SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg owners chime in 500/590 pumps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg owners chime in 500/590 pumps Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I might try the Hogue. I agree the factory is not terrible but the LOP is too long for me. I put wood on my 590A1 and it's a little shorter so it fits me great.

I bought the 590A1 in 2013, it has the 5 shot tube. The 590 I bought in 2018 and it has the newer 6 shot tube. I gotta say I like the "feel" of the 590 better, both weight and balance.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Copaup, compare the Hogue and Magpul on your mossberg. Is one better than the other and why?

Thanks guys, I love hearing about what you have and how it works for you. A few upgrades and I think it will be a great shotgun.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Copaup, compare the Hogue and Magpul on your mossberg. Is one better than the other and why?

Thanks guys, I love hearing about what you have and how it works for you. A few upgrades and I think it will be a great shotgun.

I had the factory 14" LOP stock on a Win 1200, the Speedfeed stock on 870P and a regular wood stock on a regular 870, all 14" LOP.

They are all way too long for me and I was blading my shoulder while trying to keep my core square to the target. It was just no bueno being torqued like that.

I started shopping around and ended up with the same stock on all shotguns - the 12" LOP Hogue. It's nearly perfect.

It compacts up the gun, I can now stand square to the target and my shotgun skill improved. At first you will wonder if this isn't some sort of a kids gun with the short stock and while it's ideal for youth, if you're barrel chested, wear thicker or winter clothes or body armor, this is a very good answer. It is nimble and the Hogue pad is very good at absorbing recoil.

An SKS and AK all have short stocks so anyone can fire them but not so with a 14" LOP. I've given my Hogue 12" LOP 870 to some instructors who asked about it and after they fired a couple of magazines out of it they asked how much and where.

BTW, you can buy just the stock or a package that includes the forend. I never cared much for their forends or I already had a SF or Streamlight dedicated unit and didn't need it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Typing on the phone, so excuse any typos.

The Magpul is a little weird looking but feels solid as a rock. I like that it’s adjustable for LOP and has multiple options for mounting a sling. It’s heavy, but I like how it alters the balance of my 14 inch SBS. The grip puts your wrist somewhere between a traditional stock and a pistol grip. I decided I really liked this on the SBS as it makes handling the gun one handed while using the off hand for things like opening doors (or eating tactical sandwich) easy. I’ve currently got mine set up with no spacers to keep the OAL as short as possible. It makes the gun very handy, but I have to remember when not wearing armor to either keep my thumb on the right side of the grip or to not crawl the stock (bad habit) or I’ll whack myself in the nose under recoil. This isn’t a problem with the stock itself, it’s that I’m deliberately choosing to run it shorter than I really should. Unlike a pistol grip you can still easily reach the tang safety.

The Hogue looks and feels much more like a traditional factory stock. It’s denser and feels more substantial than OEM and the LOP is shorter. I prefer the way it looks and feels on the longer gun to the Magpul, but that’s purely personal preference.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m going to agree with both of the above posts. I also have a 18” barrel 870 with the 12” LOP Hogue and a 14” 590 with the MagPul and I think the stocks are perfect on those respective guns. I had a 12” LOP normal stock on the 590 but like the MagPul better, as stated above it helps keep the OAL down which I feel is an advantage on the short barrel shotgun. I also don’t have any spacers in mine.

I actually like the Hogue youth forend though since it’s longer than the original and therefore easier to reach. The combo make my 870 very comfortable to wield.

I also have an 870 with the old 14” LOP stock and it’s uncomfortable to shoulder and hold for any amount of time. I would love to meet the guys who thought that 14” was an appropriate length as a standard offering. The only reason I have not changed it is because it’s a police surplus from my local town and has all the markings on the stock. I have other shotguns so I’m keeping this one as-is simply because it’s cool looking.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I might try the Hogue. I agree the factory is not terrible but the LOP is too long for me.

The Hogue gives a 12" LOP which I find much better than stock and more comfortable to shoot. Shown in the picture in my first page post.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just for reference I thought I’d take these photos comparing a few of the shotgun stocks being discussed.

The first three are all Remington 870s, a 20ga with the 12” youth stock, a 12ga with the factory 14” stock, another 12ga with the 12” houge, then my 12ga 590 with the MagPul and no spacers. Hope this helps. On the third 870 you can also see the longer hogue forend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

A couple of things to note:

Speaking of the safety, it's plastic on every Mossberg and is a known weak point.

It's plastic on current Mossbergs and has been for many years, but it wasn't always. I don't know when they changed it, but two of the three Mossberg 500s I own have metal safeties.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Got the 500. A couple of thoughts of comparisons.

The 500's is buttery smooth. Much more than the 590. Probably new vs slightly used. Cannot say yet.

The finish on the 500 seem's lightly parkerized or similar vs just blued on the 590.

For some reason the 500 feels slightly more robust. Might have to do with the stock and finish.

Other than that I plan to upgrade the stock on the 590.

I am happy with both. I am happily surprised at the 500 to be honest. It exceeded my expectation to a degree.

Have not shot the 500 as of yet.

Again thanks for the help in this thread. The Mossberg seems to be a good choice for anyone looking for a shotgun for defense at a pretty affordable price point.

Buy the way. someone posted this in the ammo section recently. This seems to be a great price on 00 buck as far as I can tell. I ordered a couple boxes since I could not find any locally.

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...rbt129-p-111779.aspx

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of the safety, it's plastic on every Mossberg and is a known weak point.

The safety and trigger guard on my 590A1 is metal, the ones on my 590 are plastic. It dosen't really bother me.

Glad you like the 500. I love the looks of the "retro" 500 they sell and when the prices drop a bit I might seek one out. Just seems like something you'd see an old southern sheriff carrying while he kept an eye on the chain gang Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Augen he is sending me a new Magpul stock in a trade for my 590. I am not wild about the look of it. But think once I have it and install I will be pleasantly surprised. I am guessing one spacer will be a perfect lop on it.

I am also planing to put th e Mepro big bead on it that BigNC linked to. That seems like a great price and would be a great addition.

Thanks guys.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of the looks of the MagPul stock either. Honestly of the four shotguns pictured above my 590 SBS is my least favorite looking. I always preferred the rounded looks of an 870 to the 590. I love it in different ways Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Here's an article about the new 12 ga 590S. You can load full size and mini shells at the same time, it does not need an adapter.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...berg-590s-shockwave/

Here's one for sale:

https://www.kygunco.com/produc...ve-12ga-14-blued-6rd

And this is great for covert carry:

https://www.peakcase.com/peakc...wave-tac14-case.html

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks to Augen he is sending me a new Magpul stock in a trade for my 590. I am not wild about the look of it. But think once I have it and install I will be pleasantly surprised. I am guessing one spacer will be a perfect lop on it.

I am also planing to put th e Mepro big bead on it that BigNC linked to. That seems like a great price and would be a great addition.

Thanks guys.

I know thread is old but…

The Magpul stock really shines in its adjustability. If you haven’t yet, grab the cheek risers and fool around with them. I put a red dot on my 590a1 and added the medium cheek riser and it makes the gun feel super natural. I love it.

What’s everybody doing for sling mount? I don’t really like the idea of mounting it to the front tip of the magazine cap…

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
My SBS 590a1 is at my FFL now, just waiting on my form 5 to clear, it has every bell and useable whistle I could throw on it...can WAIT to get it !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
back in the very early 2000's I had the 590A1 with the speed feed, full tube and ghost rings, also had a heavy barrel 500A...I tried to like the 590 but the slide had so much play bc of the single slide bar, it would bind up with any kinda attempt at rapid fire.

I lost confidence in the Mossbergs and sold them both off... that was MY experience and nearly 20 years ago..so hopefully things have changed with them..for the better

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
back in the very early 2000's I had the 590A1 with the speed feed, full tube and ghost rings, also had a heavy barrel 500A...I tried to like the 590 but the slide had so much play bc of the single slide bar, it would bind up with any kinda attempt at rapid fire.

I lost confidence in the Mossbergs and sold them both off... that was MY experience and nearly 20 years ago..so hopefully things have changed with them..for the better

Mine does not have a single slide bar. Old design maybe? Never had an issue with mine. The ones on my 590A1 basically look like this:

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
That's great to see, and was much needed. They must've upgraded after complaints?? I'd feel much better bout owning one with the double

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am really liking the 500 with pistol grip and the 590 Security with magpul stock. I need to spend more range time with them and sort out what to feed them.

posted Hide Post
Over the years I've seen more problems out of the box with new 500's than 870's. I can't really speak on the 590's or newest incarnation of the 870.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post