SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    anyone own a kidd brand 10-22?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
anyone own a kidd brand 10-22? Login/Join 
posted
looking at buying of the kidd classic ultra light rifle's. i am turned off buy by the ruger 10-22 issues i had in the past so i prefer to pay for quality if it will work right. if you have a kidd built rifle, do you like it? any issues?

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
What "10/22 issues" have you had in the past?

I haven't had a complete Kidd rifle, but I built a 10/22 using one of their barrels and one of their triggers.

With reasonable quality match ammunition, it was just as accurate as my Lilja-barreled Sako Quad and several Anschutz rifles I have access to. It might lose a little ground with absolutely top-quality match ammunition - I've never tried.

The Kidd trigger compares favorably to an Anschutz match trigger.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
looking at buying of the kidd classic ultra light rifle's. i am turned off buy by the ruger 10-22 issues i had in the past so i prefer to pay for quality if it will work right. if you have a kidd built rifle, do you like it? any issues?

I don't have an actual Kidd built rifle, but everything on my 10/22 is Kidd except the trigger group assembly which is a Volquartsen TG2000 and the stock which is a Hogue overmoulded. And of course the scope and rings which are Nikon.

It is 100% reliable. The 16.5" fluted barrel more than lives up to their 1/2" at 50 yards 5 shot group guarantee with just about any target grade ammo.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
What "10/22 issues" have you had in the past?

I haven't had a complete Kidd rifle, but I built a 10/22 using one of their barrels and one of their triggers.

With reasonable quality match ammunition, it was just as accurate as my Lilja-barreled Sako Quad and several Anschutz rifles I have access to. It might lose a little ground with absolutely top-quality match ammunition - I've never tried.

The Kidd trigger compares favorably to an Anschutz match trigger.

i had two different rifles. the first after 2 different trips to ruger would still not feed reliably. i changed extractors and had a gunsmith look at it. tried different mags and ammo and it would jam every third round or so. i gave up on it. the second started doing the same thing after a 500 rounds. my ruger mk2 has never given me issues so i still like ruger products just not the 10-22.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The 10/22 has a pretty good reputation for reliability.

My rifle had a Tactical Solutions X-Ring receiver along with the Kidd barrel and trigger. It would run and run and run until the receiver was so crapped up you could barely pull the bolt back. A couple of blasts of brake cleaner and it'd be back in action.

I only ever used factory 10 round magazines.

I use the past tense because I sold the rifle to a friend - I wanted to swap the barrel for one with a threaded muzzle, then couldn't get the barrel out of the receiver, and decided what I really wanted to do was order a Kidd Supergrade with the threaded barrel-to-receiver interface (plus the threaded muzzle, of course). I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com. Lots of good info there.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Report This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
I don't own a Kidd factory rifle. Having said that, my 10/22 is all Kidd minus the receiver and stock. I wouldn't hesitate to do it all again. Tony Kidd builds excellent rifles and components.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Kidd complete, built around their Supergrade receiver (I bought one for my son also).
I had Tony Kidd build them, including glass bedding. The only thing that is Ruger on my rifle is the magazine. It is literally my favorite rifle I own. Just as accurate as my son's Anschutz, IMO. The build and finish is amazing, no slop or burr marks. And the trigger, a 2-stage with adjustable pull, is by far the best trigger group I have, better than the Geissele ones in my ARs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post