SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Using MRDS on a PCC?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using MRDS on a PCC? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Thoughts on using a high mounted MRDS like an RMR or ACRO on an SBR PCC (8” MPX in this case) vs an Aimpoint , MRO or similar?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RMR vs ACRO is a no-brainer, IMO. Go with the closed emitter of the ACRO.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Only thing I'd be worried about is the shorter battery life compared to a ~50000 battery life fuller sized red dot that you can leave on for literal years.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Only thing I'd be worried about is the shorter battery life compared to a ~50000 battery life fuller sized red dot that you can leave on for literal years.

One of the reasons I put a Romeo 5 on my 8" MPX. The long battery life plus the MOTAC (motion activated on) feature.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried mounting an RMR on several different PCC's (because I have so many of the older original RMR's that aren't really good for reciprocating pistol slides due to the battery issue) and it sucks. yea a dot is a dot and both eyes open it shouldn't matter, but I don't like it at all. Does it work, sure in the right mount and height. Does it work better for me than an MRO or traditional aimpoint, no.
(doesn't apply here, but the one use I find this works extremely well is on guns you have to mount the optic well forward like on an AK gas system or VZ in which case its mint).
YMMV of course. But I'd never buy any of the pistol optics for a subgun.
Lastly an ACRO P1 is a terrible sight due to the battery issues. A P2 wouldn't bother me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 407c on my 16" CMMG 9mm AR. I'm very happy with it. It's a range gun, so I'm not worried about closed vs open emitter. Heck, my duty handgun is wearing an open-emitter Romeo 1, so the open emitter on a rifle that spends 99% of its life in the safe is not a concern to me.

The small optic makes for a very lightweight and handy carbine, and there's less clutter in front of my face obscuring my target. I've had no issues acquiring the dot on the rifle, and it has been 100% reliable to date, although admittedly it's had a pretty easy life.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Steiner MRS on Kinetic Development mounts on all my PCCs. Nice little package.
The optic is mounted backward in the pic as I did not realize the mounts were directional. I just did not take another pic after I remounted it. Yes, battery life is minimal compared to most but it means I swap batteries every six months instead of yearly. No big deal. Cowitnesses nicely with standard flip up sights but the mount is so easy to remove it really does not matter.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25407 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just depends on the gun I guess. The Scorpion wears an Aimpoint Micro, Ruger PC Charger wears a Holosun HS507C-X2. Ruger PC Carbine which so far has only been used in IDPA PCC wears a Vortex Venom. Kinda a descending order of toughness as there is a descending order of seriousness to those PCC’s.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I run a RMR on my MPX.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Very nice. How does it work out for you?

Also, how do those aftermarket mags work? Got plenty of SIG mags, but I’m a magwhore and always want to add more to my stash…especially if they’re cheaper than factory.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Very nice. How does it work out for you?

Also, how do those aftermarket mags work? Got plenty of SIG mags, but I’m a magwhore and always want to add more to my stash…especially if they’re cheaper than factory.

The RMR works fine. I have a slight astigmatism, so that is the only reason I'm considering swapping it out.

I just got the mags a couple days ago. They have metal feed lips just like the lancers. Only thing I have noticed is its easier to tilt the follower with my finger where its next to impossible with the lancers.

I have a feeling Sig is going to drop lancer and switch to this magazine (thril I think its called?) I'm a home based dealer and my Sig rep was pushing these hard about a month ago. I have also noticed that one of my major distributors has dropped the 30 round lancer mags from their product list (they still have the 20rd). But they haven't started to offer this magazine yet.

Ill be happy with them if they work. The price of the mags was my biggest complaint for the MPX. Dealer price on these mags is $25. Lancer is $49. That's ridiculous. Especially for a 9mm mag.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint PRO on my work MP5 and a T1 on my SBR'd SP5. I tried a Steiner MRS on my CZ Scorpion, but I could never get it zeroed.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post