SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New dedicated AR15.22 build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New dedicated AR15.22 build Login/Join 
posted
I built this pistol using a Aero Precision upper and lower and the 4.5” CMMG barrel and bolt kit. This little guy is slick and has run 200 rds of CCI standard velocity at 100% function. Accuracy is great and shooting it is great fun. I am thinking of buying the kit with the 17” barrel for a lightweight fun gun. What are you guys using for dedicated .22’s on the AR platform?

25yd 10 shot group. That dot is 1”, so it it shooting well.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have an old M261 kit that I used with a pencil barrel years ago for offhand practice at an indoor range,

decent accuracy with it,

bought a Smith 15\22 when they first came out and it also works very well,
I did replace the trigger,

I also did a cheap build with a complete upper on sale at Zanders, and a USArms polymer lower,

the lower did not like the upper, due to the plastic and wide hammer, so I replaced the trigger group with normal steel stuff and it is damn accurate for what it cost,, (less than #$300,, at the time)

I want to buy an Accuracy Speaks or CLE dedicated upper, but no longer shoot Service Rifle enough to justify the expense

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P 15/22 for me.
It's a great little rifle, accurate and fun to shoot. I have a 1x prism on top of it that fills the need.
I haven't shot in a while until I introduced my daughter's boyfriend to shooting. I forgot how fun that is to shoot.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
CMMG dedicated upper with an 8.5" barrel.

Aside from a broken charging handle less than a box into it, the thing has been 100% reliable (shot almost entirely suppressed) with any ammo I've put in it. Though, for the price and the time I waited for it, it should be.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JP Rifles 22lr upper. I'm quite pleased with its performance. It's built tight and the chamber must be cleaned regularly.

I use it primarily for close training on steel targets. Can't really do that with an AR15, as the 223 ammo pits the AR500 surface at anything less than 100 yards. I shot the JP in one rimfire steel match. It hung well with the precision bolt action rifles to about 100 yards, did OK out to around 150 yards, then suffered by comparison on the plates from 150-200 yards.

The JP consistently produces 1/2" to 3/4" 5-round groups at 50 yards with many match ammo types. At 100 yards with ammo that the barrel likes, groups are 1" to 1-1/4". I haven't kept photos of the results.

The following is 5 rounds of Wolf Match Extra at 100 yards on a 4" steel square. Group size of .81 inches. My notes state wind was around 7mph from my right. I held just below the bottom of the bolt and maybe an inch right of the right edge of plate.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
built a .22LR SBR using CMMG barrel and rail, can't remember which 22 suppressor. I use S&W MP15-22 mags with it.

Of course my son wasn't happy with it and rebuilt it into this:

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of CMMG's (different barrel lengths), a couple of TAC sols (I don't think they make these anymore) and a JPE.
I use them exclusively for AR training at short ranges. Using minimags (which is really all I use in semi auto's) they run decently with a pretty low maintenance need. I run them with a dead air mask mostly, don't seem to care.
In the scheme of things based on my experience including the mess of actual obtaining an upper if I was buying another I would get a JP.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I have a M&P 15-22 and my son has a Hammerli Tac-21 (made by Walther/Umarex). Both a lot of fun, and pretty bullet-proof performance. We run Mini-Mags through both.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a CMMG conversion that has only sat on the shelf after I bought the 8.5” CMMG 22 PDW dedicated upper. I usually shoot it on one of my SBR receivers but depending on my mood it’s also fun on my M16, at the time I couldn’t find another company that offered a full-auto AR 22 upper.

I’ve been thinking about another AR-22 and it sounds like a JP will be in my future … I’ve used their barrels and bought several uppers over the last couple decades and never been disappointed.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a real AR, with a custom precision barrel. The S&W guns are so light, it is hard to be accurate when shooting offhand. The target was at 100 yards on a windy day.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I’ve got a CMMG conversion that has only sat on the shelf after I bought the 8.5” CMMG 22 PDW dedicated upper. I usually shoot it on one of my SBR receivers but depending on my mood it’s also fun on my M16, at the time I couldn’t find another company that offered a full-auto AR 22 upper.

I’ve been thinking about another AR-22 and it sounds like a JP will be in my future … I’ve used their barrels and bought several uppers over the last couple decades and never been disappointed.

I have one of those CMMG conversion kits, use it in a PSA 16” upper with rifle length gas system. Open sights with a carry handle. I mainly use it on steel targets between 25 and 150 feet.

As long as I hear a ping or a clang I’m happy.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post