SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which 11.5” 5.56 barrel to choose?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 11.5” 5.56 barrel to choose? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Opinions vary. My opinion is 14.5 for various reasons. If you aren’t doing a lot of vehicle work or running a lot of suppressed there isn’t much real advantage in 11.5 or 12.5.

The 14.5 (pinned and welded) will never do anything any worse on a stage than the shorter guns. If you look at the new URG upper fielded by SOCOM it’s a 14.5.

For a build, I would pick the profile you like from a known manufacturer and roll with it. Or look at a whole gun from a company like PWS. I had a PWS issued for about 4 years and it was one of the flattest shooting guns I’ve ever shot. I had no issues banging out bill drills at the 25 and keeping the splits down at .20s.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Opinions vary. My opinion is 14.5 for various reasons. If you aren’t doing a lot of vehicle work or running a lot of suppressed there isn’t much real advantage in 11.5 or 12.5.

And even if you are working in cars a lot, an unsuppressed SBR is an invitation to get lazy with the muzzle since it's short enough to swing around. No doubt it's handier, and it can be used safely, but you need to be switched on to what you're doing and move at the speed of control.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I said before due to the pending Form 4999 implementation by BATFE 14.5 pin and weld for the shortest rifle, and no more than 11.5 for a pistol with a standard length pistol buffer tube and a Tailhook.

If you are going to Form 1 then do whatever but that's a personal decision if you want to deal with NFA registration. 12.5 is going to have to be an SBR, except possibly on a non-AR without a buffer tube.

URG's are 14.5 with mid-length gas, and 10.3 with carbine gas. The military stuck with the existing barrel lengths of the M4 and Mk18, but the mid-gas on the 14.5 is interesting and I am told that it smooths out the recoil due to less "dwell" and lower pressure than carbine gas systems. Probably similar to an 18" rifle gas barrel to compare it to something.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Pending the rule changes etc., I’ll stick with the 16”. The event I want it for, The Tactical Games, is pretty unique and I’m a long way from winning so the advantage will be minimal, more convenient than anything. Shots range from 15-30 and out to 300yd on larger steel. The short barrel makes it easier to sling and carry when lifting barbells and sandbags and such.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just register as a SBR. My current favorite barrels are BRT CHF CL. They are available in 11.5”, 12.5”, 14.5”, and 16.1”. I also love the Colt 14.5” M4A1 SOCOM barrel. If going 11.5”, I would go with BRT.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Del-ton makes a 11.5 chrome lined barrel. Unfortunately its not HF. But its fairly cheap.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post