SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about making an AR pistol lower into a Title 1 long gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about making an AR pistol lower into a Title 1 long gun Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I think I know the answer, but where to look for written confirmation. Say, I have a PSA pistol lower that I want to use to make a long gun with 16-inch barrel with an actual stock on it. Since this is not a NFA item, no ATF application/permit is required, correct?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rule is a pistol can go to a rifle and back. A rifle is always a rifle and going to a pistol is creating an SBR and you have to form1 it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-registering-firearm

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The rule is a pistol can go to a rifle and back. A rifle is always a rifle and going to a pistol is creating an SBR and you have to form1 it.

I know about going from a pistol to a SBR (NFA item) requiring Form 1. That's the law all of us know.

My question about using a pistol lower to make 16-inch barreled rifle. It's obvious that, since it's a non-NFA item, no Form 1 is needed. But, is there any other form or application you have to fill out? I say no.

And, thanks James, for confirming with a written source.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not require any federal form or paperwork (NFA or otherwise) to take a pistol to a rifle.
And you can go back and forth, again without any paperwork.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-registering-firearm
which was noted above and there is in addition the referenced ATF guidance letter as well as numerous other letters on this subject, and the underlying legal case.

my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
https://palmettostatearmory.co...-lower-receiver.html

You can bypass this problem for $79

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly sure why that bypasses the problem? A stripped receiver is an other initially. The advantages of starting its life as a pistol are many, which include the ability to go back and forth between rifle and pistol. So I can't see why anyone would take a stripped receiver and make it a long gun initially. It makes no sense if you ever contemplate having an AR pistol -ever-.

posted Hide Post
Legally a stripped lower is an "AOW" and if you assemble it yourself there is no way for anyone to know whether you initially built it as a rifle or a pistol. If it makes you feel better, slap a pistol extension on it for 30 seconds, then remove it and make a rifle out of it. You are now fully compliant with the law.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A stripped receiver is not an "AOW". The rest of what you say is correct.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
A stripped receiver is not an "AOW". The rest of what you say is correct.

The correct term is simply "Other." That's the word I was trying to come up with.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post