SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg owners chime in 500/590 pumps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg owners chime in 500/590 pumps Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i do not like the follower in my 590. Outside of that I think it is a pretty fantastic shotty for the money.
My 500 is buttery smooth and functions great.

Care to share the "more problems" you have seen?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with my 590A1 is that it's damn front heavy because of the thick barrel and 20" full magazine tube length. Might make sense from a durability standpoint, but fully loaded with buck or slugs, that thing is too heavy.

I use the 12" Hogue stock which is perfect, but warning with the Overmold rubber covered fore end grip. Because the 590A1 barrel is physically thicker, it rubs on the rubber of the Hogue fore end and makes racking difficult. I had to trim off the rubber in the top of the fore end where it's next to the bottom of the barrel.

Another problem I had with the 590A1. If you can wrack the slide VERY hard and the safety pops to the on position, the retaining pin holding the firing pin in is bent or displaced. The pin holding the firing pin in is very thin. On my 590A1 it was completely "smooshed" against the firing pin channel and the firing pin would back past the smooshed stop pin a little (like 1/4 inch past). When the slide was racked hard, the rear of the firing pin sticking past where it was supposed to be would push the tang safety to the on position which was quite disconcerting when working the slide fast and hard and suddenly not be able to fire.

I fixed this by buying a used and assembled regular 500 series bolt on ebay and dropping it in. Was simpler than trying to drill out the little stop pin that was "smooshed" so no easy extraction.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i do not like the follower in my 590. Outside of that I think it is a pretty fantastic shotty for the money.
My 500 is buttery smooth and functions great.

Care to share the "more problems" you have seen?

Got one of these too….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post