SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Loading gate question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading gate question Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
I was reading an article on 410 shotguns where there were pictures of traditional pump shotguns and a Henry lever action shotgun with a side loading gate.

My question is why aren’t there side gate loading pump or semiauto shotguns or bottom loading lever action rifles?

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I was reading an article on 410 shotguns where there were pictures of traditional pump shotguns and a Henry lever action shotgun with a side loading gate.

My question is why aren’t there side gate loading pump or semiauto shotguns or bottom loading lever action rifles?

I don't think there is enough room in the sideplate to have an ejection port AND a gated loading port. I guess the 410 shell is small enough to have room for both?

not sure how a bottom loading lever action could work when the lever is in the way.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The side gate I as referring to is the Kings patent gate below where a side ejection port would be.

As far as the lever being in the way, the bottom loading gate on a pump action shotgun, for example, is in front of the trigger, so I was wondering why, from a physical standpoint the placement of the two different loading gates.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post