SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    First New Gun in YEARS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First New Gun in YEARS Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Technically, I did sell my AR to get this- a Steyr AUG M3 A1 NATO. I'm not regretting it at all.

This thing balances so well and is just a damn cool design. Upgrades include a case deflector, metal sear (HUGE trigger improvement), charging handle, non-rotating QD sling swivel, 3-prong flash hider, Geissele ACOG mount, and extended receiver rail. I also have a suppressor gas regulator on the way (for later...).

Frankly, I was just getting bored with the AR-15. I had an M4gery that just plain worked, but it went to a good home with a coworker; it was his first AR.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subscribed so as to replicate your extras when I get my AUG... someday. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Subscribed so as to replicate your extras when I get my AUG... someday. Smile

Make it sooner rather than later! To make it easier:

Charging handle: Manticore Arms switchback
Case deflector: Corvus Defensio
Sear: RATWorx
QD sling point: Corvus Defensio
FH: SIG
ACOG: TA31 RCO red chevron
Mount: Geissele super precision low profile mount

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I’ve always wanted one of those.

Funny enough in a thread in the pistol section I said that I don’t usually care about the color of guns but I really dig that color on that rifle.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I wanted black, but this is growing on me.

posted Hide Post
Enjoy your new rifle. Hopefully it meets or exceeds your expectations.

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Frankly, I was just getting bored with the AR-15. I had an M4gery that just plain worked....

On recurring basis, I see posts where people describe their guns "as boringly accurate". Or shooting sessions as "boringly uneventful". Or that they're getting bored with a particular gun, or a group of firearms.

There are things which I consider expectations that others might consider boring, such as:
- consistently hitting targets with great accuracy
- having firearms that feed, fire, and cycle without issues
- using targets of the proper sizes, distances, and locations to challenge my abilities

If you were getting bored with an AR15, you might consider how you shoot, rather than what firearms you shoot. Without change, you might find that your new Steyr will also become boring over time.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Well said, but I was mostly bored with that design. I hadn’t had any other semi auto rifle for almost 2 decades. Given that long with no other refreshing options, the AUG may indeed grow stale.

I don’t plan on not having other options this time.

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Excellent, AUGs should be green!

Do you have the stock cleaning kit and inner cap?

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Good Choice!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great snag. I went through the same type deal although I didn’t get the AUG because I was getting bored with the AR design (I did go through the same process though many years back. Honestly I wanted to try all sort of designs.) Mine was an A3 with the extended rail and I’ve mounted a Steiner M332 upon it. Thinking the Ratworx sear and Corvus deflector are probably soon to follow. I absolutely love shooting the AUG and I didn’t expect that reaction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle sir. Steyr's manufacturing facility in Bessemer is just over the hill from the house and there have been many times I have been tempted during their open house but have managed to keep my nose clean.

Enjoy it as they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was mostly bored with that design.

quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I was getting bored with the AR design

What part of the AR design is boring? I don't recall ever being bored with any firearm's design.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I carried and used M16’s professionally for a lot of years. Sort of like my first and second girlfriend, I was ready to try something new after a long time with the same ole same ole.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
I was mostly bored with that design.

quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I was getting bored with the AR design

What part of the AR design is boring? I don't recall ever being bored with any firearm's design.

Imagine you have one car for 15 years. You don’t drive anything else. Then you drive a friend’s car and think, “Hmmm…that was interesting.”

posted Hide Post
Nice gun!!
I have a early AUG A3 by Sabre Defense and have lately been looking for some upgrades. Did you install all your upgrades your self? And were any at all difficult to install?
Really like mine.

Posts: 247 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
Nice gun!!
I have a early AUG A3 by Sabre Defense and have lately been looking for some upgrades. Did you install all your upgrades your self? And were any at all difficult to install?
Really like mine.

Most were originally installed by the previous owner, but I've detail stripped/reassembled it; none were difficult to install. If you get stuck, there are plenty of YouTube videos.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine you have one car for 15 years.

Records show that I purchased my first AR15 sixteen years ago. I now have various purpose-built ARs, from SBRs to long-barreled competition models.

My original AR is noticeably different now than what it was at the start. The only remaining parts are the receiver set, bolt carrier, trigger, and firing pin. I shot out the first barrel – replaced the 16” mid-length 1:9 with a 16” mid-length 1:8 twist. At the same time I changed from a quad rail to a slimmer M-LOK rail. FSB and backup iron sights went away – now a low-profile gas block and a new gas tube. The first optic was a Leupold 1.5-5x; it now sports a Vortex 2-10x. I’ve gone from a generic collapsible stock to a Magpul UBR to an STR. I retired the original bolt, due to worn lugs. The buffer spring is different now, as well has a heavier buffer. I will soon go to a JP Silent Spring. Replaced the firing pin retaining pin and the gas rings a couple of times. The grip is now a BCM. It’s the same rifle, but then again it isn’t.

I’ve had the good fortune of attending some great carbine training courses. I’ve competed in numerous rifle and carbine events. Got some trigger time behind a bunch of rifles, in various configurations, from various manufacturers. Discussed semi-auto rifle options with very experienced and knowledgeable shooters – including folks who train military, LEO, contractors, alphabet agencies, and competitors. I’ve seen what works & doesn’t work, in training & competitions, in good weather & bad.

I keep coming back to the realization that changing from an AR15 to other semi-auto rifle platforms results in compromises which I’m unwilling to accept. The first and foremost compromise is accuracy. Other compromises include:
- reduced modularity
- reduced barrel options
- poorer ergonomics, and fewer options to change ergonomics that don’t fit the shooter
- reduced cycling reliability
- challenges with suppressors
- magazines – reliability, cost, and available options on the market
- flexibility with different types of ammo

Few people shoot their AR15s enough to truly understand the gun's capabilities. Few people shoot their AR15s enough to even require replacing what is usually the first wear item – the firing pin retaining pin. They don’t even come close to using the rifle enough to wear out a barrel or a bolt.

People state that they’re bored with their ARs, but I doubt it is ever the rifle itself. People talk of “boringly accurate” AR15s. It likely comes down to repetitive, unimaginative, and unchallenging shooting practices. After at least 25,000 rounds through my ARs, I still look forward to shooting them. Every time.

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
To each his own. Smile

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I never said I don’t shoot the AR15 or that I don’t like the rifle/carbine. I’ve shot them in most any configurations and still own and shoot 7 and my wife and two daughters each own one per. I’ve shot everything from full autos to semi autos in the military and in competitions. Some were repetitive and unimaginative, some weren’t. The AR15 has its advantages over others and could do better in other areas. We could go tit for tat agreeing and disagreeing over some of those all year long. One quick example is the AUG has a much lower center of gravity and balances better for many different people. As I age and as arthritis eats my body away, I find I value the center of gravity being closer to my body with the AUG though the trigger will never be as light and nice as an AR can be. If you want to shoot nothing but AR15’s and they take care of every application for you and you desire no other rifle/carbine I say awesome, that’s great for you. I’m happy for you. You know, some people buy their first car (mine was a Chevrolet Vega, yes go ahead and rotfl) and that’s all they want to drive the rest of their life. Ok, the Vega isn’t offered anymore. Let’s use a Ford F-150 pickup. Maybe that does everything you want it to do and does it super well. Maybe you buy only Ford F150’s all your life. Maybe though you see a Dodge Charger one day, after years of driving the F150, and decide you always wanted to drive or own one of those so you buy a Dodge Charger and either trade in your F150 or you keep the F150 AND the Charger. Neither is wrong for anyone. Don’t know anyone personally who has drivin the same model car or truck since childhood but I’m sure they exist. Some people only buy Cadillac luxury cars (land yachts) all their lives. Me, I’ve owned and driven PU trucks of and cars and motorcycles and enjoyed and appreciated the differences in each. The variety is refreshing. Hopefully you get the idea. There is not her wrong with or abnormal about someone shooting or driving something different. I get it, you’re an AR guy but there’s nothing to puzzle about other using other methods of getting to the same place. Life and shooting can be an enjoyable experience. Some just go about it a different way than you do. That’s ok. To me, there’s a lot of fun to be had shooting in a competition and seeing someone else shooting something different than everyone else, approaching them and swapping rifles or pistols to make a run in that competition.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,