SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any Flintlock Fans?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Flintlock Fans? Login/Join 
posted
As part of my US service rifle “collection” I needed a Brown Bess musket. Somehow I ended up with a pair... One Pedersoli, and one Miroku, both second model Short Land pattern. Supposedly, these two are the best reproductions, short of having one custom built.
Got a bunch of flints and need to order some .735 lead and some powder so I can go make some smoke!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
For hunting I have a Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading Hellum PA Yorktown rifle in 50cal. Never killed anything with it but it's fun to shoot and I think I'm Patriot marching to Concord with it in hand. I have owned a couple of 54's but the barrels were so long and heavy I couldn't hold them up for a shot. My 50 has a shorter barrel keeping the weight down. Groups nice as long as I keep it clean. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've got a Bess from India...I think it came from MiddlesexVillageTradingCO. SUper cool!! I had to drill the vent but It' wasnt difficult.

I also have a 45cal flintlock rifle that Mr.s Mike gave to me after I had some surgery and she knew I'd have plenty of time for recovery...swamped barrel. I only use BP for both guns...I think it was a Jim Chambers kit

When I lived in NC I went in halfsies with some guy west of Raleigh and I got 10 pounds of FFF BP. It took me some time to burn thru it all, but I did.

I have two pounds left since we moved to TX...and I love both of the guns.

I also have a 1756 Sea Service Pattern pistol too!!

Love some Black Powder

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I've got a Bess from India...I think it came from MiddlesexVillageTradingCO. SUper cool!! I had to drill the vent but It' wasnt difficult.

I also have a 45cal flintlock rifle that Mr.s Mike gave to me after I had some surgery and she knew I'd have plenty of time for recovery...swamped barrel. I only use BP for both guns...I think it was a Jim Chambers kit

When I lived in NC I went in halfsies with some guy west of Raleigh and I got 10 pounds of FFF BP. It took me some time to burn thru it all, but I did.

I have two pounds left since we moved to TX...and I love both of the guns.

I also have a 1756 Sea Service Pattern pistol too!!

Love some Black Powder

I was really only thinking of the two, maybe three that would “fit the collection”: a Bess, 1795 Springfield, and maybe an 1816 Springfield...
Now I’ve got a couple I’ve seen some of the smaller caliber Pennsylvania style rifles, and I get to thinking... Love one, but I’ve got to make sure I buy all the “scary assaulty type” rifles first. Still need to find an M1 Carbine that’s not a four figure item, and something to represent the M14..

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
yeah, I'd love to get a 1861 Springfield. A minie' ball seems like it would be really ,really cool to fling downrange!

But the Pennsylvania rifle is cool too!!

I use 70 grains of FFFg BP and a ball patched with cloth lubed with crisco or lard...and it will go thru four 1/2" pine boards at 100 yards with ease.

Works on deer too!

--------
The Bess is impressive...IIRC the standard load was 120 grains of 1Fg BP, but I use 90 grains of FFFg (cause that's what I have) and a 690 ball wrapped in cotton sheet...use lard or crisco for lube...I've shot one deer with it...at about 80 yards from a tree stand and the deer didn't move but one way...down...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am kind of torn on what to get, between a 61 Springfield or a 63 Springfield.... the 61 is kind of “the” rifle for the civil war (or war of northern aggression) period, but the 63 was the last muzzle loader made for general issue... So it sort of makes sense frame a milestone point of view for the collection.
That said, I have an original 1842 Springfield, which is cool since it saw civil/war of northern aggression service, and it was the last smoothbore made for general issue.
If nothing else, this is a lot of fun!

Bill R

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My only flintlock is a Pedersoli Mortimer which I really enjoy but do not shoot a lot these days. My eyes have played a cruel trick on me so I don't shoot any of my iron sighted rifles much. Frown

I have a '63 Springfield repro that I need to get back in working order. Way back when our muzzle loading season required round ball only. So I replaced the front sight for a much higher one and cut down the rear sugnificantly to zero for round ball. That law changed, so I got new original sights to put on but never did. The rifle developed a problem hanging up on the half cock notch and other projects became more important and it's sat ever since. (over 25 years ago now) Roll Eyes

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’m just cap and ball with a Hawken replica I made from a Thompson kit years ago.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post