SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 553 experts. Help.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 553 experts. Help. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still don’t understand what the other sight is for?

Dude, it's a night sight; there's tritium in it; it glows. To accommodate the tritium, the sight needs to be fatter, which is not preferred for most conditions, so it flips out of the way. The IWI Galil (before the ACE) has the same functionality. Think of it like pistol night sights.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinged necks are standard. I've been told it doesn't effect reloading. The flip up front sight with tritium dot is for night shooting.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
I still don’t understand what the other sight is for?

Dude, it's a night sight; there's tritium in it; it glows. To accommodate the tritium, the sight needs to be fatter, which is not preferred for most conditions, so it flips out of the way. The IWI Galil (before the ACE) has the same functionality. Think of it like pistol night sights.

I’m not into the brevity thing man. Please call me El Dude-er-eno.

Ehhh. That explanation does not work.

At 25 yards. With that front sight up. It hits 3/4 inches low. With the other sight. I’m dead on…..

So is it only for engagements CQB-ish?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not into the brevity thing man. Please call me El Dude-er-eno.

Ehhh. That explanation does not work.

At 25 yards. With that front sight up. It hits 3/4 inches low. With the othe

That's my take on the night sight too.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for my earlier, somewhat frustrated response. Do you have your weapon's user manual? The manual does have an image of the proper sight picture for the night sights; you align the three tritium dots; all the tritium dots sit on a slightly higher plane. If you were shooting in daylight, for zeroing purposes, with the night sight deployed, you would not have been using this sight picture, as it would have been quite obtuse. You would have had the tip of that night sight blade buried in the smaller daylight notch or in a peep hole, either of which would have had the front of the gun sinking, causing your shots to drop. The night sights are not just for CQB; they are for whatever you can reasonably engage in whatever conditions you're using them in. They are not a precise sighting solution, but they certainly don't hit low by design, and they are a hell of a lot better than no night sights. Go outside with your gun at night, with the night sights deployed, and have a look. I hope this explanation works.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Yeah, they damage brass, assuming you can find it after it gets chucked a country mile!

I think the only rifle harder on brass is the HK93/53

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post