SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Upgrading an M1 with a Criterion barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading an M1 with a Criterion barrel Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Ignoring the reality of individual rifle/barrel variations, is a Criterion barrel likely to be a worthwhile upgrade for competing in military rifle matches greater than 100 yards?

I'm thinking of only the basic installation and head spacing service from CMP.

(Mine has an original barrel but shoots fairly well at 100 yards)

I think it would still be eligible for "As Issued" Rifle Events.

Surely, Shirley, upgrading to a HEAVY match barrel installation barrel would not, but maybe a Krieger GI Contour Match Barrel would be OK?

4.2 As-Issued Military Rifles
4.2.1 General As-Issued Military Rifle Requirements

The following rules apply to all as-issued U. S. and foreign military rifles unless
specific exceptions are noted in these rules:

e) Rebarreling with a barrel of as-issued dimensions is permitted. A
replacement barrel must have the same exact contours and cuts as the
original as-issued barrel;

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/...ds/CMPGamesRules.pdf

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Criterion makes nice barrels.

That said, a barrel alone is not what makes a Garand accurate/inaccurate. Things like stock and handguard fit as well as gas cylinder fit make a big difference too.

What is your existing barrel as far as manufacturer throat erosion and muzzle wear?

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a Special Rack with a new Criterion Barrel, and a Service Grade Springfield with an H&R barrel dated '54, IIRC. I don't remember the muzzle erosion numbers on the Service Grade, but IIRC it was pretty good. Both guns shoot about the same (about 2-2.5MOA on a good day), and I daresay I am likely more the limiting factor than the firearm in both cases.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Where in Florida are you? I'm having my ATF interview tomorrow to reinstate my FFL, but this time to an 07 license. Hopefully I can be up and running in a week or two. Even if not, come on over and I can teach you how to re-barrel it and even convert it to 308 if you need. You actually get another 1/2" or so of rifling that way.

Criterion barrels are well worth the money. If it's a 30-06 short-chamber, I can order a '06 Serengeti reamer and cut the chamber to spec.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, for helping.

benny6, I am on the east coast near the Space Center.

Its a service grade SA .30-06 from CMP in Spring of 2018.
Muzzle reading 1+
Throat reading 2+

I returned it to the CMP for work because the front sight was canted.

They quickly serviced and shipped it back.

The armorer's comments were: 'indexed barrel, changed gas cylinder and band. Changed op rod spring, reworked bolt. Test fired with 2 8 round clips.'

I subsequently fired it at 100 yards satisfactorily, and later,

I had tried it at 200 yards in a military rifle match but I couldn't really see the bullseye and withdrew that day. <--- In typing that, I just realized that maybe
there's no real need to modify the rifle any further.

Its the rifle I used on page 5&6 of the Sig postal match this past fall. https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...858/m/1330080484/p/5

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! We can get together sometime and do some shooting.

One of my projects this year is to dive deep into M1 NM mods. I need to do some serious testing with my personal M1 and see how bedding improves its performance.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and yes, some shooting some weekend.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Nice rifle! We can get together sometime and do some shooting.

One of my projects this year is to dive deep into M1 NM mods. I need to do some serious testing with my personal M1 and see how bedding improves its performance.

Tony.

When you do that, please share the details here! I just put NM sights on my Special Rack, but the jury is still out on how much of a difference it made. I've only shot it once since I put them on, and my groups seemed to be about the same as before. While I'm perfectly willing to accept that the limiting factor is likely more me than the gun, there's still that nagging thought in the back of my mind that a complete bedding job might be in order.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to be able to meet people in the next 2 weeks. The inside of the house is nearly done and I'm starting to work on my garage now. I got my RCBS turret press and Dillon 550 mounted to the bench this morning. I dismantled all my firearms for the move and I transported every receiver across the country myself. I have yet to reassemble any of them.

Getting closer!

Tony.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Where in Florida are you? I'm having my ATF interview tomorrow to reinstate my FFL, but this time to an 07 license. Hopefully I can be up and running in a week or two. Even if not, come on over and I can teach you how to re-barrel it and even convert it to 308 if you need. You actually get another 1/2" or so of rifling that way.

Criterion barrels are well worth the money. If it's a 30-06 short-chamber, I can order a '06 Serengeti reamer and cut the chamber to spec.

Tony.

off topic but kinda relevant to the first sentence

my brother opened a second location recently, and while the FFL Business address was the same, the premise was an add on ( we have 2 locations now)

it took 6-8 weeks or so before the FFL arrived,

after the interview (and we knew it was approved during the interview)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Don't buy a Serengeti reamer. I have mine in .30/06 that I used on my Winchester project. I'd be willing to loan it to you if you need it...

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post