SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg owners chime in 500/590 pumps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg owners chime in 500/590 pumps Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I would like some info on these shotguns. As I recall all go to go. Mainly 18 and 20" versions for HD. Pistols also.
Is one model preferred over the other.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the 590 all day. Bit more rugged than the 500 and if I recall, the 590 is MilSpec on most models. I have a couple of each and the 590 is preferred for me. 500 is the knock around shotgun that I don't care about, mostly used for breaching anyway. BUT, my go to shotgun is the Beretta 1301, to totally change the subject!

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
They're good guns, and very serviceable. The magazine tube is threaded in and loctited to the receiver, so you can heat it and remove it for replacement if necessary. Remington brazes theirs in, so if you damage it you're more than likely going to need to buy a new gun. The ejector on the Mossberg is also easier to service....its held in by a screw, not riveted like the 870. I also prefer the safety location of the Mossberg to the Remington.

The design of the action bars makes the Mossbergs feel a little sloppier than an 870, and I'm not a huge fan of the aluminum receiver. Ultimately, I own 870s out of personal preference, but there's nothing wrong with a 500/590.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 590 and a 590a1. Solid guns and I prefer them to recent production 870s.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I have both and have had a few over the years. Either is perfectly serviceable for probably 99% of all users.

A couple of things to note:

Do not use a pistol grip with these shotguns, the safety is on the tang, like on a side-by-side or over-under. Very logical (and naturally ambidextrous) for a straight stock shotgun but you obviously have to take a hand off the pistol grip or the pump to reach the safety unless you're just gigantic. While some folks consider a safety on a pump gun a frivolity, I've heard more than one instructor discourage this.

Speaking of the safety, it's plastic on every Mossberg and is a known weak point. There are aftermarket metal safeties available for low cost. Are you likely to break it? Dunno. I haven't broken any of mine. But it's a cheap fix (~$50).

Twin action bars, twin extractors, and like another user said, the ejector is bolt-in not riveted. Lots of redundancy. Don't be off-put if the pump feels kinda...eh...clunky? chonky?...when you rack it at the store. Oil the gun up and start putting shells through it, they slicken up very nice. My 590 (COVIDpocalypse buy) was chonky at the store but it's smoothed out to about the same as my 500s and my Winchester just from dry practice handling in the house.

The 590 does clock in some extra weight due to the beefier receiver and barrel but I don't really notice it once the guns are topped off and I'm shooting.

IMPORTANT NOTE: on most 500 models, the front end of the magazine tube is perma-capped with internal threads for the captive bolt on the barrel. This means you cannot just screw an extended tube on the end. Mossberg 590s, and the 500 "Breacher" model with the heavy barrel and flash hider, use a large loop that slips over the magazine tube and are externally threaded for a big ole nut that goes on the end...for these, you can just screw a +1 or +2 extension on.

Either way you go, they're popular shotguns and my three have served me well for years. Dad's "riot gun" as he calls it is a 500 Cruiser with the eight shot tube and ported barrel. He's owned it longer than I've been alive without any problems.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
They're all good.

I fell for a Talo exclusive Watchdog 2 Mossberg 500 from my LGS back in 2010. Sports a 18½" cylinder bore barrel with 3" chamber and 6 shot magazine tube. Been rock solid!
Swapped out the butt stock for a shorter Hogue overmolded number.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several 500's, 590's, and 590A1's. The 590A1 has a much heavier barrel. It's a military shotgun. If you're comfortable with a typical shotgun barrel, the 500 or 590 will do just fine.

I don't have much preference between them. They all do the job intended. I like the safety location, and the release location, both of which require no significant movement from a firing grip. If you go with a pistol grip, the Remington type release makes a bit more sense, but otherwise, I like the Mossberg.

During my time in Iraq, every shotgun I had contact with was a Mossberg, for whatever that's worth. I don't think I ever saw a Remington.

That said, my bedside shotgun is a Remington 870.

My 500's are 18", and my 590's and 590A1's are 20". I like the 18" a bit better.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate your first hand experience on both.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I added a big ole glow in the dark front sight on mine.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...005908468?pid=185189

And some Velcro for ammo cards.

Threw on a sling and I’m GTG. I keep a small flashlight next to the gun.

I’ve worked on both the Mossberg and the 870. I’m not dead set on one being better than the other. They both do the job, both have their Pros and cons….and I wouldn’t get a newer Remington but would look for a wingmaster from a pawnshop due to Remingtons lack of QC….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My very first firearm was a Mossberg Persuader package. That was some 32 years ago. It hasn’t quit yet. The 500 holds up fine but I’d spring for the 590 if you can find a deal. Overkill is a good thing!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
590A1 all the way. It has all the benefits of the 590 with some upgrades.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve got both 500 and 590A1. It’s heavier but I prefer the 590. Heavy duty gun, higher capacity.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I had a 590 and like everything about it except that the inside of my 590's barrel was parkerized I eventually sold it

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a non-A1 590 without the super heavy barrel. It's Magpul'ed with SGA and Foream. I like it. Also have a Shockwave that has been modified with a MESA Tactical buffer tube adapter, SBA4 brace, and pistol grip.

The 590A1 is nice but the 20" version is too front heavy. The 18.5 is a bit better. The heavy barrel on the A1 was intended to prevent impact damage from use on ships and general military abuse. It's not essential for a civilian shotgun, but it is more robust.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
I had a 590 and like everything about it except that the inside of my 590's barrel was parkerized I eventually sold it

Say huh??

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 870P, a 590A1 and a 590. I love the robust feel of the 590A1 but dam it's heavy when compared to the other two. The 870 and 590 handle better to me. The barrel on the 590A1 is clearly heavier.

590 on the left, 590A1 on the right.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. You have all been very helpful. Ended up with a regular 590 security with a 18.5" barrel.

Also ended up with a used 500 with a pistol grip. Wink

Both 12 ga.

Striped the 590 down to figure out how to take it down to clean and lube.

Don't have the 500 yet. But will do the same once I do.

I will probably keep one once I know how they compare and which I prefer.

Once the weather cools we will get them out and trail run them. I need to get some 00 buck. But bird shot works too.

Thanks again guys. Great info.

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
My 500 rides with me every day.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I did get my 590 out to the range yesterday. It is an 18.5" security model. 6+1. Shot a dozen rds of 1-1/8 8 shot through it with no hiccups. It was a my first time out with it. 00 buck is hard to come by and expensive so none of that yet. I will put a couple of boxes of bird shot through it to get is broken in while looking for some reasonable priced 00.
I might be looking for a Hogue or Magpul stock up grade for it. Other wise it is good. The oem stock in not terrible.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The Hogue is night and day better than the factory stock. I've got a Magpul on my SBS, but my 18.5 inch gun has the Hogue and I love it. The LOP is better for me and it just feels more solid than OEM.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post