SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Question about focal planes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Question about focal planes Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
I already know about first and second focal planes. What is a rear focal plane? I'm guessing it's a first, in which case I won't want it.
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Rear is second focal plane, assuming rear means the back of the scope. I've never heard of a rear focal plane.





Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
 
Posts: 6035 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A Burris scope described as having "'rear' focal plane" turned up in my Amazon "suggested" feed and piqued my curiosity.
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'm guessing it's a first, in which case I won't want it.

What is your expected use, and how will the focal plane location affect your use?
 
Posts: 8494 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The more common way of referring to the two types of focal planes is first and second, but front and rear are not unknown. The terms refer to the same things.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity I asked AI Gemini what manufacturers use “front” and “rear” focal plane terminology, and the answer listed several companies. When I checked individual web sites, I found that all were wrong; they all use first and second or 1 and 2.

A follow-up question referenced possible English translations of European terms that made some sense, sort-of, and as I think about it, I may be remembering terms I saw years ago before the present terminology was adopted by all companies. But of course if you saw “rear” mentioned, that indicated it was used at one time at least.

And front and rear do obviously match the first and second positions labeled in the scope illustration that benny6 posted.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Both the Amazon link and the Burris site show this. (Naturally, because the Amazon link is the Burris store). Screenshot from Burris site:


I have no plans to actually purchase this, or anything else, at this time. I already have three Sightrons that are very good for the money. I was merely curious about the wording.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,
 
Posts: 32047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Question about focal planes

© SIGforum 2026