SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Replacement stock (and barrel identification) ... 257 Roberts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement stock (and barrel identification) ... 257 Roberts Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
I have a 257 Roberts mauser action from the 1950's or earlier that was passed down to me.

Would like to replace the stock as the original stock is in tough shape.

Where can I find a stock ?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Com 45acp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 521 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys ... probably what I should do is pull the rifle out of the same and figure out the make and model. Eh .. Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Update: Am trying to identify the barrel so I may find the appropriate replacement stock.

The rifle is mauser action from the 40s or early 50s. Markings on the barrel are :

RW (the W is underlined) E

N

St.m.G.

10 gr

Thanks.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
probably a German made sporter, or proofed there,

for a stock

try Richard's Microfit,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Learned late last night that RwE stands for "Reichswerke Erfurt" (former Royal Prussian arsenal).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Learned late last night that RwE stands for "Reichswerke Erfurt" (former Royal Prussian arsenal).

Sounds like that gun has a bit of history...are you sure you want to replace that stock ?? If you do replace , I'd suggest t6hat you save the original. Maybe , just a careful, limited "restoration" ( buff and shine a bit) ???

Good on you for wanting to take care of it !! Smile

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Without photos, they can't even begin to help you.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:

Sounds like that gun has a bit of history...are you sure you want to replace that stock ?? If you do replace , I'd suggest t6hat you save the original. Maybe , just a careful, limited "restoration" ( buff and shine a bit) ???

Good on you for wanting to take care of it !! Smile

I was thinking the same. The original stock has minor surface damage, and a chip of the wood, from a mishap in the 60s. Otherwise all is fine, and shoots great.

Think I will just clean up the old stock, make the minor repair, lightly stain, finish and enjoy as is.

Appreciate your thought on preserving the history of a great usable deer rifle !

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Without photos, they can't even begin to help you.

Actually, photos would not have been any further help than the information I provided ... and trying to post photos have been a pain the ass for me so I do not bother.

Big thanks to mike28sw as he nailed on the head what was lingering in the back of my mind ...

... Occam's Razor (keep it simple stupid). And keeping it simple is best for this old dino.

Smile

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mausers have different size receivers, so measure yours at the front of the receiver and use that measurement before you order from Boyd’s, etc.

This link is a great reference and has measurements

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com...auser_reference.html

It sounds like you have a large ring Mauser

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Mausers have different size receivers, so measure yours at the front of the receiver and use that measurement before you order from Boyd’s, etc.

This link is a great reference and has measurements

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com...auser_reference.html

It sounds like you have a large ring Mauser

Not gonna order a stock, best to follow mike28w post and refinish minimally, wood and metal, with what I have. Best advice over all.

Thanks everyone ... I am good to go now. Smile