SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which 11.5” 5.56 barrel to choose?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 11.5” 5.56 barrel to choose? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking to by a quality 11.5” or 12.5” .223/5.56 barrel to build a pistol with. Ideally with a head-spaced bolt.

A run and gun games gun. I’m thinking sub $400, Chrome lined is fine mostly will be shooting bulk 55 grain. I’ll probably order a JP rifles Barrel but theyre a year out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my last few have been from Wilson because I like you can get them in colors!. I've reached the fashion section in AR builds. But I've used lots of different ones and they mostly are all gtg for what you want. I have the most experience with Noveske, Daniel Defense and Colt. Find one in the configuration you want and with that great equalizer of things (price and availability) and all will be good.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ballistic Advantage or Rosco are both very affordable and excellent performers. I really like the Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrels because, among other things, they come with a pinned low profile gas block.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
sub $400, Chrome lined is fine mostly will be shooting bulk 55 grain. I’ll probably order a JP rifles Barrel but theyre a year out.

JP's standard length shorter barrels are 10.5" and 13.5", other lengths are special order. The standard price is $479. JP is picky about the accuracy of their barrels. Similar to some other barrel makers, JP doesn't do chrome lining.

You can spend a lot less than $400. Chrome lined and 55 ball adds up to lackluster accuracy. No need for JP, Wilson Combat, or other higher priced barrels.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Mostly 55 for the first bit as I’m still gathering reloading stuff. Depending on how the summer goes I may just get a complete JP Rifle.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ballistic Advantage.

I replaced my 10.5" Palmetto 5.56 pistol barrel with an 11.5" BA barrel. I've been extremely happy with the performance for the price.

For my next build I bought one of their 16" .300 blackout barrels. No complaints with that one either.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Creedmoor Sports has 10.5" Criterion Hybrid Chrome Lined in stock. About $260-something. Watch for the 11.5 and 12.5. I got my 11.5 direct from Criterion when it popped up in stock.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You can buy a complete upper from PSA. Doesn't that come with a FN barrel? If so, why would you not get that. If you only need the barrel you can give someone the rest of it. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have a ballistic advantage on my ar and I'm happy with it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have a colt 10.3 and 11.5 socom which I like but the ballistic 11.5 and 13.7 are just as accurate with 855. They also cost half as much.

All 1/7

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Be advised new protocols of legality are coming for the AR pistol TBA August. One is a length of under 26" to meet "pistol" criteria, and its speculated any over 26" might be classed an SBR.

Because this has been considered a potential probability (which remains to be seen) I would suggest downloading the Form 4999 as a rough and inexplicable guide which the ATF if foisting off as clear and definitive.

https://www.atf.gov/file/154866/download

If none of this turns out to be the worst case situation I'm good with that. It seems to be deliberately confusing and that has caused a lot of speculation over how it's going to be applied.

If there is one guideline in all this, less is more. IE the less it looks like a rifle the more it might be a legal pistol.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
Be advised new protocols of legality are coming for the AR pistol TBA August. One is a length of under 26" to meet "pistol" criteria, and its speculated any over 26" might be classed an SBR.

Because this has been considered a potential probability (which remains to be seen) I would suggest downloading the Form 4999 as a rough and inexplicable guide which the ATF if foisting off as clear and definitive.

https://www.atf.gov/file/154866/download

If none of this turns out to be the worst case situation I'm good with that. It seems to be deliberately confusing and that has caused a lot of speculation over how it's going to be applied.

If there is one guideline in all this, less is more. IE the less it looks like a rifle the more it might be a legal pistol.

I already ran through this in another thread. An 11.5" barrel in a standard AR with a Phase 5 hexagonal pistol buffer tube of standard carbine length with a Tailhook is 25 7/8" to the muzzle, AND it passes the 4999 on points. Phase 5 makes a tube specifically for the Tailhook.

ANY muzzle device, even an A2 flash hider (1.75") will put even a 10.5 over 26", but it is unclear if the FH is included in the measurement. It is not included for SBR length determination unless permanently attached, so that was my assumption because the 4999 says to remove all "non-operational accessories". Legally speaking, if muzzle devices are not included in barrel length for SBR determination unless permanently attached, then that should be true for the 4999. But then it's the BATFE so consistency is not exactly their strong suit.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
You can buy a complete upper from PSA. Doesn't that come with a FN barrel? If so, why would you not get that. If you only need the barrel you can give someone the rest of it. Wink

Most of their uppers are outfitted with 4150 CMV Nitride, or phosphate, non-CHF (non-FN) barrels.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Well, all things considered I may just stick with a 16” carbine.

Thanks.

Banned
posted Hide Post
I haven't given up on my pistol yet.

I agree which buffer tube used makes a difference in OAL.

It is arguable the ATF may choose a new way to measure firearms, the current method is 'end of the buffer tube no accessories to the end of the barrel no muzzle devices.' Not that they can't redefine it but making each different firearm use a different method is going to eventually get scrutiny in court.

And until they actually do it, it's the only current method they have been using, for a long time.

No doubt their lack of concise and understandable guidelines is deliberate. For a lot of it, all we have are different interpretations and some are simply based on conjecture. Being a traditional gun owner means to me I don't trust them much but they painted themselves into a corner and now they do have the weight of their previous decisions against them. Their track record does show them losing cases on regulatory decisions not based on law, something Congress handed them with little guidance.

As for the incremental difference in an inch of barrel length, if you can do it, fine. I've found ammo can make it up. I quit chasing a lot of small differences because the costs are exponentially higher compared to the results.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Ugh. Well, all things considered I may just stick with a 16” carbine.

Thanks.

If you're somewhere it's legal to do it, just Form 1 it, pay the $200, and enjoy a more functional gun than a pistol with no real fear of "issues".

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
This would be used mainly out of state where the events are, I haven’t looked into that aspect in a while. I need to figure out the Trust route as well, it became an extra hassle with 41F and I haven’t looked into it since. It’s a good idea though.

posted Hide Post
Look at SF user heavyd's long running WTS ad on trusts. He's an attorney and very prompt. He has a solution for the 41F thing.

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
12.5 is the sweet stop

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
12.5 is the sweet stop

12.5 will fail the 4999 unless you put an extra short buffer tube and buffer on it that saves at least 1". Otherwise it will have to be an SBR.

At this point 14.5" pin and weld doesn't look like as bad an option anymore. Something like a Geissele Super Duty 14.5 with the factory Surefire SOCOM closed tine FH/mount on it. Other then little stuff there is nothing on a Super Duty I would feel compelled to change. Can't say that about too many rifles.