SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Magpul PRS Stock and similar products
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpul PRS Stock and similar products Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I'm building a precision AR, and I'm fond of fixed stocks with adjustable cheek risers.

I've been looking at the PRS stock (and more recently the B5 equivalent, once I learned of its existence) but just haven't been able to justify the $200+ price tag. I'd like to know if anyone here has one, and if it's worth the coin.

I don't like spending that kind of coin (at least on this; I've happily spent way more on my bolt rifles), but I will if it means getting what I want. I don't predict this project to be done for at least 6 months or more, so it's not an urgent need, but it is something that's coming.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have 2 or so with that stock.
It is a great stock but heavy like most precision stocks.
Love the adjustability.
I think it is appropriately priced.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience specifically with the PRS, but you did say "similar products," and I have owned a UBR for about a decade plus now. It's as solid as solid gets. Was totally worth the money for a precision setup.

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ I do like the UBR a lot too.

A couple of my PRS all gussied up:

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a PRS that I feel was an upgrade to the stock that came on my JP Precision JP-15 rifle. On the other hand, I also have a Magpul PRS Lite stock on another rifle that isn’t tricked out as much for precision shooting as the JP. It turned out that the Lite has been as good for the purpose as the standard.

The cheek riser of the Lite must be adjusted by use of an Allen key whereas the standard obviously has a finger-adjustable wheel. The Lite length of pull is also adjustable, but not with the standard model’s wheel. If there’s no need to adjust the riser or LOP in the field, the Lite system works just as well, if not quite as conveniently.

The standard PRS has M-LOK slots on the bottom whereas the Lite does not. I therefore had to screw a Picatinny rail section to the Lite to attach the monopod that is standard equipment for me. I also like a QD sling attachment socket near the rear of the stock, and found an aftermarket option for the Lite. The standard PRS comes with a mounting attachment that can be switched from one side to the other.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stocks on ARs are highly personal. A quality stock that works for you makes a big difference in transforming an AR15 carbine into a precision rifle. IMO the most important thing a precision-type stock does is provide a consistent cheek weld, and allows for the fundamentals of marksmanship to be implemented.

For a long time I had just the traditional 6-position collapsible stocks on my ARs. But I wasn't obtaining the accuracy I desired. I first tried the Magpul UBR. It felt solid. But the cheek rest just didn't work for me. In competitions I often threw shots high, due to trying to obtain a consistent cheek weld from barrier supported positions. I finally ditched it when I tried what other competitors used. For a collapsible stock, where decent accuracy was required, I now use Magpul CTR.

I shot a buddy's Luth-AR stock. Didn't care for it -- it felt flimsy and cheap.

A buddy bought the Magpul PRS light. Thought it would be the ticket -- ended up selling it and going back to the Magpul PRS.

I have 3 Magpul PRS stocks -- 2 on AR15s and 1 on an AR10. They really are great stocks, and they allow me to switch from my bolt action precision rifles to my AR precision rifles without much fuss. The PRS stock is expensive and heavy, but it just flat out works for precision shooting.

The one improvement that I recommend to Magpul is to have the PRS stock made a little shorter. It can be extended quite a bit, but it has a fairly long length of pull to begin with. For people using their PRS-equipped rifles only for bench or prone shooting, the PRS length of pull is fine for most folks. For those of us who use PRS-equipped rifles for shooting from barriers, with a sling, or from some of the cockamamie #$%&@ positions that PRS-type match directors come up with -- sometimes a shorter length of pull promotes better shooting.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I don't have experience specifically with the PRS, but you did say "similar products," and I have owned a UBR for about a decade plus now. It's as solid as solid gets. Was totally worth the money for a precision setup.

This. I have a UBR Gen 2 on a JP rifle and that this is just the tits. Rock solid, super adjustible, great cheek positioning. I love mine.

Sorry, no experience with the PRS.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1950 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Is it the case that shorter length of pull adjustments are not possible with rifle length buffer tubes?

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Is it the case that shorter length of pull adjustments are not possible with rifle length buffer tubes?

The minimum length of pull is based on the stocks. They are set fully forward.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I'm probably going to cough up for either the UBR or PRS G3.

The rifle that gets this is going to have a 24" Shilen (likely) barrel and a Timney Calvin Elite trigger. I'm not all that concerned about the LoP as this is a fun gun, no competition planned for it. That's what the 6GT build is for.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not an answer to your question, but it reminds me that the UBR comes with it's own buffer tube, which is "entry" length. Somewhere between carbine and rifle length, I think. Fully collapsed, the UBR is the same length as an entry stock.

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
As usual, there isn’t anything I could add to Fritz’s comments as he’s spot on. I’ve got a couple gen1 PRS & a gen2 as well as a Luth-AR
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I shot a buddy's Luth-AR stock. Didn't care for it -- it felt flimsy and cheap.

The reason it felt flimsy and cheap, it is!
I’m also a big fan of the UBR, and have several gen1 & 2 … they are heavy and would choose something lighter if I were an “operator” or going into battle, but as an old man that no longer spends weekend’s training etc I appreciate the extra weight & stability.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://magpul.com/prs-gen3-pr...?mp_global_color=118

"LOP, M4 Collapsed ~14.3 in."

Fourteen and 3 tenths inches doesn't seem very short.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"LOP, M4 Collapsed ~14.3 in."
Fourteen and 3 tenths inches doesn't seem very short.

No, it isn't short. IMO the PRS stock is a rifle-length AR stock that can be made....even longer.

Here's a .223 AR15 with 24" barrel and PRS stock. When I shoot this rifle in barrier training, it doesn't feel all that different in dimensions to my precision bolt action rifles.

And a 6 Creedmoor AR10 with a 22" barrel and PRS stock.

These are not dainty rifles.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post