SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have AR-180 magazine questions, can the Sigforum brain trust offer some advice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have AR-180 magazine questions, can the Sigforum brain trust offer some advice? Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
I traded someone for a Sterling made AR-180, but it only came with a crappy Ram line mag that was made to for AR-15’s, AR-180’s and Mini-14’s. I have read that USGI mags can be massaged to fit and function, has anyone tried it? How about Thermold? I see that those are still available and around $15. I suspect that they are about the same quality as the Ram Line mag I have. I read where someone also claimed Gen3 PMAGS were easy to convert. The Gen3 logo is the exact spot where the mag slot needs to be cut. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My friend James bought a truckload of Thermold mags when they closed up busines after a family member died, prolly a decade ago.

His email is blackcreekguns @ gmail.com. Remove the spaces around the @.

He was selling them by the box during the Hillary run up to President, and the run up to bidet. He is listed on Gun Broker as Floodzone….

Email him and ask if he still has any thermolds for sale…he’s semi-retired now so it may be a few days before he can ship them, if he has them in stock.

Hell, he might even have a few AR180 mags hidden about.
Good luck

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes a GI magazine can be modified to use in an AR180. A slot for the 180 magazine catch has to be cut in the GI magazine. Use an original 180 magazine to make a template to mark the GI magazine. Cut the slot with a Dremel or needle files. I did this with several 20 round GI magazines for an AR180 that I used to have. I never tried it with a 30 round magazine, but it should work also.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
My friend James bought a truckload of Thermold mags when they closed up busines after a family member died, prolly a decade ago.

His email is blackcreekguns @ gmail.com. Remove the spaces around the @.

He was selling them by the box during the Hillary run up to President, and the run up to bidet. He is listed on Gun Broker as Floodzone….

Email him and ask if he still has any thermolds for sale…he’s semi-retired now so it may be a few days before he can ship them, if he has them in stock.

Hell, he might even have a few AR180 mags hidden about.
Good luck

Thanks Mike

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do some searching, there's a fairly active AR-180 community out there. When I was looking at getting one, I found the blueprints for magazine conversions relatively easily.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago. Converted several AR15 mags to work in the AR180. Insert the mag, tap the release lightly and it will mark exactly where the slot should be cut. And, if I remember correctly, I would have to hammer down the mag catch protrusion on the AR15 mag slightly.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Btw, never ever, ever drop the hammer with the action open on an AR-180. The hammer will break and there are no replacement parts. Be very careful when cleaning.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I have heard about issues breaking the bolt hold open if the hammer falls on it with the gun open. Didn’t know about hammer damage. Thanks for the info.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you have a factory mag, or one that is cut correctly, it is pretty easy to set up a vice in a drill press or a table top mill and cut them,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post