SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New BCM Upper Range Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New BCM Upper Range Report Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted
Spent yesterday morning down in the San Luis Valley with my brother and his boy. He's 9 and was super excited to try out his new black powder rifle he had got for his birthday and I was equally excited to sight in my red dot on my new BCM 14.5" upper.
Man, that thing is slick! Super accurate even with a hot bbl and the gas system is tuned perfectly. My pile of brass was almost tighter than my groups!
Had to let the kiddo have a go with it. He's lefty but right eye dominant and will out shoot you if you aren't on your game.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! Always fun shooting with your kids, and the view from your range is absolutely stunning!

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun. Dig the mountains.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6972 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, lefty and right eye dominant. That shooting position hurts my neck just looking at him. lol

Any day bringing the kids out is a good day. Nice job.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Wow, lefty and right eye dominant. That shooting position hurts my neck just looking at him. lol

Any day bringing the kids out is a good day. Nice job.

My wife and youngest son have that same affliction. She's right-handed, left-eye-dominant, and he's left-handed, right-eye-dominant. She's taken to shooting long guns left-handed, and he shoots them right-handed. It's worked out pretty well for them, especially my son who puts in a lot more trigger time than his mom. None of my rifles are set up to be ambi, either, so him shooting righty simplifies the controls for him as well.

I've seen the crossover approach work out for folks too, though, and clearly Ryan's son has it figured out!

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time with family is precious. Love when I see young people shooting.

Beautiful range as well.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats from a recent CO transplant.

I'm the opposite of your nephew. Right handed and left eye dominant. Started shooting when I was a couple of years older than him. The person who taught me to shoot discovered almost immediately that I was cross-dominant and decreed that "you will shoot left-handed". Been doing it that way for over 50 years now.

My honest recommendation is for him to shoot right-handed. He's young enough that it should start feeling natural after a couple of weeks. His current position is not really sustainable and will hold him back. And we live in a right handed world. AR's, bolt guns, etc. are all designed for righties.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Houndog:
Congrats from a recent CO transplant.

I'm the opposite of your nephew. Right handed and left eye dominant. Started shooting when I was a couple of years older than him. The person who taught me to shoot discovered almost immediately that I was cross-dominant and decreed that "you will shoot left-handed". Been doing it that way for over 50 years now.

My honest recommendation is for him to shoot right-handed. He's young enough that it should start feeling natural after a couple of weeks. His current position is not really sustainable and will hold him back.

Same here; right handed, strongly left-eye dominant. I shoot handguns righty but use my left eye, and shoot long guns left shoulder/left eye. Works fine. My dad luckily spotted my cross-dominance the first time he took me shooting.

Some rifles and shotguns (M1, M14, Mini-14, Mossberg 590) are actually better running them left-handed.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
Love BCM! My go to rifle. I have a 14.5 with pin and welded BCM flash hider with Mlok rail. It's been a tank and very accurate also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4451 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I ran a couple of mags through it again last night. I'm absolutely loving this rifle. So light and just slick as sheep shit.
I had a flip up front sight on it but found I'm quicker on target with a fixed sight. I guess it just gives me a point of reference in my peripheral as I bring the rifle up rather than looking for a dot. I also like that if the dot goes out I can still have effective sighting.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Houndog:
My honest recommendation is for him to shoot right-handed. He's young enough that it should start feeling natural after a couple of weeks. His current position is not really sustainable and will hold him back.

Bingo.

With low-recoiling rifles such as AR15 and 22lr, the crossed shooting position works. Sorta. With higher recoiling calibers it's really difficult to get square behind the rifle and manage recoil. Precision shooting becomes a serious challenge. It's best to start the change now, before habits get too ingrained.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 99% percent certain I am left-eye dominant. I am right-handed, and have always done anything gun-related as a right-eye dominant person would; it's worked out alright for me. I wasn't aware of the eye dominance thing, when I started shooting, so I never gave it a thought; still don't.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I am 99% percent certain I am left-eye dominant. I am right-handed, and have always done anything gun-related as a right-eye dominant person would; it's worked out alright for me. I wasn't aware of the eye dominance thing, when I started shooting, so I never gave it a thought; still don't.

Me too. I shoot rifles lefty and hand guns righty. I prefer it that way as it has some advantages.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post