SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So Close! Curse you, "flyer!"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Close! Curse you, "flyer!" Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I installed my carry-handle on my heavy barreled AR and I was setting up my front sight cant angle and post height zero with Creedmoor 77 grain match ammo. I set up some service rifle targets out at 100 yards. I rattled off five rounds and four of my five landed under 1/2". The flyer brought it out to three inches! Mad

I didn't look at the target until I was done shooting, so I don't know if the flyer was the cold bore shot or not. This was just my warm-up group.

All in all, it was still a good day. Looks like I'm averaging around 1.5 MOA with iron sights. Still got some pretty decent groups. I'm now within 1/2 MOA of center with this ammo. I was struggling a little bit with sight picture as the pollen was horrible yesterday and my eyes were a little watery.

I ended up filling my buttstock with lead shot and it comes in around 13.5 pounds now. Don't know if I'll install the float tube weights or not. That would add another 2 pounds.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What's your (primary) purpose in adding weight to the rifle?

Good shooting with irons, BTW. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Some shooters have different reasons.
-Balance of the rifle for shooting 200 yard unsupported standing, or offhand (or awful-hand) position.
-Harder to move or drift away from the target in the offhand position.
-Reduces recoil in rapid-fire strings and stays on target better than a lighter rifle does.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by: "I was setting up my front sight cant angle"?

Posts: 2679 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
-Reduces recoil in rapid-fire strings and stays on target better than a lighter rifle does.

Okay, thanks. They are two of the exact reasons for having heavier rifles that I mentioned in another thread. Great minds, and all that. Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/8120008094/p/3

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
What do you mean by: "I was setting up my front sight cant angle"?

Normally, you just adjust your rear sight windage and your front sight elevation to zero your iron sights. This is normally because the front sight is taper-pinned and the front sight base is fixed.

When I built this rifle, I drilled and tapped holes for 8/32 set screws instead of taper pins. I also machined flats on the barrel so that I can set my rear sight to mechanical zero and adjust the cant angle of my front sight post to zero my rifle.

This was my first attempt at machining flats on a barrel. I made them about 3x bigger than what's pictured to make it work properly. It was a lot of trial and error.

Here's the rifle in question...

So now my rear sight is bottomed out and set to mechanical zero. I'm hitting within 1/2 MOA of the bull at 100 yards now.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Okay, thanks. They are two of the exact reasons for having heavier rifles that I mentioned in another thread. Great minds, and all that. Wink

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/8120008094/p/3

I like how you think! My most fun and accurate bench guns are 13 to 18 pound rifles. Smile

Tony.

Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I built this rifle, I drilled and tapped holes for 8/32 set screws instead of taper pins. I also machined flats on the barrel so that I can set my rear sight to mechanical zero and adjust the cant angle of my front sight post to zero my rifle....

Aarghhh... That sounds terrifying. Smile Wink I think I'd rather have my front sight completely immobile(other than post height) to eliminate one set of variables and just worry about moving the rear.

Posts: 2679 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If it were at Camp Perry, it would have been
"Oh, damn, I must have hit a Mayfly." Smile

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Iron sights at 100 yds....... I remember those days. Now I need optics. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post