SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Review of US Army's new weapons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Review of US Army's new weapons Login/Join 
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted
XM-7 and XM-250

Interesting, but "toxic gas fumes" seems a little overboard.

My question is why is a suppressor needed for all?

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When being shot at with someone who is shooting a suppressed gun, it is more difficult to zero in on where the shooter is. There is less to no flash from the muzzle and the report is different.

If you’ve ever worked the butts at a service match you can hear the rounds zipping across thru the target and impacting the berm. Suppressed fire is similar. While you are protected and under the flight of the bullet you cannot hear the report of the shooter as if you were in the open. Which is very easy to determine the direction of the shooter.

Suppressed fire is different and it’s difficult to find the shooter unless you see the shooter.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That article is vague (unless I missed something) about the 6.8MM cartridge

but I am guessing its the 6.8x51MM (or the commerical equivalent .277 Fury)?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I am guessing it’s the 6.8x51MM (or the commerical equivalent .277 Fury)?

It is.

Posts: 17161 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think silencers for all is a great thing. They're not just fancy pieces for high-speed units anymore; just like NVGs proliferated to the entire force, when they used to be reserved for "elite" units. Seeing in the dark is an undeniable advantage for most soldier/marines doing most jobs; mitigating the single most negative side effect of discharging a firearm is the same kind of undeniable perk.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Good news for the military's combat effectivness. Hope Sig doesn't turn into Colt and just cater to military contracts Frown

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I found reasonably priced .277 Fury ammo on Ammoseek. Admittedly, I am surprised. True, mostly all Hornady, like 6MM ARC.
I guess 6MM ARC is overshadowed by our military's adoption of the 6.8 x 51MM ?

I wonder how history would have progressed differently, if we had adopted the .276 Pedersen (lower pressure, yes, yes, yes, I see it) cartridge in our M1 Garand, M14 and firstly proposed Stoner AR rifles.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The suppressors are also an engineering control to cut down on blast trauma to the serviceman's hearing. It only takes about five rounds to cause a permanent hearing threshold shift and cause tinnitus in the average serviceman.

Older servicemen can often get reclassified into another MOS after sustaining a hearing loss, so they can retire. Younger servicemen are often medically retired, or chaptered out of the service.

Hearing loss payouts costs the VA over a billion dollars annually its one of the most expensive disabilities to the American tax payer. Yes, over a billion. That was not a miss-spelling.

Posts: 78 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHAT???

Yeah shooting in halls and rooms sucks, it would have been nice to have cans while I was in.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Good news for the military's combat effectivness. Hope Sig doesn't turn into Colt and just cater to military contracts Frown

That's doubtful. They need us to beta test their stuff before getting govt money. Also, unlike Colt, Sig seems to like the civilian market and caters to competition shooters whenever there's a rule change.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green57:
The suppressors are also an engineering control to cut down on blast trauma to the serviceman's hearing. It only takes about five rounds to cause a permanent hearing threshold shift and cause tinnitus in the average serviceman.

Older servicemen can often get reclassified into another MOS after sustaining a hearing loss, so they can retire. Younger servicemen are often medically retired, or chaptered out of the service.

Hearing loss payouts costs the VA over a billion dollars annually its one of the most expensive disabilities to the American tax payer. Yes, over a billion. That was not a miss-spelling.

My Dad told me when he was in the Army training on the M14 in 1964-1966, they would be given just some cotton to stuff in their ears. Eek

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Went from a 6 pound gun to a 10 pound gun crammed full of complicated electronics with a new unproven round. What could go wrong?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If the round zips through Chinese body armor I will have no complaints.

Posts: 9971 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Another article

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Green57:

My Dad told me when he was in the Army training on the M14 in 1964-1966, they would be given just some cotton to stuff in their ears. Eek

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post