SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Spare BCG/Bolt storage methods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare BCG/Bolt storage methods Login/Join 
posted
I've got a number of spare bolts and bolt carrier groups, I usually have them wrapped in a rag and put into plastic storage container. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this but, anybody store their spares differently?

I have a friend who has some serious OCD and he went out, bought poster-tubes, cut them to size to create individual storage containers for each of his BCGs. Of course, they're all appropriately labeled and stored in a similarly well labeled Rubbermaid container with latches. Before this, he had them stored in Otter boxes, yes the waterproof containers you'd put your valuables before a boating/paddling outing.

Posts: 14548 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My spares are kept in the original boxes or tubes they came in. I have a few PSA/tool crafts and they come in a nice round tube.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the liquor store. Usually high end whiskies and scotches come in the little shooter sizes with the cardboard tubes.
Perfect size.
And after you get done packing them with bolts, you have a relaxing finish.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I've got a number of spare bolts and bolt carrier groups, I usually have them wrapped in a rag and put into plastic storage container. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this but, anybody store their spares differently?

I lube well, wrap in an rag and put in a ziploc bag that goes in a rifle bag, one for each AR.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Maybe get some storage tubes? These are 2" x 8.25".

https://www.amazon.com/Prestig...%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-14

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I store them in my spare uppers it seems. Smile

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They are just sitting in the safe in the plastic bag they arrived in.
Am I doing it wrong??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
They are just sitting in the safe in the plastic bag they arrived in.
Am I doing it wrong??

Nope, ziplock and some CLP for me.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Stumbled across this and I'm sold.

Ziplock with some G96 in it. Doesn't take much. It solved the problems I had of applying it while in the gun and cycling and excess and all that. It ends up coating everything evenly and in a manner I can't replicate without wasting oil.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
G96

I say this to all of the similar posts. Many systems may work under your conditions. But if you want the system that is proven to work under the most severe conditions, put the parts in a VCI sealed bag. They are cheap, easy to get and effective.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I store them in my spare uppers it seems. Smile

Or spare complete rifles.

I have found my guns remarkably durable, and haven’t broken anything. For every type of shooting activity I engage in, my method is to have a primary and a spare in case of breakage. So far in 40 years, I haven’t broken anything that resulted in a gun being down for a protracted period of time. And some years, based on my reloading logs ( which don’t encompass factory ammo shot) I have shot as much as 20k a year.

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I wrap mine in Cortec paper left over from locomotive air break parts from my old railroad days…never any issues…I still use the same treated paper for my firearm storage today.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a vacuum sealer in my shop.
I vacuum seal ammo, gun parts, and entire guns, if they fit.
Easy and fast to do, able to write on the bags to ID the contents.
The vacuum bags are very tough.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post