SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MPX question….16” to start with
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX question….16” to start with Login/Join 
posted
Ok, So going to pick up a MPX tomorrow. I have two options. Get the 16” with folding stock or get the MPX K 4.5” with the ‘swivel’ brace. Either way, I plan on buying the 8” ILWT barrel. If I buy the 16”, no SBR issues and can swap out barrel ‘when I get the NFA stamp’ or simply remove the stock/brace. If I get the 4.5” I get a brace I don’t think I will be crazy about and will have to upgrade anyway. Same price for either size.

Thoughts?

slingshots are my favorite

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Basically what dwd is saying is that pistol braces are in the process of being outlawed by the ATF.
There will likely be several legal challenges to this, but the outcome of that is unsure and it'll be a lengthy process.

So the safe bet would be to get the 16" version.

However, you state your intent to turn this thing into an SBR anyway.
Current word is that as part of the pistol brace ban, the ATF will allow all existing firearms with a pistol brace to be registered as an SBR and they'll waive the $200 tax stamp.
So that might be the smart play for you.

Either way, congrats on your new gun Smile

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to think about handguard length, unless you plan to replace those when you do your barrel swap. Your new 8" barrel will be way to short under the 16" gun's handguards, unless you plan to sleeve it over a suppressor (providing the inner diameter allows). The 4.5" base gun will at least be workable with an 8" barrel, if goofy looking.

Years ago I went 8" pistol to SBR. Never had a brace on it. Still perfectly functional if you do the whole MP5k sling technique. Current configuration is factory 8" barrel with Midwest Industries 10.5" handguard and a suppressor underneath.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks…I knew the ATF stuff, just looking for ideas. I picked up the 4.5”. I’m just going to take off the brace. I have a Kel-Tec PLR-16 that I am used to shooting with sling. (Forward pressure). I guess I’m not really getting the MPX K for any long range (realistically). Shoot from the side/hip. I’ll still get the 8” ILWT barrel.

Thanks for the replies all.

Montani Semper Liberi

slingshots are my favorite

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post