SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Another little ditty on the Lewis and Clark Girandoni Air Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another little ditty on the Lewis and Clark Girandoni Air Rifle Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Not as detailed on the rifle but more on what it did for U.S.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Always a fascinating subject from one hell of a fascinating time.

ETA: If the stuff I found online is accurate (and if I'm correct in assuming that the balls were cast of pure lead), that would be 147 grains at 1,000 feet per second. If the expedition had been attacked (and Washington Irving's histories of the West it almost seems a miracle that they weren't), I guess it would've been the closest thing to an MP38 they could've gotten their hands on.

http://nationalinterest.org/bl...ark-expedition-45427

http://www.beartoothbullets.co...rs/php/roundball.htm

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Peace through superior firepower. As true then as it is now.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I got to see this rifle at the NRA museum at the bass pro HQ in Springfield MO.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it could have been a game changer given the proper support on the battlefield.

Your “magazines” exploding in direct sunlight might suck though. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post