SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Palmetto St. Armory delimma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Palmetto St. Armory delimma Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I decided to order and upper without bcg and CH. But added them separately. the bcg and ch shipped first. About a week later the upper arrived. About in the time i figured. a couple of weeks or there bouts.

Once in hand I attempted to put the three components together but to my surprise the ch would not fit into the cutouts in the top of the receiver, huh. So I took another ch from another rifle I have and it fit no problem. Actually the new ch fig into my other upper, wth?
So I went ahead and put the upper onto my lower with my used ch and the new bcg. The front pin fought me a bit but was able to get it in. The rear pin started but nope it was enough mis-aligned that it did not want to go I did not want to force it. Now I am at wtf?
So I take the upper to my other rifles lower. It was tight but was able to get both pins in. After some lube and exercising it seemed ok, albeit tight. So I go back to the other lower which is the one I intend on using it with. And it will go now but is pretty tight. Think it will loosen a bit with use.

I am befuttled about the new ch not fitting the new upper.

Would like to hear some thoughts on the ordeal. Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have some tolerance stacking issues going on. Something on the top end of spec and something else on the low end leading to some fits and clearances issues.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
call PSA. I have never had a problem with them, but I understand they will take care of issues.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hit up Josiah at Palmetto st armory customer service. He’s usually pretty good.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
If you got the pins to finally go through, I wouldn’t worry about it unless you’re worried about it damaging the retainer pin holes on the lower … tight is good, to a point. I agree that there is some minor issues with tolerance.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
Since my original post I bought a used Rock River complete lower. I ordered a PSA complete upper to go with it. The hinge pin fits just fine, but the take down pin would not go into the upper. I did some web cruising and decided to slightly enlarge the hole in the upper. So far the pin goes 1/2way through the upper hole. I have another complete RRA, and the fit on the take down pin is tighter than necessary.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe put a tiny bit of good grease on the pin if you plan to keep. I think PSA has some issues. Such as the CH not fitting in the uppers cutouts on mine. They need to do better. This is pretty basic quality control that is lacking. Disappointing. I am thinking of returning mine and using the funds toward a LaRue upper now.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post