SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What about the Sig 522?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about the Sig 522? Login/Join 
posted
I've been gone from the forum for a number of years, mostly due to work, but I'm back and have a question: What ever happened to the 522? I mean I know Sig doesn't make it any more, but why not? They didn't sell? There were problems with them?
I've had mine since they first came out and absolutely love it. It's super accurate, a scope or red dot can be mounted in seconds on the rail, mine is crazily reliable and works with anything from standard velocity to hyper stuff, and last but not least it looks cool!
I changed out the somewhat lacking original folding buttstock for a "real one" and put a set of diopter sights on it made by Aurora (Can't even find them on the internet now) which look a lot like the originals.
The only downside to this rifle in my opinion is the recoil spring, which seems to wear out pretty quickly. I'll take a guess and say I've got 12,000-15,000 rounds through mine and have changed the recoil spring I think 3 times, so I guess even that argument doesn't hold much water.
Thanks for reading! Thoughts?

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea why the dropped the 522, other than maybe they just wanted to move on from the 55x line completely. It is sad, because it’s a great gun, but I guess Sig didn’t feel it was worth supporting any more.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I love both of mine, never a failure with any kind of ammo.

Those Aurora sights are probably worth more than the gun.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
I have one and I really enjoy shooting it, don’t think I ever have a problem no matter what type of ammo i have used. Smile

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of their 22 products were sinply rebranded items. The only exception was the caliber conversion kits for the 220, 226 and 229 Classic line.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I loved the 522 until I found that there were no spare parts.....the cocking lever is particularly fragile, it seems.

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I enjoy mine, but even more importantly, it’s a great practice & training rifle for the grandkids when they get to shoot a rifle like grandpas.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I thought the 522 was made by Sig--not a GSG or Walther rebrand.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold one, hunted another one down and wont give it up.

I shoot it suppressed and it eats everything. GREAT rifle, probably worked to well.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
The vast majority of their 22 products were sinply rebranded items. The only exception was the caliber conversion kits for the 220, 226 and 229 Classic line.

You sure the 522 was a rebrand? If so provide some details please.
Magazines were made by Black Dog machine but was under the impression the gun was manufactured by Sig not for Sig.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post