SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    re: building an ar pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

re: building an ar pistol Login/Join 
posted
Hello,
I hope I'm in the correct section.

I have a friend who is asking me to build an AR pistol for him. He already has a brand new AR lower that included a stock but has never had any upper on this receiver.

My question : If I install a short barrel and remove his stock and install a forearm brace, is this legal ?? I don't want either of us to get into any trouble.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks, mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
All-caps thread titles get the frown here.

I think it might depend on what the 4473 said when he bought it. If it transferred as a rifle lower, that’s all it can ever be without a tax stamp.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smudge is correct if the lower was transferred as an “other” it can be made into a pistol. But if transferred as a rifle then it has to stay a rifle. The lower must be transferred as other or specifically as a pistol to be assembled into a pistol

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
is it "other" or "receiver" on a 4473?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently had a thread on this. The ATF guidance is clear. If the receiver in question has never been built as a rifle you may make a pistol. the 4473 transfer type is not relevant. If it has already been built as a rifle then it would constitute a "weapon made from a rifle" and an NFA firearm and you can't.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
We recently had a thread on this. The ATF guidance is clear. If the receiver in question has never been built as a rifle you may make a pistol. the 4473 transfer type is not relevant. If it has already been built as a rifle then it would constitute a "weapon made from a rifle" and an NFA firearm and you can't.

Thank you ! This is exactly the knowledge I was hoping for. I appreciate your time. mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post