SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    KCI USA MP5 mags: Ever hear of these?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KCI USA MP5 mags: Ever hear of these? Login/Join 
posted
Or have experience with them? Just visited my FFL dealer this evening and noticed there were a couple of "GEN 2" 30 rounders new in sealed plastic bags for $42 each.

I went to the website www.kcius.com where they also showed a 20 round variant. Both are curved and GEN 2 as noted above.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use them all the time. I can't bring myself to toss real $100 HK mags repeatedly on concrete which is the reality of shooting competitions for me when I use my MP5. They run fine for me(or at least have over the last couple of years), I have had no real repeatable issues. I'm assuming the Gen 2 part meant some were not ok in the past, but I have all Gen2. And even if they had some occasional issues the price difference would make me tolerate it.
supporting your local dealer is important especially if they stock stuff like this, but I've bought them for way less than $42.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Korean-sourced, I believe. Their past Glock mags definitely left a bitter taste in one's proverbial mouth and developed a reputation as being a brand to be avoided, at least in the Glock world. Not sure if they've improved much since I last tried their extended sticks, but I won't be the one to find out. In that arena they were seen as being nearly if not equally as bad as ProMag.

Interesting to find out how they do in the HK. I do have a batch of factory mags now for my SP5K but yeah, beating them to a pulp isn't something I wish to do either. I think I'll have to order a couple in to try if I can find a distributor that has any in stock.

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a couple. They do have some feed issues so I use them for training only. They also don't seat well in my sp5 and fall out of the mag well regularly. I'm not a fan.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The reviews appear split, some like them, others hate them. I think I’ll get some of the AC Unity mags to test, hope some POF or MKE mags come in, and pick up any “low priced” HK mags I see.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
Korean-sourced, I believe. Their past Glock mags definitely left a bitter taste in one's proverbial mouth and developed a reputation as being a brand to be avoided, at least in the Glock world. Not sure if they've improved much since I last tried their extended sticks, but I won't be the one to find out. In that arena they were seen as being nearly if not equally as bad as ProMag.

I bought 6 of them for my Glocks, the 33 round models. They sucked until I replaced the spring with Wolf Glock magazine springs. Then they worked perfectly.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The KCI glock mags have truly nothing to do with this. really. In any case I would reiterate that I have had very good luck with these MP5 mags. The places that I got mine all have dozens and dozens of 5 star reviews (not that those mean much) and very few complaints. They have a lifetime warranty and according to others great customer service.
You can also get them in RAL8000 which is beyond neat.
If you can find cheap POF mags I'd get those (I've had those on order for years and never see any).
Anyway YMMV as is always true, but I'd give these a try.

Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
stay away from them if you are going to trust your life with them . OK for range use. Never seem to work 100%. Have had several generations of them, same result. HK and POF run really well.

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never trust my life on any non OEM product without exhaustive testing. But I'm probably not going to trust my life with any MP5 either even if its 100% hk including mags.

But there are lots of threads about non OEM mags and normally my experience matches the majority of posts. It doesn't for ACT on the P220 but I assume that's a timing issue. But I am not one to buy one or two mags to see what happens I have around 50 of these KCI mags. I use them when competing with an MP5 or clone as tossing HK real deal mags on a concrete floor seems cruel and expensive. And for sure the ETS alternative are complete junk. These have run just fine, not marginal, just fine for thousands of rounds of competitive use.
So I wonder what exactly is the difference to Jerod experience and others and mine. no idea...

One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But I'm probably not going to trust my life with any MP5 either even if its 100% hk including mags.

hrcjon, this is an interesting position to me, would you mind elaborating on it? I ask because I am considering an MP5 clone for suppressed HD, but, of course, if it is not a reliable system, it cannot serve in that purpose. Thank you!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly didn't mean to come across suggesting that there was an issue with the basic core reliability of MP5's. Its an incredibly well proven and remarkably durable system. Clones of course vary in how well they do from as good or maybe arguably better than HK to complete junk. What I was meaning to convey is that this platform is now a bit dated as you would expect given its history. In just about any area you could name that matters in selecting an HD gun there are better and more modern choices. Which is why the MP5's have been replaced largely in their original military role with mostly short barrel AR's. Things like Caliber options other than 9mm, the ability to easily change barrels and lengths, trigger options, ambidextrous options, reload issues that the MP5 has, optic mounting and a very long list of similar type improvements that have happened in firearms design since the late 60's.

One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Great answer, thank you, that all makes sense. Perhaps I have Nostalgia-itis . . .

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post