SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka "Battue" ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka "Battue" ? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Not sure what to think about it. Jungle cabine?

Open sights, 20" barrel?

I had never heard of it. I suppose the sight system could be removed and the rifle could be scoped.

Any one know any further details on this model. I had never heard of it until recently

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Shorter-barreled, open-sighted hunting rifles excel at shots on closer-ranged, fast-moving game, like game that is on the run after being flushed out of cover.

It's even right there in the model name: Battue means "driving game animals out of cover towards a hunter or group of hunters". Such driven hunt techniques are commonly used for hogs, and occasionally for deer. Also used on some African game.

But most hunters these days have no need - or desire - for iron sights. They hunt by either stalking or just by sitting and waiting, with their shots being taken through scopes on stationary animals, sometimes at longer ranges. So these rifles are aimed at a bit of a niche market.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I suppose the sight system could be removed and the rifle could be scoped.

If you want a 20" barrel Tikka but don't plan to utilize the iron sights, there's no reason to go with a Battue model and have to fuss with removing the iron sights. Just get a standard T3X Compact instead.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Don't the battue rifles tend to come with a sort of downswept (if that's even vaguely the word) buttstocks? I remember lusting over at least a couple of CZs and a Brno but wondering about what seemed to be an odd choice of buttstock shape.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First I'd heard of that.
Looks to be old enough that it's not even listed in their 'old rifles' section.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of that P250. I believe it is a T3 model. There are vids of them and they look like current Tikka rifles.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks to be old enough that it's not even listed in their 'old rifles' section.

There are three Battue models listed on Tikka's website here:

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles

The T3X Battue Lite is current production and available:

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-battue-lite

There's also a (non-lite) T3X Battue with a wood stock offered on various retailers' sites, but it doesn't seem to have a page on Tikka's site for some reason.

The older T3 Battue and T3 Battue Lite were discontinued a couple years back (along with the other non-X T3 rifles), and are under the Old Models heading:

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/ti...old-models/t3-battue

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/ti...odels/t3-battue-lite

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Weird, when I looked at the Tikka site earlier, the list was much shorter Confused

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Don't the battue rifles tend to come with a sort of downswept (if that's even vaguely the word) buttstocks? I remember lusting over at least a couple of CZs and a Brno but wondering about what seemed to be an odd choice of buttstock shape.

battue (bæˈtuː; -ˈtjuː; French baty)
n
1. (Hunting) the beating of woodland or cover to force game to flee in the direction of hunters
2. (Hunting)
a. an organized shooting party using this method
b. the game disturbed or shot by this method
3. indiscriminate slaughter, as of a defenceless crowd
[C19: from French, feminine of battu beaten, from battre to beat, from Latin battuere]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/battue

These rifles are/were designed for hunting when game is/was likely to appear suddenly and on the run. The stock design facilitates quickly mounting the rifle and taking the shot with iron sights (or low mounted optics).

Very much like hunting flushed birds or International Skeet.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While he doesn't have open sights, this is the kind of hunting the rifle is for.

I wish this Tikka rifle was made in 6.5x55 swede.....

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
That is some "culling the herd."

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
While he doesn't have open sights, this is the kind of hunting the rifle is for.

Wow: That was some amazing shooting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this version of the rifle imported into the USA?

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking for the 308 and 30/06 for a few years now with no luck.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post