SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Side chargers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side chargers Login/Join 
posted
For those of you who use a side charger on your AR - do you like it and which version do you use?
I am looking at a Gibbz side charger - I get tired of the regular AR charging system - trying to negotiate around my optic.

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've done a number of the side-chargers in 556/223. I have found them to be quite reliable, having put around 3k rounds through my first build.
I like them- one advantage is when using suppressors you don't get the puff of gas in your face (from rear of rifle from charging handle opening. The side-chargers essentially are sealed at the rear). You can also raise the buttstock level or cheek riser design because there is nothing to go backwards as does the traditional AR charging handle.

Most of the ones I've built were Bear Creek Arsenal Gen 1 (removable round charging handle).
They have now changed to a angled charging handle on the Gen 2.
Also did a few AR Stoner models. Both companies make good products.
Only comment about the Gen 1 (and probably the Gen 2) is that you should put a bit of blue thread locker on the threads of the charging handle on the BCG. They will work loose otherwise. It is also necessary to remove the charging handle to remove the BCG.

Another advantage is being able to cycle the rifle without losing sight picture if necessary.
All that I have done have been reciprocating.
(I have tried the non-reciprocating, but really see no big advantage unless you are concerned about the charging handle coming loose over time). Some folks like 'em, some don't, and there are more expensive models.

Unforunately the prices on the side-charging upper receivers went up (and also were unavailable) because of the pandemic like everything else.
If you would like I can post some pics of finished SC rifles. My email is also in profile.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Gibbz Side charger and it's equipped with a 20 inch Shilen Target barrel in 223 Wylde. When I assembled the upper to the barrel I found that it was a Wring Fit, as perfect a fit as can be achieved. Also found that the way the Gibbz Handguard is mounted is the slickest system on the planet and used their handguards on all 3 of my AR builds. With the scope in place it weighs in at 11 lbs., a bit of a heavy weight. However it will shoot repetitive 5 shot groups at a bit under 0.3 MOA off a rest. Note the other two are 16 inchers, one in 223 and one in 300 BLK. Both will shoot under .75 MOA.

Sum it all up and I am a real fan of the Gibbz hardware. It's extremely well made and darned near dimensionally perfect.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post