SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thompson Center Compass is an amazing rifle for the coin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thompson Center Compass is an amazing rifle for the coin Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have been slowly getting into rifles over the last few years after being primarily a pistol shooter both recreationally and competitively. I always enjoy reading about how all you guys can wring out your long guns at range and have drooled at your Sako’s, Blasers, Tikkas, Remmy 700’s, and so on. Not to mention all the beautiful scopes one can acquire that many times seem to cost as much or more than the rifle itself.

I wanted to get into the bolt action game though did not want to spend 2-3K, or even a thousand honestly. I settled on the Thompson Center Compass in 308 after reading a lot of positive reviews. Much like the Ruger American and Savage Axis, it is considered an entry level bolt gun though the Compass has a few features that made me want one. It apparently has 5R rifling making it more prone to being accurate and actually comes with a 1 MOA guarantee for 3 shot groupings. It also has a threaded barrel and is free floated. It has a nice detachable box mag, and a very nice crisp and adjustable trigger. Mine is under 3#. All for just over $300 OTD with a Vortex Crossfire II scope included!

Initially I took it out a couple times and did decent with it though was not able to get under about an inch and a quarter at a hundred yards. Still very good for me, but I felt like it could do better. I don’t reload so I have to rely on factory ammo and not all ammo is created equal as we know.

I took it out again today after getting some Federal Gold 168 gr. Sierra Matchking as it looked like quality ammo. Well you can see below that I think I have found my new load!

First group of the day off a cheap rest and bag seated at the bench.

I could have called it a day right there, but then I shot this!

Just under a half inch is the best 100 yard group I have ever shot and I’m still pinching myself that I did it with such an inexpensive setup.

And here’s the rifle and my peaceful range all to myself today

So yeah I’m getting more excited about rifles and finding it fun to expand my shooting horizons. I’d of course whole heartedly recommend the TC Compass for a great inexpensive bolt gun. I love my 308, but would love to try a 6.5 Creedmor!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Nothing is more relaxing to me that sitting on a bench and shooting sub moa groups. It’s my stress reliever. Now you need to build an AR. It’s like tinker toys.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ It became relaxing once I shot that group that’s for sure.
I have a 16” and a 10.5” AR that I have modded out and they are fun indeed!

Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting.
A buddy has been trying to get me into 6.5's, specifically the Creedmore. Closest I've come is the Grendel I picked up earlier this year. But I've been hearing a lot of good things about the compass, so maybe a Compass in 6.5 Creedmore is in my future.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks, yeah the Creedmoor has had a lot of positive reviews for long range performance. I am going to look into the caliber more.

posted Hide Post
I feel that the Thompson Center Compass is one of the best rifles out there today, even against rifles that are $700.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
This is a wonderful example of how great pleasure can come from even the most inexpensive of firearms. Very nice group, Lincoln Six Echo!

Where did you find such a good deal on the package? The best that I have found so far is $375 for the combo (rifle + Vortex).

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys! I actually found this on Kentucky gun’s site. After transfer and I believe $50 or $75 rebate, it came out to $308 after transfer fees!

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I just shot my brother’s the other day. I’m gonna get one next sale.

I liked everything about it except the trigger. His might need some adjustments or something.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I liked everything about it except the trigger. His might need some adjustments or something.

There is a simple fix for the heavy trigger pull. You can buy a spring for swapping that lowers the factory pull from 5.5lbs to about 3.5lbs.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
quote:

There is a simple fix for the heavy trigger pull. You can buy a spring for swapping that lowers the factory pull from 5.5lbs to about 3.5lbs.

Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a big portion of those group size's has to do with the driver, I am guessing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54503 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the tip!

I bought one chambered in .243 and the trigger is almost 6lbs. I’m going to be ordering the spring kit mentioned above. Thank you.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spring I ordered was actually for a Winchester Model 70 from Ernie's Gunsmithing in AZ. It was the target trigger weight which lander about 3.5lbs . I emailed him about needing a spring for the TC Compass and he pointed me to the correct spring. It was a simple swap.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a kit from Mcarbo.com. Their install video is excellent.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
The spring I ordered was actually for a Winchester Model 70 from Ernie's Gunsmithing in AZ. It was the target trigger weight which lander about 3.5lbs . I emailed him about needing a spring for the TC Compass and he pointed me to the correct spring. It was a simple swap.

I did order a spring from Ernie for my new Winchester Featherweight. It turned a decent trigger into a superb trigger.