (in addition to the normal stuff like the action bars, elevator, and bolt slide). I can't recall specifically what they were, as I don't own a Mossberg, and all our department guns are 870s, so I was there for those, but I tried to learn as much about the Mossbergs as I could while I was there. I remember trying it on one of his guns and it did improve the feel of the action significantly.

You might try popping the trigger group out (be careful to make sure it stays together in one piece...it's a bitch to put back together if it comes apart) and lightly lubing the contact surfaces, especially the parts that interface with the action bars and elevetor...IIRC it was pretty intuitive what needed to be lubed once you were looking at it.

I probably have notes on it somewhere, but I'm not sure where I put them. They may be in my desk at work...if I can find them tonight I'll come back and update here. It's been a couple of years, and that was the last time I was inside a Mossberg pump.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughters were given the 590S for Christmas. I chose them because they will cycle mini-shells.

The actions are so stiff that I don’t even know if my girls will be able to cycle them.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Shockwave is stiff too and the forearm is putting wear marks on the magazine tube already. I plant to tear mine down and do some Flitzing on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My new Shockwave is stiff too and the forearm is putting wear marks on the magazine tube already. I plant to tear mine down and do some Flitzing on it.

What does that involve? I’ve gotta do something on my girls.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Sliding marks on the mag tube from the foreend are normal.

If you want a smooth action on a 500 or 590, cycle the action during commercials. Make sure nobody else in the house is asleep. Keep doing it until it smooths out.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to Flitz the inside edge of the forearm. May not be all that effective in slicking up the action, but it cant hurt.

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Sliding marks on the mag tube from the foreend are normal.

If you want a smooth action on a 500 or 590, cycle the action during commercials. Make sure nobody else in the house is asleep. Keep doing it until it smooths out.

All three of my kids just came running out of their rooms wondering what I was doing. It is loud. I can see some shiny spots developing that I assume should be lubricated.

There’s also three lines on the bottom of the barrel that appear to be from parts of the forearm assembly.

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Haha!

I’d lube the crap out of everything when doing it, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PD just got in six new 590’s for use as less lethal guns. One action was so brutally reluctant to cycle that I disassembled the whole gun and put it in a sonic cleaner to get rid of whatever Mossberg uses as a rust preventative. Put it all back together with a liberal application of EWL and it is somewhat improved.

Another one had a safety lever that would not move. After removing the bolt I had to lever the safety forward from inside the receiver to get it to move. I have been a Mossberg proponent in the past, but these examples are disheartening.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took the Shockwave completely down and all the internal components are very poorly finished. Doesnt reflect my previous Mossberg experience.

posted Hide Post
I must have got lucky because my 590 Tactical is decent. Not butter smooth but I had no problems running it.
Cycled fine with minimal effort.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Having spent a lot of time smoothing up 500s years ago and doing trigger work, there’s a lot you can do to make it smoother, but it will never be “slick” smooth, more sloppy smooth? lol. Even then, unless you’re comparing it to a stock one side by side, it won’t be earth shattering. It won’t match other slicked up makes/designs.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Mossbergs are the "thunkiest" actions of the three classic pumps (Rem 870, Win 12-1300, Mossy 500-590) and also have the sloppiest/loose fore ends. The action of the Mossberg will break in and get much better over time, but it'll never be as silky smooth as the other two after break in. Doesn't mean any worse. Just different. The Mossbergs have different positives/strengths.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, as I have said the cocking action on my Mossberg is pretty darn good. My new 590 Security model needs some smoothing out. I have spent time cycling in and oiling the slide bars. Helped a little to this point. I am guessing after a few hundred rds it will smooth out a bit more to my liking. Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Thanks 92F for the armorers info. If you find anything else specific to your notes please post it up.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I just used the mrgunsngear video to tear down, clean, lube, and reassemble my 590A1. One thing became obvious right off the bat: every steel part not part of the trigger group is parkerized and that finish is a little rough. The mag tube is smoothing out where the forearm assembly slides, so cycling the action at least does that. The bolt didn't show any wear spots, neither did the inside of the receiver. None of the parts had any obvious burs, so I just put a light coat of oil on the moving parts and called it a day.

Posts: 10792 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mossberg 500 is pretty old. How old? It was made and marked for Western Auto, and carries the “Revolution” trade name.
It is so smooth that if it is cocked, and you hold it upright and press the slide release, it will drop fully open.

If you've never had a free lunch, you are'nt trying hard enough

Posts: 213 | Location: The North Coast of America, Southern Coast of Lake Erie | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of compdocjoe
posted Hide Post
Try some Lucas Gun Oil, or gun grease, it really made my 500's action smoother, especially greasing the action bars.

Posts: 16 | Location: Down South | Registered: September 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I used Mossies for years both on the job and off. They smooth out over time but will never be as smooth as an 870, Ithaca M37, or Winchester 1200. It just isn't going to happen.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post