SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR Lower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm AR Lower Login/Join 
posted
So. I’ve got myself a very nice colt 9mm upper that needs a lower. It seems that it’s not
So easy to find a complete lower. Many striped lowers but I would like a plug and play.

Specifically, would like a lower with the mag well shaped for colt mags (I don’t like how the Glock mags look)

Suggestions on where to find one or experiences?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SBR 9mm AR has a Palmetto State Armory 5.56mm plain Jane lower with 9mm mag block adapter. I have had absolutely zero issues with Colt or Metalform mags, and especially since it went through the SBR process I like having the ability to pull the mag block for 5.56mm use if desired.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Mines from CMMG. Dedicated Colt mag lower but it was bought a couple of years ago. I'm sure they are low on inventory but it couldn't hurt to check them out.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I too didn't like the way the Glock mags looked. I've built three with dedicated PSA Colt mag lowers. I had to send one back but PSA fixed it quickly. I've plenty of 5.56 AR's so I wanted a dedicated 9mm AR. I've no complaints about the quality of the PSA Colt lowers.
The current one that I use at Pistol Caliber Carbine matches runs flawlessly. It has a CMMG upper with a Spinta Precision 7.5" barrel, bolt and linear compensator. The handguard is from MidwayUSA.
It also runs a captive spring; an Armaspec SRS9 recoil system. That made a huge difference in the recoil characteristics.

Like almost everything firearm related, dedicated Colt 9mm lowers seem to be unobtainable. If I wanted one in a hurry, I would just buy some Endomags and use them with a regular (5.56) lower till I could find the appropriate lower.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Cmmg. I do not think Glock mags are an issue at all. I feel it is a big plus. I like Colt too, but would not shy away from Glock mag lowers.
Fox Trot Mike is a good to go lower as well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
While there is nothing wrong with Glock magazines. I did not own any and I don't like the way the mags are angled in a 9mm lower.

Besides, the OP says he has an actual Colt 9mm upper. Why in the world would he use a Glock mag lower? Since it is his dime and he wants a Colt mag lower, don't you think that is what he should get?

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The Cmmg is a colt pattern. Take a cold shower Razz

posted Hide Post
Which CMMG Lower would you all suggest. PSA is out of stock.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Model: MK-9

Not sure but Look up Fox Trot Mike: They might also make a Colt Pattern. They make quality stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The Cmmg is a colt pattern. Take a cold shower Razz

Hmmmm.....my 9mm CMMG takes Glock mags....have I been using the wrong mags all this time ?? Smile

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CMMG makes lowers in Colt, Glock and Sig P320 FWIW.
CMMG is a good option for a colt lower if you can stand what is likely a very long wait time as is true for most everything from CMMG at the moment.
To me another and better option would be to find a colt 9mm lower, which I'm guessing is probably expensive but not unobtanium.
Lastly it is truly trivial to put a mag block in a AR lower. And in fact the factory colt one is made that way. The Hahn mag block is a fully developed and reliable option. Of course you have to change a few other parts as well, but none outside the normal AR maintenance skill set.

I have several of each of the above there really isn't any material difference between them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quareter Circle 10 is a high end manufacturer for lowers uppers etc.. They have Colt mag lowers, Glock and Sig226 lowers. Not sure of availability, but worth a look.

Also what about an Endo Mag? can use a standard AR lower with no mods and your 9mm upper. Have heard good things about them, but no first hand experience with one. Definitely would scratch the itch without going all in.

I do prefer the Colt mags as well. I have an early PSA Colt lower. They just look right, if that makes any sense.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The Hahn mag block mentioned is an excellent set up. I forgot about that. I have one and it is great vs a dedicated lower. Which I also have. Both Colt and Glock. For me the Glock looks better. So it is a personal thing. Good luck finding what you are after.

posted Hide Post

Meh. I don't mind the Glock pattern lowers.

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had a PSA 9mm AR with the mag block.
It worked fine with colt mags.
I ended up getting a cmmg glock version.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8012 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Have you considered these? I have the CMMG version of these that I use with my radially-delayed blowback gun. They are modified slightly as the CMMG bolt has it's own ejector, so there's no integral ejector in the mag, but otherwise I think they're pretty much the same product. They've been very reliable, and allow you to use a standard lower:

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm

Posts: 8539 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the PSA Colt pattern lower I have was the only available option when QC10 and DDLES were going through whatever legal spat they had. Were I to buy today, it would definitely be a CMMG lower. QC10 is nice but seems to be very small production lots so you'll be waiting a long time if not on the shelf.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post