SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt 6920 sbr or no?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 6920 sbr or no? Login/Join 
posted
Debating on getting a stamp for one of my colt 6920. Any reason not to? I want to stay in the 11 inch area. Does anyone have one?

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
Debating on getting a stamp for one of my colt 6920. Any reason not to? I want to stay in the 11 inch area. Does anyone have one?

I SBR'd one. First went with a 14.5" 6921 upper in place of the 6920 upper, then went with a 6945CK (10.3") and suppressed. I wanted to SBR a quality lower for once, as my other SBR's had been Anderson's. I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I love mine, Commando upper 11.5" it's a tack driver at 50yds. just sighted in with an MRO, supressed it is super enjoyable. I use a H2 buffer and a Sprinco spring. super soft shooter, I'm getting ready to stamp another this time with a Colt 11.5 monolithic upper. Next range trip I'm going to do 100yds.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Do you plan to suppress it?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
just get the factory 6933 (ftw) Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Might as well, it's easy to do as long as you are going to get a new Colt upper for it.

I wouldn't waste the time & money to chop a good 6920 upper though, but get a complete SBR upper.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
just get the factory 6933 (ftw) Wink

Sure, and wait 10-14 months. Or Get a 6920, Form 1 it as an individual wait 12-30 days, replace barrel, gas system, and hand guard.

I have a AP lower 300aac build i just form 1'd today.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also purchased a Colt 6945 upper and attached it to my Colt 6920 lower after my SBR filing cleared... Funny David mentions wanting a quality SBR - I have one SIG 556 SBR and two S&W SBR’s but I always wanted a Colt SBR....

My 6945 SBR suppressed or non-suppressed is my favorite SBR to shoot - HANDS DOWN.......Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

FYI:

A Colt 6920 barrel gas port is .0625.
A Colt 6933 barrel gas port is .074.

For 10.5" to 11.5" barrels, a gas port sized at .070 has been proven to be ideal for a reliable suppressed/unsuppressed gun shooting quality "milspec" ammo.

Sionics offers an 11.5" "Reduced Gas Port" chrome lined barrel with a .070 gas port.

Centurion Arms will soon be offering hammer forged/chrome lined short barrels in three different lengths.
10.3"/.071 gp "Crane Spec"
11.5"/.070 gp "FBI spec"
12.5"/.064 gp (Centurion Arms "original spec")

There are a few legit gunsmiths who can/will do an excellent job cutting down a 6920 barrel and opening the gas port to a proper spec.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure, and wait 10-14 months.

Wow, I had not idea. Usually Clydes has in stock. I wonder why there is that kind of lead time, if in fact it is that long?

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 6933, especially since there is no need to engrave it as it is already engraved. It says "Colt" Smile Factory SBR, all the way.
The wait for the stamp is annoying, yes.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Sure, and wait 10-14 months.

Wow, I had not idea. Usually Clydes has in stock. I wonder why there is that kind of lead time, if in fact it is that long?

Current efile F1s run about a month average (some longer, some shorter). My paper F4s are running about 10 months. Remember, F1 is only for making a SBR. If you buy an existing SBR, it’s a Form 4 transfer and you’re looking at the 10 month timeframe.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:

FYI:

For 10.5" to 11.5" barrels, a gas port sized at .070 has been proven to be ideal for a reliable suppressed/unsuppressed gun shooting quality "milspec" ammo.

Sionics offers an 11.5" "Reduced Gas Port" chrome lined barrel with a .070 gas port.

Centurion Arms will soon be offering hammer forged/chrome lined short barrels in three different lengths.
11.5"/.070 gp "FBI spec"

There are a few legit gunsmiths who can/will do an excellent job cutting down a 6920 barrel and opening the gas port to a proper spec.

tp

Colt offers a fbi hrt barrel in 11.5 with the .70 port. It is a heavy barrel though.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

FYI:

11.5"/.070 gp "FBI spec"

tp

Colt offers a fbi hrt barrel in 11.5 with the .70 port. It is a heavy barrel though.

The Colt 11.5" Heavy Barrel (FBI HRT special order) complete barrel assembly is typically difficult to find in stock, is overpriced (because "FBI") and very heavy. It would however, make an excellent candidate to have Marvin Pitts work his dimple magic on if you don't mind basically doubling the price of the barrel. There are a few in stock here and there, but they are way overpriced and/or in the case of one "dealer", likely not in original factory configuration.

Getting a 6920 barrel cut down/threaded/gas port opened up to .070 is not cost prohibitive and works perfectly if done correctly.

A Colt OEM 1 or 2 + barrel work + Form 1 SBR/NFA stamp fee + engraving can be had at or below the base cost of a 6933.

A 6933 complete rifle and/or complete upper is an excellent choice if you don't want to mess with the 6920 process previously outlined.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
You can also submit for the stamp on the 6933 lower and then save for/price shop for a 6933 upper, while you wait.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current very short turnaround for eForm 1 transactions makes this pretty appealing versus buying a factory SBR, in my opinion.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
You can also submit for the stamp on the 6933 6920 lower and then save for/price shop for a 6933 upper, while you wait.

Bruce

Fixed...

tp

posted Hide Post
I picked up a colt for 600.00 so changing out the barrel would be cheaper then buying a colt 6933.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
You can also submit for the stamp on the 6933 6920 lower and then save for/price shop for a 6933 upper, while you wait.

Bruce

Fixed...

tp

Nope, not fixed.

The whole point of the 6933 lower over the 6920 is that the 6920 is not a factory SBR and would need to be engraved, after the Form 1.
The 6933 transfers on a Form 4 and needs no engraving as Colt made it as an SBR.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
btw, to the op. No, I would not sbr your 6920.
They are extremely lightweight and handi already. Pretty much a prefect package. No need, imho. Wink