SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finished my personal double-lug M14 *with range report. 0.16" 3-shot group with iron sights*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my personal double-lug M14 *with range report. 0.16" 3-shot group with iron sights* Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I built this LRB rear-lugged a couple of years ago and it was my best shooting rifle ever with 1/2" groups when it was in a JAE chassis and using a scope. The barrel was furnished to me by Lothar-Walther as a T&E barrel with no strings attached.

I decided to add the front lug which means it could only fit into a bedded McMillan stock. I had an old navy grey stock and I routed it for the lugs and added steel pillars. It was a rough looking stock, but it works!

It also has a Shooting Sight trigger and speed hammer, a Sadlak vented gas piston, a GI unitized gas cylinder. reamed flash suppressor and NOS NM/2A rear sights.

Here's the stock before painting and bedding...

This was the action while it was being bedded...

I sanded the stock and gave it a few coats of OD Green Krylon.

Rear lug pillar...

Front lug pillar...

All pained and assembled...

At the range...

I was VERY happy with how it turned out! All GROUPS WERE SHOT USING IRON SIGHTS! My largest group was 1.164" at 100 yards. My final group was a 3-shot group after coming down 1/2 MOA with my rear sight aperture was 0.160"! I measured the first two and last three shots and even with the 1/2 MOA sight adjustment, all five shots still came in at 1.00"! I was probably looking at a 1/4 or 3/8" group if I had not adjusted my sights.

Thanks for looking!

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very impressive Tony! Nice rifle.

Even better that to the casual observer, it looks boringly bone stock.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12741 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
It is always interesting what goes into this generation of rifles. Very cool. Modern rifles seem to just be spat out of a CNC machine these days, and are all on some skeletonized chassis. They just seem like a barrel attached to a slightly different shape of aluminum and all look the same. I appreciate the post.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words! Instead of reposting what's really involved in a double-lugger, I'll just refer to the thread on Wes Howe's rifle that I built a while back. It goes into much more detail on what is involved.

It's hard to believe it's been 3 years since I built his.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...830024764#3830024764

Tony.

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, If it wasn't you posting it, I wouldn't believe it. Great work, great shooting.

I gotta admit, It's pretty cool to watch the evolutions and improvements that have been made in the M14.

Posts: 4538 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Most impressive craftsmanship. Thank you for posting your work.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Great looking setup. Some fine trigger squeezing going on there.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Benny, what does the aluminum cylinder serve on the barrel?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
While the bedding is curing, it keeps the barrel centered over the barrel channel and also sets the draw pressure at the gas cylinder. The draw pressure was really heavy and I actually wanted less draw pressure than what I got. But obviously, the rifle said it was the right amount.

It's referred to as a bedding collar or a bedding doughnut. I made this one on the lathe out of scrap aluminum. They can be made in different sizes for more or less draw pressure.

More details can be found here...
https://www.m14forum.com/threa...ons-drawings.530301/

PTG also sells one here...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006962078

Most NM armorers just make them though.

There are actually a few different ways to set draw pressure and this one one of them. The other ways are a bedding fulcrum, and a V-shaped wire.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Nice job.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Your journey to refine your craft has been a pleasure to follow.

Bravo.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Keep up the good work.

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice work!!! I always read your post’s amazing skill you have.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 50 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
folks,

Here's a picture of my double lug M-14 that Benny6 built for me this past year. It's named "Reacher" and Tony did his usual stellar build job on it...

Wes

Posts: 2410 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I need to win the lottery....

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3852 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post