SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AKs From Palmetto State Armory - Tell Me About Yours
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AKs From Palmetto State Armory - Tell Me About Yours Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
As the title sez -

Palmetto State Armory has been producing AKs for a bit now, but I've never tried one. I keep thinking I ought to get one just to support an effort I find admirable but I'm also chicken of PSA's learning curve.

For those of you who own and have shot them, what have your experiences been?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have a MOEkov. Casual range use, several hundred rounds out. So far so good.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have their GF3 model and have had no problems with it. I got a muzzle brake and sight mount from the AKOU4774 store and put on a Primary Arms prism sight with the ACSS reticule. Rob from AKOU4774 has tested several of their models on his YouTube channel with good results. I picked up a cleaning rod, surplus cleaning kit and spare bolt parts for it. Palmetto's rifle case fits well and has plenty of pockets for magazines and accessories.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have one of the AK-P side folders and love it. It’s my first and only AK but it’s a blast to shoot and has been perfect.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. About how many rounds have you put through your rifles?

FWIW, I've seen the Rob Ski videos and trust him to tell it like he sees it. There aren't that many data points out there, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I haven’t kept track but based on my 7.62 inventory at last count I’d guess in the 1500 round range. I also have an SKS so I’m not exactly sure how much has gone through each but I think that’s probably close. All of it has been Russian steel case stuff.

I’ve only used MagPul AK mags so far and have had no issues but I just ordered half a dozen US Palm mags too so I’ll be trying those out too. Honestly I bought the AK as a range toy but I’m loving it so much that I bought the new mags and some higher quality brass ammo.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pale Horse. I should warn you, though, one rifle tends to become a small battery and one small battery tends to become a collection.

I hope the brass ammo does you well, but Euro AKs are kinda like .22s in that they shoot well what they shoot well so you kinda want to try everything to see what your rifle likes. FWIW, I've been surprised at what kind of good luck I've had with PPU/Prvi Partizan in other AKs.

posted Hide Post
I have been curious myself regarding AK's from PSA.

I have been a fan of AK's since I was young, and you would have thought I would have owned a couple within the last 25 years. BUT I was like, oh they will always be around.

I have have found a couple of from PSA that I like but I was waiting to hear from others.

There are just so many choices to choose from and I am not sure which caliber I want.

I was bouncing back and forth between PSA and the company out of Hickory NC that is producing them.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Their CHF Barreled 104 pistol is what I've been waiting for. I'm hesitant based on some reports of their 100 series folders having play in them. I'm not ok with that. It shouldn't be a hard thing to fix on their end so maybe it's been done already. I haven't seen any confirmation of that so I'm watching from a distance.

I can't get my hands on one cause I live in hell or I would have tried to check this first hand already. No one else has offered a 104 pistol, and I applaud them for doing so. Also the 105.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have 3000+ rds thru this Gen3 7.62 pistol set up with zero issues. Great size, going to do a form1 on it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Very nice, and thanks.
quote:
There are just so many choices to choose from

Here I'm keepin' it simple. I'd like a rifle, 7.62x39, with one of PSA's FN-recipe CHF barrels. Those models get expensive quick, though, which is yet another reason to trawl for feedback before committing to buying one.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that they bought an established AK builder, and the knowledge, tools, and skills that came with those employees. So not really an off the ground effort...

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Stories vary on the internutz. The version I heard was that they and another American company were both getting into manufacturing the 7.62x39 rifles at about the same time, the other company folded, and PSA is said to have picked up the assets.